Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DBelectrical 220 Alternator for Indmar

hawaiianstyln

Anyone add one of these or know about them.  Got this off the Malibu/Axis FB page as a few others have added them since they fit on the Indmar specifically Monsoons.  Was about to pull the trigger.  I've already ran a new 1/0 awg upgrade wire to the starter since the MFG wire was or appears to be around 8-10 gauge

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/220-amp-marine-high-output-alternator-universal-mount.html

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

You upgraded the alternator supply to 1/0ga? You could run a 500A alternator off that cable. 

Haaa well i had extra and since that stuff wasnt cheap i figured i would use it.  

1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Haaa well i had extra and since that stuff wasnt cheap i figured i would use it.  

Did you make sure to use high temp wire and not regular power wire that's used for stereos?  Just checking cuz people don't usually have extra high temp 1/0 awg wire laying around 

38 minutes ago, Vroom said:

Did you make sure to use high temp wire and not regular power wire that's used for stereos?  Just checking cuz people don't usually have extra high temp 1/0 awg wire laying around 

He's using 1/0 welder wire.  Ought to be fine

1 hour ago, Vroom said:

In a boat engine bay, why would you even care about high temp wire?  They run so cool it's pointless.  

22 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's not very hot in consideration of wiring.  

Maybe, maybe not but now that I think about it, the alternator wire goes directly to the starter which does get extremely hot.  Anyways I'm not here to be a forum expert. Just looking to help him avoid issues in the future 

8 minutes ago, Vroom said:

Maybe, maybe not but now that I think about it, the alternator wire goes directly to the starter which does get extremely hot.  Anyways I'm not here to be a forum expert. Just looking to help him avoid issues in the future 

To the starter.?  Should go to the external solenoid or tge engine breaker, not the one on the starter. 

Edited by oldjeep
9 minutes ago, Vroom said:

I think it does on his boat

For the most part it does.  The solenoid is basically piggy backing the starter.  

11 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

For the most part it does.  The solenoid is basically piggy backing the starter.  

It doesn't matter.  Some special high-temp wire is not needed at all.  Don't waste your money.

Now I personally wouldn't use welding wire.  A high strand count copper will be more flexible for installation and less likely to be damaged from bending and vibrations.  If you shop around, you can find a high strand count wire for prices close enough to welding wire.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

It doesn't matter.  Some special high-temp wire is not needed at all.  Don't waste your money.

Now I personally wouldn't use welding wire.  A high strand count copper will be more flexible for installation and less likely to be damaged from bending and vibrations.  If you shop around, you can find a high strand count wire for prices close enough to welding wire.

Welder wire is high strand count copper. 

Edited by oldjeep
On 1/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, hawaiianstyln said:

Anyone add one of these or know about them.  Got this off the Malibu/Axis FB page as a few others have added them since they fit on the Indmar specifically Monsoons.  Was about to pull the trigger.  I've already ran a new 1/0 awg upgrade wire to the starter since the MFG wire was or appears to be around 8-10 gauge

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/220-amp-marine-high-output-alternator-universal-mount.html

Jeremy Finnerty on FB has a monster exile system with 3 batts he runs with one, he’s pretty technical , ask him, forget his handle on this site 

• Like 1