Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrong capacity tag

Pat502

So we were at the lake over the holidays and went by the storage to do a few things to the boat.  After digging around with the stereo I noticed the capacity tag is incorrect.  We have an 05 VLX but the tag shows capacity of 14 and is for an LSV.  Any ideas why it would have been changed?

I'd have to go look it up, but weren't there a few years where the difference between LSV and VLX was cosmetic? It could be that the same placard applies to both boats due to similar hulls in a given year. Take a look in the resources section for an '05 catalog that should have all the specs on the last few pages. If it's really wrong that might be a USCG issue and Malibu might need to provide a corrected placard for you. After you check the '05 catalog, you might consider a call or email to Malibu customer support, make sure to include your HIN so they can look it up.

I looked and page #36 might help:
https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/malibu/malibu_2005_brochure.pdf

There are multiple VLX and LSV models due to the Wakesetter and Sunscape lines, each with different capacities. A call/email to Malibu will help confirm the exact boat you have and if the placard is correct

Edited by mikeo
research

Same thing happened to me. I purchased a 2012 A22, after getting it on our lift I noticed it had an A20 tag on it. I was so confused, I even measured the boat to make sure it was in fact 22 feet long. Never did figure out why it was there. Dealer sent me the correct tag and I switched them.

i would leave it in the rare event you get hassled by lake patrol for being over weight or capacity.  of course stay under safe specs, but if they messed up from the factory there's no reason to create more work for yourself for that one time you're idling around the lake with one extra person...

Had a very pleasant conversation and experience with Malibu today.   Gave the gentleman in tech support the hull number and confirmed for whatever reason wrong tag.  Up to date replacement coming in the mail!

• Like 2

Yes sir called Malibu directly.  I don’t ever see us having more than 7 or 8 but I just like thinks in order.  Chatted it up with the guy for a bit and hit him with the questions.  He looked it up and said the correct tag should be 13 and would get one heading my way, which I thought was supposed to be 11 but who am I to argue. I was hoping to get a replacement windscreen also since it’s missing but no dice....He also gave me his direct line if I needed anything else.  Again, very pleasant experience.  

• Like 3
On 1/16/2019 at 9:04 AM, jtryon said:

i would leave it in the rare event you get hassled by lake patrol for being over weight or capacity.  of course stay under safe specs, but if they messed up from the factory there's no reason to create more work for yourself for that one time you're idling around the lake with one extra person...

Except you are not legally required to have that tag on a boat 20' or larger.  There are wake boat builders that do not have them at all.

OP, rip it off and don't worry about it.