Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ever used a Toyota Land Cruiser as their tow vehicle?

JeffK

Not personal experience, but a friend had a Seqouia and upgraded to a Land Cruiser. Said the Land Cruiser was a much softer feeling tow vehicle, almost too mushy.  But they are probably the best built most reliable vehicle you can buy.

What year are you looking at?  Major variation among the series.  

They are fantastic vehicles and having had a few I can say any issue you have is solved with airbags.  

The newer models are not going to feel mushy.  

Edited by Pra4sno
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 2:52 PM, JeffK said:

Definitely not looking at a brand new $100K tow vehicle.  Just looking around, as we all seem to do on this site.  I'd love to find one in the 40ish range.

The model in production now has been out for a few years.  There's plenty in your price range.  

My 80 was underpowered in a big way.  My 100 was fine, but rear end was softer - bags solved that.  I went to Toyota trucks after the 100, but my buddys 200 is fantastic and the progressive rate springs would tow awesome.  Many good examples can be found under 40k.

Edited by Pra4sno
On 1/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Pra4sno said:

The model in production now has been out for a few years.  There's plenty in your price range.  

My 80 was underpowered in a big way.  My 100 was fine, but rear end was softer - bags solved that.  I went to Toyota trucks after the 100, but my buddys 200 is fantastic and the progressive rate springs would tow awesome.  Many good examples can be found under 40k.

My ignorance is going to shine through like a beacon in the night here.  I'm assuming the 80, 100 and 200 are referring to each updated series of the Land cruiser?

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

My ignorance is going to shine through like a beacon in the night here.  I'm assuming the 80, 100 and 200 are referring to each updated series of the Land cruiser?

Yea, just search.  FJ80 is the older landcruiser. Search LC 100 or LC 200 and they will pop up.

23 hours ago, JeffK said:

Hey Jeff - yes, talking about series there.  There are generally different iterations of each model, some with improvements that matter and some that aren't as critical.  Since we're in a towing and trailering thread, I'd say you won't care about most features the old cruisers are known for and would appreciate the updates a lot more.  I'd check out the last few years of the 100 series if I were looking.  The 4.7 and 5 speed AT are a bulletproof pair. The later models also got variable valve timing which improved gas mileage 2-3 mpg.  

Nothing that I know of to improve on with the 200.  They are beasts, but command even more of a premium.  Their power is unmatched by any other cruiser as well and if I was looking for one with 40-45k in my pocket, I'd get a 200 and never look back.  

More importantly with a LC than with other Toyota's is really focusing on buying from a specific owner type.  The 80's and 100's were built to be maintained, and as such, really suffer if neglected.  Everything is over-built, grease zerks are everywhere, and fluids MUST be changed in line with the owners manual.  I would buy a well maintained LC with 300k on it well before buying a neglected one with 100k.  If they get fluids when needed, and components that end up being replaced use OEM parts instead of Moog or Dorman stuff, they will outlive their owners. 

They will not leave you stranded and can work incredibly hard - almost relishing in the abuse.  My 100 towed my Echelon really well, could crawl over Argentine pass without breaking a sweat, and run to and from work at 75-80MPH comfortably.  All completely stock.  

So, you didn't ask about any of that stuff - but whether or not I own one right now, I will always want another cruiser and will always be passionate about them.  My last two I bought used, put 40-50k on, and sold due to life changes.  I got far more than I paid for them originally, but still wish I never sold either - they are impossible to find here in CO now.  I have spent innumerable hours watching for another 100.  200's are the ultimate dream, and would be a car I never sell.   

Edited by Pra4sno
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Hey Jeff - yes, talking about series there.  There are generally different iterations of each model, some with improvements that matter and some that aren't as critical.  Since we're in a towing and trailering thread, I'd say you won't care about most features the old cruisers are known for and would appreciate the updates a lot more.  I'd check out the last few years of the 100 series if I were looking.  The 4.7 and 5 speed AT are a bulletproof pair. The later models also got variable valve timing which improved gas mileage 2-3 mpg.  

