Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
vanamp

Looking for some opinions/help on a couple things cover and trailer bunks 2018 T22

Recommended Posts

vanamp

Looking for some help/opinions on a couple things.  First my cover,  my dealer says this is how they come now but it just seems wrong.  As you can see from the photo the cover extends well below the bow roller. I usually get my boat all the way up to the bow roller which makes the cover bunch up above it and the fit is teribble.  The tag on my cover specifically says mooring cover.  The build sheet just says "CS Cover"  is there a different cover option that is made to fit with boat on trailer?  I've actually had to bump my boat back on the trailer to get the cover off when its put on below the bow roller.bQGVN8u.jpg

 

Second thing is my trailer/bunk height.  We had a lot of problems getting bow eye all the way up to the bow roller this season.  It was not a problem on are '12 A22. We tried going in deeper and it did not help and we actually hung the prop on the bunk when we went in deeper with the trailer.  When we crank and powerload it up to the bow roller it hits the roller pretty early and boat rides up the bow roller.  It looks as if the boats weight is pressing down on the bow roller by the way the rubber is bending.  I asked dealer to look at this with some other warrenty work and it looks like they just pushed the boat off the bow roller (probably so they could get the cover on too).  I always thought it was best practice to get it tight on the bow roller so there is no movement when towing.

Third thing i just noticed while taking photos is why the heck is my bow eye rusty....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewake09

I have a 17' a20 so take this for what its worth. I cant get my boat up to the bow eye by winching. No matter where i put the trailer in the water it doesnt help. I power load. I started using the water proof wd40 spray on the bunk carpet and it made loading and unloading super easy. Boat basically slides off with a slight bump in reverse. Loading is much easier too. Also, my cover doesnt even come close to the bow eye. And my build sheet just says "CS cover" also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat
2 hours ago, onewake09 said:

I have a 17' a20 so take this for what its worth. I cant get my boat up to the bow eye by winching. No matter where i put the trailer in the water it doesnt help. I power load. I started using the water proof wd40 spray on the bunk carpet and it made loading and unloading super easy. Boat basically slides off with a slight bump in reverse. Loading is much easier too. Also, my cover doesnt even come close to the bow eye. And my build sheet just says "CS cover" also. 

I tried some Boat Snot or Liquid Rollers stuff one year.   For the rest of the season the boat slide all over the trailer.  I could push it around myself with some effort.   Scary part was the boat ramp.  I was convinced that the boat would slide off if the winch let go when pulling up the ramp or backing down the ramp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewake09

Yeah. The wd40 I used wasn’t nearly that slippery. It just helped to free up the boat some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pra4sno

Weird that the bow hook is rusty.  Any salt water use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
59 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Weird that the bow hook is rusty.  Any salt water use? 

No salt water, same MN lakes as my last boat.  It looked fine but my boat was at the dealership for a couple months for warranty work and came back like that.  I did not get a chance to polish things before it went to the dealer so maybe thats what happens if they get put away unpolished?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep

CS is commercial sewing, same company that has been making them forever. I suppose it is a pain, but that is really nice that it comes down that far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
7 minutes ago, vanamp said:

No salt water, same MN lakes as my last boat.  It looked fine but my boat was at the dealership for a couple months for warranty work and came back like that.  I did not get a chance to polish things before it went to the dealer so maybe thats what happens if they get put away unpolished?

Is anything else pitting/rusty? If they used a rag at the dealer that had previously been used for an acid hull wash or something it will rust/pit the snot out of chrome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp

I might try something on the bunks to help out.  I am going upgrade the winch since mine is bent from trying to muscle the boat up to the bow roller.  I guess my main concern is that it seems the boat is putting a lot of downward preassure on the roller.  Its almost acting as another bunk instead of a stopper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
8 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I might try something on the bunks to help out.  I am going upgrade the winch since mine is bent from trying to muscle the boat up to the bow roller.  I guess my main concern is that it seems the boat is putting a lot of downward preassure on the roller.  Its almost acting as another bunk instead of a stopper.

