Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

considering buying my first Malibu Euro F3

Malibudave83

2 hours ago, Lindt said:

That's dedication! Well done.

If you haven't already, look closely at the rudder bush arrangement. On our 1992 F3 Skier (closed front), Malibu used a silly plastic bush. The local dealer removed it completely, fabricated a new design from silicon bronze and fibreglassed it in. Precise, light steering with standard wear components is the result. No pics or details unfortunately and I'm in Australia so the workshop isn't local to you!

We're lucky that ours must have been one of the first with all fibreglass construction. Only wood is in two seat bases.

Adrian

I’m umfimiler with what is called a rider bash. I’ll look more into. And thanks I’m getting there faster than I thought my goal is to have it in the water for the first test day by May 1st. The upholstery can wait. I’ve already started Rebacking the seats. Using the old vynal for now. It’s only got 365 origainial hours! 

Ps I’m also having issues with fiberglass I got. The marine store I got from sent me the wrong stuff. I need more of mesh. Oh well I’ll take care of this weekend

4EDE6236-08AC-490A-BFD8-CF6BE3AC0E3F.jpeg

• Like 1

He means "rudder bushings".  If they are worn, then your rudder gets pushed at a slight angle while under power and that makes it difficult to steer.  Odds are with the low hours that you have yours is fine.

56 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

He means "rudder bushings".  If they are worn, then your rudder gets pushed at a slight angle while under power and that makes it difficult to steer.  Odds are with the low hours that you have yours is fine.

Thank you so much for the clearification 

• 1 month later...

Okay Guys,

Its been awhile since I have been able to give any updates on the ol F3. it has been a battle trying to get the right temp for laying the glass. also If you guys look at the old pic I posted of the fiberglass. I had to cut all of that mat out because I was sent the stuff and I didn't know it. a huge costly mistake! anyway with that being sad.. I have since then removed all the old glass, put down some heavier glass down. it was able to sit up nice and lay just how I wanted it to the second time around... after I had finished the glass I had to leave the county for work for a couple weeks, so I rushed over and dropped the boat off at a friend of a friends place who owns a glass company. he gave me a killer deal on a new windshield. although I went with Lexan. he still only charged me $300.00 for doing the middle peace that opens, the portside front and the side. with new framing around the top. \

Lets just say its been about 5 so weeks, and I am about to go pick it up this weekend. before I dropped it off I had done a rough aligning of the motor with a feller gage to make sure it was good to go to be mounted. 

Once I get the boat back I plan to lay the floor. with being said I am in need of trying to figure out the exact type of fiber glass to use for the top of the deck, Ive read about CSM's. ive heard of the depth of the glass needs to be a total of 6 oz deep. so that would be 4 layers of CSM 1.5 OZ. 

then I have read about using the Bioaxle stuff, not sure what that is completely. I also have heard of people doing 2 layers of CSM and the a finishing layer of FinishingGlass.. 

Any input about to use as the last peace of the glass on the top of the deck would be great, 

Thanks in advance.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I'm totally envious of your project. I love doing stuff like that...well...I'm really great at the "taking things apart" phase at least...ha ha!

Really great you have family and friends to share and enjoy the journey with. Thanks for posting and keep us in the loop.

PS: I just sold my '91 Euro F3. I had it for most of it's life and I just loved it so really digging seeing you get into this!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Well good on ya mate - I can't imagine the number of hours in that boat.

Thanks! There’s more hours than I can even imagine. Considering I didn’t even have ANY seats besides the drivers seat and one side peace. I had to find someone who had one just like and go measure and make templates from his boat. The stringers, the floor, fiberglass you know it I’ve done it. Rebuilt the 350 and everything else you see has been done by me and couple good friends