Nothing that I know of to improve on with the 200.  They are beasts, but command even more of a premium.  Their power is unmatched by any other cruiser as well and if I was looking for one with 40-45k in my pocket, I'd get a 200 and never look back.  

More importantly with a LC than with other Toyota's is really focusing on buying from a specific owner type.  The 80's and 100's were built to be maintained, and as such, really suffer if neglected.  Everything is over-built, grease zerks are everywhere, and fluids MUST be changed in line with the owners manual.  I would buy a well maintained LC with 300k on it well before buying a neglected one with 100k.  If they get fluids when needed, and components that end up being replaced use OEM parts instead of Moog or Dorman stuff, they will outlive their owners. 

They will not leave you stranded and can work incredibly hard - almost relishing in the abuse.  My 100 towed my Echelon really well, could crawl over Argentine pass without breaking a sweat, and run to and from work at 75-80MPH comfortably.  All completely stock.  

So, you didn't ask about any of that stuff - but whether or not I own one right now, I will always want another cruiser and will always be passionate about them.  My last two I bought used, put 40-50k on, and sold due to life changes.  I got far more than I paid for them originally, but still wish I never sold either - they are impossible to find here in CO now.  I have spent innumerable hours watching for another 100.  200's are the ultimate dream, and would be a car I never sell.   

Thanks for taking the time for the write-up!  Very helpful!

The short answer is that the latest model iteration (2008ish?) is based more on the latest Tundra/Sequoia/LX570 platform and the 5.7L engine and will be a much more capable tow vehicles than earlier model years.  They basically took the 2007 Tundra frame and shortened it and strengthened by 20% and then beefed up all the running gear, brakes, and suspension. 

Our 2016 LC200 Sahara tows the 2018 20 VTX piece of cake. We run the twin turbo 4.5 Lt diesel here in Aus. Highly recommend the Landcruiser for towing. The Aus LC 200 is rated at 4500kg towing braked trailer or 9920 pounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used our 2003 100 series Landcruiser to tow our 2016 22VLX on several occasions. It has a 1.5" lift that stiffens up the ride and helps for towing.

Overall it does fine but I am looking to upgrade to a 200 series to step up to the 5.7.

• 3 months later...

Also note that the Lexus version of the LC comes with 4 corner adjustable suspension which is the one reasons I'd pick it over the LC (would rather ve the LC.. but for load leveing the air suspension is worth it.)

15 hours ago, gregtay said:

Also note that the Lexus version of the LC comes with 4 corner adjustable suspension which is the one reasons I'd pick it over the LC (would rather ve the LC.. but for load leveing the air suspension is worth it.)

This is the AHC system.  It is true that it is four corner adjustable.  It uses weaker torsion bars and weaker coil springs and augments ride height and leveling with the AHC system.  There are positives and negatives to the system, one being that they are seldom properly maintained (fluid flushes recommended 60k intervals at a minimum).  This can cause pump failures - repairs that are expensive not only for labor but for components.  Most gut the system and replace with a lift kit or stock Land Cruiser suspension.  

Positive features of the system?  There are many.  You can adjust ride-height to increase ground clearance for off-road use that is over that of a stock LC.  You can level ride when trailering loads (depending on tongue weight you can actually overload the pump so keep that in mind on older systems).  You can reduce ride height as well to improve high speed handling, and also the "kneel" feature to allow for easier access to a tall vehicle is really slick.  

You do get a few different interior finishes, different headlight and grill, 03-06 have in-bumper integrated hitches (these cannot be used with weight distribution and so are limited to 5k lbs).  You can easily add an aftermarket frame-mounted bumper to get you to the max towing.

The LX470 is a FANTASTIC vehicle that mirrors the LC in almost all respects but the AHC system.  If you find one that has been well maintained, AHC has been known to last in excess of 350k on original components.  Overall the LX470 commands less of a price premium from the Toyota variation - has the same life expectancy, similar cost to maintain, and there were many many more sold in the U.S. than their Land Cruiser counterpart.  

