Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I remove drivers side panel to replace kill switch on Response LXI 2004

29 minutes ago, Dianelehn said:

Inexperienced at repairs 

I want to replace kill switch on my 2004 Response LXI 

how do I remove drivers side panel 

anyway you could link a photo?   can you reach around the panel to the back of the kill switch?

Your better off just reaching behind the panel for that repair.  Our panel need to be replaced at the dealer, factory mounted the Coast Guard warning label on our instead of down by the side foot panel. They said it was a pain.

484054880_ReadytoShip-3(2).png.f73b327c3aebea1cb24b039bd14cda6d.png

1080108273_Outlettrimring.thumb.JPG.d16f1cc445ee5212194bed4b6cd588b4.JPG

Edited by onamission

I would leave the panel in place, take out four screws holding in the circuit breaker panel, reach in and remove the retaining nut on the back of the kill switch and pop the switch out toward you.

Good advice from the crew.  Definitely remove the shifter assembly (IIRC you'll want to put it in gear, either full forward or reverse first...it'll make sense when you see it) and gently pull it aft so you can then get a hand/wrench back there.

But if you MUST remove the panel, there are screws at the bottom of the helm panel (yellow arrows) and 3 or 4 bolts at the top (red arrows) that connect it to the gunnel panel.  The entire electrical buss it tied up to the panel, so you'll need either something to set it on like a Home Depot bucket or an extra set of hands to hold it up so as not to strain the wires.  The bolt that is most forward takes a long arm to loosen/tighten.  There is a bit of vertical adjustment in getting the panel back aligned perfectly, so keep that in mind when you tighten the bolts.

20180204-142959.jpg

20180207-153811.jpg

20180207-162223.jpg

Edited by formulaben
new picture hosting

I was just rewiring my stereo and, instead of removing the panel, I took out the screws that secure the bottom of the panel and I was able to swing the panel out quite a bit. You have to look from floor level to see the screws. 

• 1 year later...