Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 LSV or 22 MXZ

Peebalz

First time poster here, but i have been reading the forums for some time.  I bought a 2017 Axis A20 last year and got hooked on surfing.  My daughter and I have “outsurfed the wave” on this boat and are looking to get into something bigger. I see a lot of comparisons on here, but haven’t seen a discussion comparing the 22mxz and the 23 lsv directly in regards to surf wake quality.

Which one of these boats puts off a longer, bigger wave that would allow us to start doing tricks?  I plan on keeping the boat for some time, so i want to get the one with the best wave.  We do a lot of surfing and tubing, with some waterskiing as well. I like the look of both boats and will be going to the boat show this weekend to check out fit and finish.  I have surfed on both boats briefly on my lake this past summer, but was not able to drive and really play with the wedge.  I dont have the ability to demo both boats extensively.  Both of these boats are in my price range, but the 25LSV and M235 are not.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Peebalz
ahopkins22LSV

I personally like the 23 more, a lot more if you consider all factors of the boat. I haven’t noticed a ton of differences between the two waves, but when loaded up for surfing the 23 is a better boat imo. It handles a bit better and is less easy to dip the bow while putting out an awesome wave. 

Plus in the 23 you have way more cabin space and more storage. My personal preference is traditional bow over picklefork as well. I haven’t priced either in awhile but I think you are into a 23 for less as well. 

Anyone know the difference in base price between the two?  Unless you have people who cannot live without a big bow space, then having more cabin space seems more valuable to me.  I would vote 23 LSV.  If I had several small kids, might consider the other because they often love the bow more than grown folks.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Anyone know the difference in base price between the two?  Unless you have people who cannot live without a big bow space, then having more cabin space seems more valuable to me.  I would vote 23 LSV.  If I had several small kids, might consider the other because they often love the bow more than grown folks.  

Based on the research I have done the difference in Base Price is about 4K, with some dealerships having the MXZ as a little more and some having the LSV a little more.  

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

@Peebalz is pretty much dead on.  I don’t have 2019 pricing but in 2018 the MSRP on them were:

1. 23lsv - $109,157

2. 22mxz - $113,218

12 hours ago, SCMike said:

@Peebalz is pretty much dead on.  I don’t have 2019 pricing but in 2018 the MSRP on them were:

1. 23lsv - $109,157

2. 22mxz - $113,218

Those are pretty good MSRPs. I think they are more like the retail price. You would be doing pretty well to walk out the door with one of those boats at those prices, even moderately equipped. My dealer usually has the difference in price at more like 10k for the MXZ.

11 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

Those are pretty good MSRPs. I think they are more like the retail price. You would be doing pretty well to walk out the door with one of those boats at those prices, even moderately equipped. My dealer usually has the difference in price at more like 10k for the MXZ.

This is the base price with a trailer and ZERO options.  Typical order will include about $40k in options on top of the base price. 

My family and i are at the same point (23 LSV vs 22 MXZ).  Going to the CLT boat show next week to look and get the wife's opinion.  I like the pickle fork look and really hope it has enough cabin space compared to our VLX.  We could be moving up for more space.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

My family and i are at the same point (23 LSV vs 22 MXZ).  Going to the CLT boat show next week to look and get the wife's opinion.  I like the pickle fork look and really hope it has enough cabin space compared to our VLX.  We could be moving up for more space.

@Five Cent Worth after going to the boat show for two days. My family and i Decided on the 22mxz. They loved the bow space and everyone at the show said the waves were very similar.  Hope this helps!

• Like 3
On 1/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, SCMike said:

This is the base price with a trailer and ZERO options.  Typical order will include about $40k in options on top of the base price. 

When you say "Zero Options" does that mean no surf gate, plug in play, etc?  Or just no stereo, gel, tower upgrades?

40 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

When you say "Zero Options" does that mean no surf gate, plug in play, etc?  Or just no stereo, gel, tower upgrades?

Right, that's the bare boat price with no surf gate, PNP, PW, stereo, bimini, cover, etc.

• 2 months later...

Whats the verdict? I am also looking at 22 MXZ and 23 LSV. Want a big surf wave, want more space than my 2010 VLX, and need a good wakeboarding wave for my son. Wife also like pickle fork. Dealer tells me there isnt much difference.

20 hours ago, Edstygar said:

Whats the verdict? I am also looking at 22 MXZ and 23 LSV. Want a big surf wave, want more space than my 2010 VLX, and need a good wakeboarding wave for my son. Wife also like pickle fork. Dealer tells me there isnt much difference.

It's honestly just personal preference. For you, both boats are going to be a huge upgrade. They both surf tremendously well and throw an amazing surf wave. Just depends if you like/want the picklefork front and the huge bow space, or if you prefer your space in the cabin more. Also the other large difference is the transom walk-through. The wake/wave between the two is so small, you'll be more than stoked with either. Up to you. Also, I think the 22 MXZ runs $5,000 base price, so that's one more thing to keep in mind.

20 hours ago, Edstygar said:

Not true, wake boarding wake is different.  LSV is good, but I like the wide wake of the MXZ.  It's just a preference thing.

Depending on the skill level of your son, it may not matter.

Edit:

If I was buying a new boat, I'd go MXZ over LSV solely for the wakeboarding wake as that is 95% of what we do.

Edited by hunter77ah
Additional thought
  • Like 2
On 1/18/2019 at 9:17 AM, Peebalz said:

@Five Cent Worth after going to the boat show for two days. My family and i Decided on the 22mxz. They loved the bow space and everyone at the show said the waves were very similar.  Hope this helps!

Great choice, I have the 24 and the bow is most popular spot on the boat!