Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘19 Axis T3 vs ‘19 Malibu 23lsv

Ccmo

I had a 2017 T23 and looked at both the 2019 T23 and the 23 LSV just before Christmas.  The changes to the T23 are nice (4 inches taller when standing next to it, batteries are now in bow which frees up more storage in observers compartment, new battery switch location that can be accessed without opening a compartment, new drivers seat, different head unit with volume knob instead or up/down button, improved vinyl, more color options or patterns in vinyl).  With these changes, it makes a great boat even better but the 23 LSV is on a different level.  I know car analogies are frowned upon when used on boats but in this case the best I can come up with is do you want the Toyota or the Lexus.  Both will do the job and do it well but do you want the ease of touchscreen contols or the more basic button push controls of the Axis?   Really only you can decide what works for you.  We are planning to go with the 23 LSV this time but you can't go wrong with the Axis either.

Thank you. We have a Malibu wakesetter currently. Like the way it drives, and rides. Little leery of switching over to axis. Do you know anything about the engineering? Hull, engine, etc? 

I have never owned a axis but spenta good amount of time around them at the boat show and have spent a time around the 2019 models.  I have grown more fond of them every single year and think that they are a very well priced boat with value exceeding attributes.  For me personally, it would difficult to step down from the fit and finish that is Malibu into an Axis.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with the Axis boat at all but do think it would be a bit of a disappointment from what you are accustomed to.

For a buyer that is new to Malibu or new to tow boats....I think the 2019 Axis T-23 is a very competitive option across the market..  If I did  not know the luxury of the Malibu 23 LSV, who knows what boat I’d be in (Malibu or Axis).

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

The new T23 is an awesome boat. 

As far as engineering, build, hull, engine.. etc, axis is exactly the same as Malibu. Build on the exact same production line using the same hull construction and engine/transmissions as Malibu. Yes they are less “blingy” but they will perform as bit as good as a Malibu. Styling and price is the difference. Dollar per wave performance, it is impossible to beat axis. 

On 1/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Ccmo said:

Thank you. We have a Malibu wakesetter currently. Like the way it drives, and rides. Little leery of switching over to axis. Do you know anything about the engineering? Hull, engine, etc? 

We went to the dealer for the same reason.  Looked at moving from a smaller Malibu to a bigger Axis.  Liked the size, couldn't come to grips with such things as no hinges on the seats and whatever they called the fold out bench.  From everything i have read and learned, these boats come off the same production floor - so build quality and warranty are similar.  

9 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

The bimini and no spring assist in the tower to help lower it if needed are the 2 main things that kept me out of the Axis lineup.

While i agree that the bimini and tower on the malibu are significantly better, i dont think that along could be enough to justify 30-40k+/-

3 hours ago, Brantb said:

While i agree that the bimini and tower on the malibu are significantly better, i dont think that along could be enough to justify 30-40k+/-

If it was that much, then no it wouldn't unless I always had to drop my tower by myself to put under a garage (I don't currently).  Plus a rear bimini extension for the Axis can be purchased for a couple grand if you look around.

Thankfully the spread between a '19 Axis T23 and a leftover '18 LSV was less than half that!  It helped to make that decision a lot easier.

15 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

If it was that much, then no it wouldn't unless I always had to drop my tower by myself to put under a garage (I don't currently).  Plus a rear bimini extension for the Axis can be purchased for a couple grand if you look around.

Thankfully the spread between a '19 Axis T23 and a leftover '18 LSV was less than half that!  It helped to make that decision a lot easier.

With a spread that low then it would make the decision easier.

Last summer I had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time on my buddies 18' T22.  Every other weekend we would alternate between my 16' 22VLX and his T22.  As others have said there are a lot of similarities.  They both handled the water in the same way and I thought the surf wave was very comparable on both boats.   All around a great boat!  But again, like others have said,  what sets the boats apart is the bling factor.  Coming from my VLX I really appreciate the touch screen technology and the ease of use.  Admittedly I have become spoiled as has my wife who does most of the driving while surfing!  However my buddy and his wife had no problem with the Axis set up and had all the appropriate settings dialed in.  I think his only complaints about the Axis was  the lack of hinges and the bimini set up.