Edited by Pra4sno

@JeffK

One other note that is definitely relevant.  

I tow under 20 miles round trip at a max of 60mph.  You wouldn't catch me towing up or down I-70 in the mountains as it is and I wouldn't tow anywhere at high speeds with traffic, UNLESS I upgraded my trailer from surge to electric brakes and added a brake controller.

If I was towing distances at higher speeds with it as is, I'm going back to a 15+ F150 with a sway away.  

X 2 what AussieSkier said.

Down here the Landcruiser 200 is KING.

Our 2019 VX tows the 22 VLX without any issues at all with the twin turbo 4.5 Lt diesel .

We tow 220 miles (350 km) to our river spot with 4 adults onboard.

Photo shows my old LC 200 that I have just traded for the 2019 LC updated model

edited-image_zpsmemr640z.png

edited-image_zpsdvaqfwve.png

Edited by Jusmud
Change Photo
  • Like 2
On 6/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, Jusmud said:

X 2 what AussieSkier said.

Down here the Landcruiser 200 is KING.

Our 2019 VX tows the 22 VLX without any issues at all with the twin turbo 4.5 Lt diesel .

We tow 220 miles (350 km) to our river spot with 4 adults onboard.

Photo shows my old LC 200 that I have just traded for the 2019 LC updated model

edited-image_zpsmemr640z.png

edited-image_zpsdvaqfwve.png

Did you go to the Melbourne boat show on the weekend? 

The new VX tow any different to the SAHARA above?

The new VX has a lot more electronics in it compared to the older model (Basically its the older Sahara without the centre fridge console and the  Dual 11.6" Rear Seat Entertainment system).

My new one now also runs a DPF ( diesel particulate filter) which the old one didn't but  I really don't notice any difference.

It still tows the 22 VLX  without an issue............sometimes have have to check the rear view mirror to make sure its still there :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

my 100 series is pre 2003 so sans the improved tranny.  I have it lifted with OME 2.5" lift that stiffens it up well, along with an ARB safari bumper on the front which seems to offset some weight.  I just spent $3200 replacing the front end and getting it dialed in.  Ill probably put some cash into the rear end this winter.  It does great in town, on freeway it takes some finesse to maximize the power but I wouldn't worry about a 2 hour trip.  If am going on a trip over lots of mountain passes, I use my brother's newer f250 diesel.  He's happy to lend it in consideration of the basically free and open access to my boat I provide him and my nephews.  My buddy borrowed my cruiser to tow his tige r20 4hours to chelan.  Did great with that smaller lighter boat.  one thing though, understand that you will get less than 9mpg while towing in your land cruiser, no matter what upgrades you have.  

20 hours ago, PNWoke said:

my 100 series is pre 2003 so sans the improved tranny.  I have it lifted with OME 2.5" lift that stiffens it up well, along with an ARB safari bumper on the front which seems to offset some weight.  I just spent $3200 replacing the front end and getting it dialed in.  Ill probably put some cash into the rear end this winter.  It does great in town, on freeway it takes some finesse to maximize the power but I wouldn't worry about a 2 hour trip.  If am going on a trip over lots of mountain passes, I use my brother's newer f250 diesel.  He's happy to lend it in consideration of the basically free and open access to my boat I provide him and my nephews.  My buddy borrowed my cruiser to tow his tige r20 4hours to chelan.  Did great with that smaller lighter boat.  one thing though, understand that you will get less than 9mpg while towing in your land cruiser, no matter what upgrades you have.  

What boat do you have? I’m looking for a 100 series at the moment.

1 hour ago, dkscism said:

What boat do you have? I’m looking for a 100 series at the moment.

2014 23 LSV - somewhere around 6k dry weight iirc.  Awesome rigs.  I have had mine for 10 years or so and will probably never sell it.  Seats 8, goes anywhere, and is basically bulletproof.  

fullsizeoutput_3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 11:40 PM, PNWoke said:

$3200 :shocked:  What did you have done?