Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow start

I have a 07 247 LSV with the hammerhead. Last summer I noticed it takes a few seconds after turning the key for the boat to begin starting. Any ideas on what the problem is? It’s always started but I don’t want the day to come that it doesn’t. I’d like to get the problem worked out before the spring season hits.

Most likely it’s your starter. My 98 did that same thing so I changed my ignition thinking it was the issue, but after changing the starter.... starts turning over with no delay every time now. If you go the new route, make sure it’s a marine starter. 

@burider:  By slow start are you indicating the engine turns over slower than previous or are you indicating it takes more time to fire or start to crank?  Different solutions depending on how slow start is interpreted.  If a slow crank, check the battery first particularly if original along with the connections then go to the starter.

• Like 2

Check to make sure you are not getting water into your cylinders.  After it sits for maybe 1/2 hour, pull all you plugs and make sure water doesn't drain out.  I had a Hammerhead and the aluminum heads experienced galvanic corrosion being next to the steel block allowing water to leak back into the pistons.  Had to replace the heads.  I hope this isn't the case!

@burider  so you turn the key and nothing happens for a time then it turns over fine and fires right up -or-  it turns over more times before it fires?  If the latter, then you are not getting fuel pressure to fire the injectors and get fuel in the cylinders for it to run.  You might want to check the fuel pressure, there is a Schrader fitting to allow you to check it.  I don't know the answer, but does this configuration use a relay for the injector, if yes worth checking it?

Turn the key and nothing happens for a bit then it turns over and fires right up. 

Hope it has nothing to do with the water in the cylinders comment above... 

40 minutes ago, burider said:

Turn the key and nothing happens for a bit then it turns over and fires right up. 

Hope it has nothing to do with the water in the cylinders comment above... 

That sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me

Bad solenoid, or possibly bad brushes, could be anything that keeps the power from making the circuit. Starters in a boat are in the worst possible environment for an electric asparagus. 

From personal experience on my "10, the solenoid was my issue. Even though it was "marine grade", it looked like a PB and J sammich when I pulled the whole assembly out to check it. I gutted the starter to check the internals on it and they looked nearly new. 

59 minutes ago, wdr said:

From personal experience on my "10, the solenoid was my issue. Even though it was "marine grade", it looked like a PB and J sammich when I pulled the whole assembly out to check it. I gutted the starter to check the internals on it and they looked nearly new. 

That made me chuckle....PB and J sammich is not what you want you solenoid internals to remind you of!  :)

I would clean all electric connections between the battery and starter first.  Is the solenoid at least clicking?  If not, could be tranny safety switch, slave relay,  or key switch.

I did the same thing and sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn’t crank over. A cold engine was less trouble and once the starter got heat soaked it would barely work until it completely quit working. The starter was fine in my case and I had to pull it to be sure.

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

That sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me

Is the solenoid included in the starter assembly? I found a starter at bakes that is pretty reasonable.

Solenoid is separate. Check a local rebuild place if you have one. They can rebuild the starter if it needs it and they will replace the solenoid if it is bad a lot cheaper than ordering new.

Edited by wdr