Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add a swim ladder to 2008 SunScape LSV

SlingShot

I just bought a 2008 SunScape LSV.  We are very experienced boaters but this is our first full-on ski boat.  We are super excited to start surfing and get the kids (8 and 11) into water sports.  The previous owner had spent gobs of money on upgrades not long before I bought it.  Illusion tower with bimini, full plug and play ballast system, Roswell tower speakers, big amp, bigger alternator, dual battery system, and...and...and...

One thing we want to add is a set of stainless, retractable swim steps.  My mom sometimes comes with us and shimmy-ing up onto the platform would be difficult.  She's 74 but still loves swimming with the kids.  

Does anyone have any experience/do's/don'ts with adding a swim ladder to my setup?  It has the floating wedge and standard exhaust (no FAE).

I have a 2010 LSV that had a ladder installed. I removed to add GSA. The ladder boards from the side. PM me if you are interested in it. I can take pictures of how it was mounted and you can compare if the mounting areas are the same.

Of course the boat is in storage so i can't get any measurements....however, from my pics, it doesn't look like there is enough room to mount it on the side.  Would run into the support bracket.  Maybe out the back someplace?  Was looking at a ladder like this one:

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 1.40.20 PM.jpg

That is very close to the same ladder that I have mounted on mine.  Mine is mounted in the center off the back.  It does not interfere with the wake or wedge / wedge door operation.  Mine is mounted to a teak platform, so i used screws and lag bolts after welding an additional flange on the outsides.  

For you there are a couple ways to mount it,

1.  peel back the rubber mat and use carriage bolts and thru bolt the ladder. 

2.  Add some blocking to the under side for the screws to have more bite when going up from the bottom.

3. weld additional flanges onto the ladder so that you can use more screws and spread the load out more.  

I'll find some pictures of mine.

Here is the only photo that I can find at the moment.  I know that I have posted this here before in another thread.  Anyways,  as you can see I welded an additional flange to the outside of the ladder on both sides for more mounting locations.  There are 10 screws holding it in place plus 6 lag screws in the original locations.

The grey at the bottom of the ladder is an additional brace that I made and screwed to the teak (this was the photoshop mock up).  I had a couple screws pull out and the boards were flexing too much.  

image.png.6f9ed009a5ddc2d8c9b3f7fec6b0f633.png

5 hours ago, SlingShot said:

Of course the boat is in storage so i can't get any measurements....however, from my pics, it doesn't look like there is enough room to mount it on the side.  Would run into the support bracket.  Maybe out the back someplace?  Was looking at a ladder like this one:

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 1.40.20 PM.jpg

I have this exact ladder and it works well.  I have a teak platform so I went with lag bolts.  Super easy for me to install and use.  It made the (then very pregnant) wife happy last summer.  Makes the heavy platform heavy as a beee though.  

• 2 months later...

My ladder is attached to swim platform on Starboard side.  It's a 2008 20LSV, similar to the VTX.  It was a option with boat from factory.  However it looks like a different platform bracket from your 2008 boat?

IMG_2959.JPG

• 2 months later...

I ended up installing that ladder I posted earlier.  I made 1" square aluminum spacers to bring it below the lip of the swim platform.  It's a tight fit to the wedge in the retracted position.  About 3/16" of clearance.  I through bolting it with button head stainless screws, mounted straight out the center of the swim platform.  

Overall very happy with the result.  On to the next project!!!  I have a hum in my stereo system when the volume is low.  I am guessing a filter needs to be put on the power line???