Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

remote turn on if I go deckless

hawaiianstyln

I'm weighing some options here of either going with a Fusion head unit since they have wireless waterproof remotes (plus they are under $50 per remote and you can run several).  Or going completely deckles as I already have the Exile Bluetooth module.  If I go deckles and get rid of the JBL blackbox, how can I wire up the amps since I will no longer have a remote turn on wire from a head unit?

Seems it would be cheaper and wiser to go completely deckless if all we ever do is use everyone's BT streaming from their phones.  However, I would have a 3/4" hole on my transom if I removed the Malibu Wired remote.  (if I went Fusion, I would put a fusion wireless remote in that spot)

11 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

...........how can I wire up the amps since I will no longer have a remote turn on wire from a head unit?  I use the master stereo on/off switch on the dash to power a relay which sends the signal to each amp, and powers on the BT receiver, and the WS 420 EQ.

.........  However, I would have a 3/4" hole on my transom if I removed the Malibu Wired remote.  I have an original sony control on the transom that has no function other than to plug the hole drilled when it was installed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

Im gonna follow.........wanting to do the same thing here...I hate the JBL blackbox thing......

yah the main head unit which is installed in the walkthrough to the bow just went out on me and I never use the MUX controller to manage the stereo since we manage it all through our phones.  I have an Exile ZLD (which is basically like the Wetsounds EQ) that I use as the master volume.  So I'm really unsure what to do.  If I go 100% deckless I guess I'm leaving the Malibu wired remote on the back of the transom because of the 3/4" hole I drilled to mount that thing last year.

@hawaiianstyln mine all works most of the time, just dont like the whole set up. was thinking the Wetsounds BT-420 or whatever it is but dont really need all that adjustment as I am not really a stereo guy.  how is that Exile ZLD?

1 minute ago, mackie12 said:

how is that Exile ZLD?

LOVE this thing.  It has a master volume so the head unit is turned up to 90% and left there.  Then I use the master volume on the ZLD, but ZLD also has Tower volume/Cabin speaker volume/Bass Volume/Bass frequency and tuning/mid bass/Treble

7 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@hawaiianstyln mine all works most of the time, just dont like the whole set up. was thinking the Wetsounds BT-420 or whatever it is but dont really need all that adjustment as I am not really a stereo guy.  how is that Exile ZLD?

What adjustment do you not need? Consider the WS-220. Along with blue tooth, its a 4 zone volume control, and does not have the EQ tone controls. 

@MLA Not sure I can really answer that......stereo sounds fine the way I have it set up now, just dont like having to plug in phone, turn stereo on via MUX box and stuff......ya I know lazy......

@hawaiianstyln Nice! never thought of that, do you hit it with your shins at all? or have any kids that cant resist playing with the knobs......

good question, I've hit it once in 50 hours but for the most part no.  I suppose if I did hit it more, I would recess it back a little further and that would solve the problem.

I wanted to flush mount that on the helm left of the steering wheel below the left MUX controller and then I realized if it ever rained the windshield would not protect that area and would get ruined..  why I mounted it vertical under the helm instead.

15 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

perhaps a dumb question, but would something like this work,

https://www.amazon.ca/Wet-Sounds-Bluetooth-Universal-WW-BT-VC/dp/B01MS6ZS3R/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1547504672&sr=8-13&keywords=wetsounds

would it be able to send power to tell the amp to turn on?

A universal BT like that, would give you the wireless interface and not need any interaction with or from the existing black box head unit. As long as none of those traditional features are desired moving forward. 

Turning the amps on/off is not a problem. 

31 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I am liking that wetsounds 420 BT one, only because it has a microphone though.......the possibilities are endless!

All 3 of their options, include the talkback MIC. I like the 4 zone 220 as it gives you that 4th zone for say, the bow. Quite zone for kids/spouse. 

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

I Like it better this way. If you get caught in a gully washer, it's going to get wet anyway. image.thumb.png.41918f2df6e0ec5de1f20f9acb07416e.png

You know you have a good point.  I really would rather mount it the way you have it. I might change it but my worry is if it rains it gets hit directly

27 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

You know you have a good point.  I really would rather mount it the way you have it. I might change it but my worry is if it rains it gets hit directly

They are supposed to be resistant to water. That being said, I did have to send mine back a couple times and they took care of it by replacement or repair.

I tried to cover it up if we got caught in the rain.

Edited by dalt1
47 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

They are supposed to be resistant to water. That being said, I did have to send mine back a couple times and they took care of it by replacement or repair.

I tried to cover it up if we got caught in the rain.

Funny, i just got off the phone with Brian at exile, we were BS’ing a bit and then i asked him why when itouch master volume it hisses and makes loud spark sounds thru the speakers.  I knew what it was and basically its moisture inthe ZLD.  Wants me to send it to him tomorrow.  Is that what happened to yours?

45 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Funny, i just got off the phone with Brian at exile, we were BS’ing a bit and then i asked him why when itouch master volume it hisses and makes loud spark sounds thru the speakers.  I knew what it was and basically its moisture inthe ZLD.  Wants me to send it to him tomorrow.  Is that what happened to yours?

Yes that was one of the times. Other time it just locked up wide open volume, talk about a surprise when we turned it on that day.

• Like 1

Damn!!!  Well and maybe im biased because exile has been sponsoring me for 10 years but i love their customer service and products

The ZLD was the only Exile component I was not 100% happy with. I think I replaced mine 3 times in 4 years. Sorry Exile i loved my system but that is a weak link that needs improved. Other than that it was bullet proof and I loved it. Stereo is the only thing I miss from my old boat.

1 minute ago, dalt1 said:

The ZLD was the only Exile component I was not 100% happy with. I think I replaced mine 3 times in 4 years. Sorry Exile i loved my system but that is a weak link that needs improved. Other than that it was bullet proof and I loved it. Stereo is the only thing I miss from my old boat.

I would prob go with the wetsounds version on somethings but Brian might put a hit out on me hahahhaha.  Plus im a loyal kinda guy