Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Trailer Harness Extension

wedge88

Has anyone come up with a good way to extend the trailer harness to the tow vehicle?  I picked up my 18' 22VLX last night and boy was it a stretch to get trailer pin to truck.  I have a 14' Ford F250 so it's not above the bumper like the newer trucks have (which would be even worse.)  I may contact Malibu or look for a replacement "longer" harness but thought I would start here.  Just seems like it's going to be an issue over time.  It also took some serious force to get the safety cables to the truck.  I know my Bulletproof hitch pushes everything back a few extra inches but wasn't an issue with my 15' A22 on boatmate trailer.

36 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Has anyone come up with a good way to extend the trailer harness to the tow vehicle?  I picked up my 18' 22VLX last night and boy was it a stretch to get trailer pin to truck.  I have a 14' Ford F250 so it's not above the bumper like the newer trucks have (which would be even worse.)  I may contact Malibu or look for a replacement "longer" harness but thought I would start here.  Just seems like it's going to be an issue over time.  It also took some serious force to get the safety cables to the truck.  I know my Bulletproof hitch pushes everything back a few extra inches but wasn't an issue with my 15' A22 on boatmate trailer.

Just buy a readily available trailer harness extension cord.  They sell them pretty much anywhere you buy trailer stuff.  Or just make one,

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just buy a readily available trailer harness extension cord.  They sell them pretty much anywhere you buy trailer stuff.  Or just make one,

That may be what I do but seems odd that after picking up a new boat that I should have to start changing parts that should be somewhat universal fitting.  I can't be the first the person with a 2018 that has this issue so want to see if the issue is with others and if not, my trailer may have just got a short kit.  We have some newer pickups at work with the 7 pin by the license plate and I don't think I could stretch mine far enough for those.

10 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

That may be what I do but seems odd that after picking up a new boat that I should have to start changing parts that should be somewhat universal fitting.  I can't be the first the person with a 2018 that has this issue so want to see if the issue is with others and if not, my trailer may have just got a short kit.  We have some newer pickups at work with the 7 pin by the license plate and I don't think I could stretch mine far enough for those.

You asked - Has anyone come up with a good way to extend the trailer harness to the tow vehicle?

So it seems that you are not interested in fixing the problem just complaining about it.  Carry on ;)

Phone your dealer. Obviously something is wrong here as your truck has the plug in literally the closest point possible. If it is super tight now just wait until you go around a corner.  

1 hour ago, wedge88 said:

I can't be the first the person with a 2018 that has this issue so want to see if the issue is with others and if not, my trailer may have just got a short kit.  We have some newer pickups at work with the 7 pin by the license plate and I don't think I could stretch mine far enough for those.

You might be. I have a 2018 23 lsv and my ram has the trailer connection next to the license plate, above the bumper. I have no issues with length of the trailer wiring harness or the safety cables reaching the hitch. 

I do have 6” lift with 37” tires (6" drop hitch) but hauled my A22 with no issues for cable or chain length.  Parents TXI and family members 17’ 21VLX have all been hauled with this truck and no issues with those.

Edited by wedge88
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You asked - Has anyone come up with a good way to extend the trailer harness to the tow vehicle?

So it seems that you are not interested in fixing the problem just complaining about it.  Carry on ;)

Not quite sure how this is complaining, but thanks again for putting in your $.02.  

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Phone your dealer. Obviously something is wrong here as your truck has the plug in literally the closest point possible. If it is super tight now just wait until you go around a corner.  

The turns are my concern.  I got it home over 30 miles but mostly highway.  If I just pulled the door of the housing open it would shoot out of there like a slingshot so the plastic tab isn't going to last long.  I am going to get a measurement of the cable and harness when I get home and have the dealer check some other trailers on the lot.  

52 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I do have 6” lift with 37” tires (6" drop hitch) but hauled my A22 with no issues for cable or chain length.  Parents TXI and family members 17’ 21VLX have all been hauled with this truck and no issues with those.

There you go.  I don't think that you can expect that every trailer is going to have enough extra cord for non stock setups.    I have to run an extension to tow my inlaws 2004 LXI on my stock height truck.  In any event it is a maybe $40 issue if you buy an extension and $15 if you make one.  Not something that I would waste even 10 minutes with a dealer over.

If malibu makes their trailers the same way that boatmate used to - fold your tounge and look for where the 7 pin cable attaches to a 5 pin connector inside the tongue and just get a longer adapter cable

Edited by oldjeep
41 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Not quite sure how this is complaining, but thanks again for putting in your $.02.  

It's because you asked for a solution, were given one and then said - well shouldn't it just fit (my lifted truck with aftermarket bumpers on it)

4 hours ago, wedge88 said:

It also took some serious force to get the safety cables to the truck. 

I would worry more about this, something is going to bend or snap.

• Like 1

My 2018 LSV hooked to my 2017 F-250 with 6inch drop hitch has more then enough length.  I have at least 6-10 inches more of stretch to the cable.  I think you have a short cable. 

Edited by SCMike
22 minutes ago, SCMike said:

My 2018 LSV hooked to my 2017 F-250 with 6inch drop hitch has more then enough length.  I have at least 6-10 inches more of stretch to the cable.  I think you have a short cable. 

Maybe, but why would his safety cables be to short too?   Pictures would clear up the issue. 

This seems almost impossible unless some one changed the curled plug line fir shorter one to get rid of slack , that coiled wire would stretch  pretty far snd still have slack