Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bomber1

Surf racks

Recommended Posts

Bomber1

Has anyone checked out the new Skylon racks? Look real similar to Roswells. Priced almost as high also..

i bought 2 racks from Hyperryd Designs.com that fit under the Top rail of tower. Can fit the boards, fins up with Bimini up, no problem. Priced around $1000 for 2. Fit G3 or any tube towers.

He will have a booth at LA and Sac boat shows if you want to check them out, or go to Hyperryd Designs.com.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bomber1 said:

Has anyone checked out the new Skylon racks? Look real similar to Roswells. Priced almost as high also..

i bought 2 racks from Hyperryd Designs.com that fit under the Top rail of tower. Can fit the boards, fins up with Bimini up, no problem. Priced around $1000 for 2. Fit G3 or any tube towers.

He will have a booth at LA and Sac boat shows if you want to check them out, or go to Hyperryd Designs.com.

 

Yeah, I saw the Skylon racks on IG.  They look exactly like the Roswell racks.  I really like the vest hangers and the fact that you can lock your boards on the racks for security purposes.  If I were shopping for racks, I’d probably go Skylon.  They seem to be a good balance between value and features.  

Those Hyperryd Design racks are really cool as well, but IMO they are way over priced.  $1000 for 2 board storage is steep!  Especially since they look like they are just a machined piece of aluminum with some nylon straps.  If they were half the cost, I’d probably pick up a set since I like how they keep the boards out of the sun.  As it is right now, I have keep my Soulcraft in a reflective board bag while in the surf pockets on top of my Bimini.  

 

 

Edited by SCMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
20 hours ago, SCMike said:

Yeah, I saw the Skylon racks on IG.  ...They seem to be a good balance between value and features.  

Those Hyperryd Design racks are really cool as well, but IMO they are way over priced.  $1000 for 2 board storage is steep!  

$3200 per set ($1600 per two boards, BEFORE tower mounting adapters) is "value" but $1000 x 2 is overpriced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewake09

I wonder how he is getting around the design patents on those clamping racks. They look and function too much like to the Roswells for it too not be a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Infinitysurf

The Hyperryd Design racks are a lot simpler, compared to the new Skylon or Roswell racks.

Personally I like a setup like that much better and I bought something similar to the Hyperryd in 2016......the "OG" verson. Made by a dude in WA named Corson Piper, he used to advertise the racks on WakeWorld (maybe still does, his email was his name (CorsonPiper) @ gmail.com). Basically you can mount these "racks" either above or below your tower just like these Hyperryd racks, they basically have about a 24" long center mast made from aluminum with some holes drilled so you can mount them (with mount of your choice), then at each end of the center mast....there is an 18" cross piece which is then covered with a Dakine pad. Then 1 bungee at each end crosspiece to strap in your board, the bungee is tied to the one side and has a hook on the other to quickly de-tach/attach the bungee to hold in the board securely.

I mounted 2 of his racks under my tower at center, between my 2) outer REV-8 tower speakers (this way my boards are under bimini so the boards don't get sun damage) and since my tower is fairly tall I can mount the boards up there (fins up or down) and still walk around in the cabin without hitting my head on anything. I love them, have been carrying my Soulcraft boards in them since 2016 with zero damage, not a single scuff mark and the boards are totally safe and out of the way....as well as protected from sun damage. I have been thru some rough weather and craziness and they hold up very well and no issues at all. Boards strap in and out of the racks in 5 seconds flat with the bungee's....the metal buckle on a strap would make me nervous with a high end board, but that would be an option too! Wish I could post a picture here to show them. Cost was $500 for 2 racks, plus I had $100 into buying 4 "speaker mounts", since that is what fit my tube tower plus $50 into 2 sets of the 18" long Dakine pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
5 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

The Hyperryd Design racks are a lot simpler, compared to the new Skylon or Roswell racks.

Personally I like a setup like that much better and I bought something similar to the Hyperryd in 2016......the "OG" verson. Made by a dude in WA named Corson Piper, he used to advertise the racks on WakeWorld (maybe still does, his email was his name (CorsonPiper) @ gmail.com). Basically you can mount these "racks" either above or below your tower just like these Hyperryd racks, they basically have about a 24" long center mast made from aluminum with some holes drilled so you can mount them (with mount of your choice), then at each end of the center mast....there is an 18" cross piece which is then covered with a Dakine pad. Then 1 bungee at each end crosspiece to strap in your board, the bungee is tied to the one side and has a hook on the other to quickly de-tach/attach the bungee to hold in the board securely.

I mounted 2 of his racks under my tower at center, between my 2) outer REV-8 tower speakers (this way my boards are under bimini so the boards don't get sun damage) and since my tower is fairly tall I can mount the boards up there (fins up or down) and still walk around in the cabin without hitting my head on anything. I love them, have been carrying my Soulcraft boards in them since 2016 with zero damage, not a single scuff mark and the boards are totally safe and out of the way....as well as protected from sun damage. I have been thru some rough weather and craziness and they hold up very well and no issues at all. Boards strap in and out of the racks in 5 seconds flat with the bungee's....the metal buckle on a strap would make me nervous with a high end board, but that would be an option too! Wish I could post a picture here to show them. Cost was $500 for 2 racks, plus I had $100 into buying 4 "speaker mounts", since that is what fit my tube tower plus $50 into 2 sets of the 18" long Dakine pads.

I remember these and have been looking for them.. Hopefully he still is still making them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

$3200 per set ($1600 per two boards, BEFORE tower mounting adapters) is "value" but $1000 x 2 is overpriced?

I heard the racks were going to be priced below the roswells,  but they seem right in line with them on price.  My mistake there, and I can see how that statement seemed odd.   The value statement comes more form what you get for the money.  The Skylon, Roswell, and PTM have a ton of engineering in the clamping mechinisims, swivel mounts, etc. They can hold wakeboards and surfboards which can be accessed much quicker and easier.  The Hyperred racks are nice looking, but the design seems to be very simple and $1000 seems like a little much for what you get.  Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dms

I'm also looking for a surf board rack, and was seriously considering a pair of the Roswells until these posts highlighted the Corson Piper design...  I'm going to need 2 under the deployed bimini on a 2019 VLX with a G3.5 tower.  I was thinking of mounting it only on the rear hoop and level, coming in below the front hoop.  I could then have boards bungeed with the fins forward and upward to maximize walking space.  Unfortunately the boat is in winter storage and I can't get to it easily to test fit.

@Infinitysurf - Any pictures of your install?  Did you use the DYIWake mounts?

@kerpluxal - he's still in business and has inventory. I contacted him at the above gmail address.

Anyone else install these in a G3 tower?

ps - first time poster, but I've been reading for a while.  Enough to convince me to visit my local Malibu dealer and test ride a '19 VLX.  Used to have a nice but older Chaparral, but the kids really wanted something to wake board and surf behind...  Who am I to deny them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Infinitysurf
On 1/9/2019 at 1:23 AM, dms said:

I'm also looking for a surf board rack, and was seriously considering a pair of the Roswells until these posts highlighted the Corson Piper design...  I'm going to need 2 under the deployed bimini on a 2019 VLX with a G3.5 tower.  I was thinking of mounting it only on the rear hoop and level, coming in below the front hoop.  I could then have boards bungeed with the fins forward and upward to maximize walking space.  Unfortunately the boat is in winter storage and I can't get to it easily to test fit.

@Infinitysurf - Any pictures of your install?  Did you use the DYIWake mounts?

@kerpluxal - he's still in business and has inventory. I contacted him at the above gmail address.

Anyone else install these in a G3 tower?

ps - first time poster, but I've been reading for a while.  Enough to convince me to visit my local Malibu dealer and test ride a '19 VLX.  Used to have a nice but older Chaparral, but the kids really wanted something to wake board and surf behind...  Who am I to deny them :)

I do have pics and could email or text them to you if you wanna PM me your info? I am unable to post pics here. Corson was easy to deal with.

I don't remember where I bought my mounts since it has been 2 years, but DYIWake does sound familiar, I have tube mounts on my tower....I checked diameter of the tube on my tower and then bought 4 "speaker mounts" (2 for each rack tho it depends how your tower is designed). The 18" Dakine pads I bought from Amazon. It was very easy to mount the racks and they are also easily removable without removing the mounts, I basically just have to remove the 2) bolt studs and the racks drop right off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
On 1/7/2019 at 10:07 PM, SCMike said:

  The Hyperred racks are nice looking, but the design seems to be very simple and $1000 seems like a little much for what you get.  Just my opinion. 

Ok, I’m gonna eat my words here.  I was able to see these Hyperred racks at the LA boat show today and they are reallly nice!  They really are a great solution for a more delicate surfboard.  I love how they keep the boards out of the sun.  They look really good in person, and are simple to use.  I don’t need the board storage right now, but I’ve got my eye on 2 more boards, and a foil board this session which means I’ll likely need more storage this year.  These could be a great alternative to having to buy another set of PTMs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Someone explain to me how they keep the boards out of the sun... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Someone explain to me how they keep the boards out of the sun... 

They mount under the Bimini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001
56 minutes ago, SCMike said:

They mount under the Bimini.

Oh duh didn’t realize you were talking about those ones. I head the skylon ones in my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dms
13 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

I do have pics and could email or text them to you if you wanna PM me your info? I am unable to post pics here. Corson was easy to deal with.

I don't remember where I bought my mounts since it has been 2 years, but DYIWake does sound familiar, I have tube mounts on my tower....I checked diameter of the tube on my tower and then bought 4 "speaker mounts" (2 for each rack tho it depends how your tower is designed). The 18" Dakine pads I bought from Amazon. It was very easy to mount the racks and they are also easily removable without removing the mounts, I basically just have to remove the 2) bolt studs and the racks drop right off.

Thanks - pm on the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger
21 hours ago, SCMike said:

Ok, I’m gonna eat my words here.  I was able to see these Hyperred racks at the LA boat show today and they are reallly nice!  They really are a great solution for a more delicate surfboard.  I love how they keep the boards out of the sun.  They look really good in person, and are simple to use.  I don’t need the board storage right now, but I’ve got my eye on 2 more boards, and a foil board this session which means I’ll likely need more storage this year.  These could be a great alternative to having to buy another set of PTMs. 

@SCMike   I tested these new HyperRyd racks for Wake Garage. He sent me the racks last summer.  We spent quite a bit of time with them on the water to provide our opinion and early feedback on how they could be better.   We just posted a full hands-on review on Wake Garage if that helps you.   I can also do a quick summary here on TMC. They are pretty cool racks.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
5 hours ago, rugger said:

@SCMike   I tested these new HyperRyd racks for Wake Garage. He sent me the racks last summer.  We spent quite a bit of time with them on the water to provide our opinion and early feedback on how they could be better.   We just posted a full hands-on review on Wake Garage if that helps you.   I can also do a quick summary here on TMC. They are pretty cool racks.   

All good, I found your review.  Nice write up, thanks!

Here is the review for others if they want to read it. 

https://www.wakegarage.com/articles.html/articles/product-reviews/hands-on-review-of-hyperryd’s-xr1-overhead-surf-rack-r2/?fbclid=IwAR2InffjiKdXwRN8fHpKNn95wKkWI9kvl8RrCxRz7q_adoZa4iWDMq4rKmY&_fromLogout=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Infinitysurf

Good review of the new HyperryD racks and they look very nicely made, they are compact and functional. I was following this on the MB forum when HyperryD was designing them. In some ways, they are similar to the Corson Piper racks, in other ways not. Looks like there are pro and cons to both designs and looks like the biggest difference (I have not seen the HyperryD in person) is price with HyperryD being $500 each and Corson Piper racks being about $500 for 2 racks (I don't know what the price is now, but when I bought them 2yrs ago, believe it was 1 rack for $280, or 2 racks for $480....but you do spend $50 buying the 18" Dakine pads plus whatever mounts you need, so I spent about $150 more getting my 2 racks installed and ready. Looks like the HyperryD racks come with mounts (seems like in review it says they do have mounts with rubber inserts for 2 different diameter towers) and looks like they don't need any pads added due to the decking on them.

Both of these are very cool, I LOVE the innovation and fact that guys not only come up with these for themselves, but also make them available so people like me who don't have access to fabrication equip that can make stuff like this from nothing can also benefit....  I certainly love the Corson Piper racks I bought 2yrs ago and use them WAY more than the factory racks, this is the only rack my Soulcraft boards have ever seen and there is not a mark on either of them! Its so nice not to have to keep your custom boards in the bow of the boat and put it in/out of board bag every time. I know I would not put a custom board in a factory rack, unless it was one of the new style Roswell or Skylon and frankly I wouldn't want to pay the money for those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike

@Hyperryd - great to meet you at the LA show.  You had a great looking booth and probably the best innovation I saw there.  The quality is top knotch, nice work! 

Edited by SCMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...