Is this a 6 bunk trailer, or 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

CS is commercial sewing, same company that has been making them forever. I suppose it is a pain, but that is really nice that it comes down that far. 

That was my initial thought but since i always try to get my boat up to the bow roller it cannot get behind the roller and looks like this. 

05FycFJ.jpg

 

I'm thinking maybe these boats are not intended to have the bow eye all the way up to the roller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Is this a 6 bunk trailer, or 4?

4 bunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
10 minutes ago, vanamp said:

4 bunk

Then it is normal that the boat leans on the bow roller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
12 minutes ago, vanamp said:

That was my initial thought but since i always try to get my boat up to the bow roller it cannot get behind the roller and looks like this. 

05FycFJ.jpg

 

I'm thinking maybe these boats are not intended to have the bow eye all the way up to the roller?

Is the cover as floppy as it looks?  Definitely looks like a mooring cover, not a trailer able cover. As for the bow eye, there is no reason it would need to touch roller as long as hull is on roller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
Posted (edited)

I’ve never cracked the bow eye to the roller in any boat I have owned. Just get the hull to it. That could be why it’s so hard for you to get it there. And it’s only 4 bunk? That’s strange, I thought they all came in 6 bunk now. I’d be checking the trailer info plate to make sure it says axis T22. Maybe look at othe T22’s on your dealers lot to compare too. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Is the cover as floppy as it looks?  Definitely looks like a mooring cover, not a trailer able cover. As for the bow eye, there is no reason it would need to touch roller as long as hull is on roller. 

If I don't put the hull on the bow roller and allow the cover to extend below the roller the fit is a little better.  Still not as good as my old axis factory cover I have to make sure boat is well past level to avoid pooling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve B.

Wonder if this cover could easily modified locally to be what you are looking for ?

Steve B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
19 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Wonder if this cover could easily modified locally to be what you are looking for ?

Steve B.

Probably but what I am mainly trying to figure out is if this is normal. Is a mooring cover the only option from the factory? My 2012 factory cover was awesome and the cover on my brand new boat won't go on or off without bumping the boat off the bow roller. It just seems odd.  Dealer says its normal but I was just trying to get a second opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp

Here is a picture of my old boat with the factory cover.  Should help people understand why I'm so confused by my new boats cover.

4xmZKt2.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

A versus T, but somethings not right with all that slack in bow, it will hold wAter no doubt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raimie
Posted (edited)

I don't nestle the bow eye up to the winch quite as far as you. The cover is a disaster on the trailer as you are showing here. Now it makes sense to me what you were saying on the thread over the summer. Fortunately for me, my boat is only on the trailer with the mooring cover for short periods of time in the spring/fall, since the rest of it's life it lives on my hoist. (Cover works very well on hoist)  I was getting annoyed with this last fall, but kind of forgot about it since I dropped the boat off for warranty and haven't seen her since early October.

Honestly, I think this may warrant warranty work to correct the bow portion of the cover. There is no way to get the cover to seat right unless you jack up the front to allow the cover to rest on the roller. If it's not seated on the roller and bunched up like shown above (how mine is every time its on the trailer) it's extremely difficult to pull the cover down over the rear rubrail, no matter how loose the ratchets are. (Not a function of the strap, its the actual canvas causing the problem)

Bottom line, there is not enough room between the lower seam of the cover and the bow eye to provide clearance for the bow roller. This prevents the cover from being properly secured while on the trailer.

Edited by Raimie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raimie

@vanamp Did you end up getting your cover corrected by CS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vanamp
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

@vanamp Did you end up getting your cover corrected by CS?

No, response from dealer was thats how the factory covers fit now.  Not super happy about it but plan on trying to find a local shop to see if they can fix it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raimie
2 hours ago, vanamp said:

No, response from dealer was thats how the factory covers fit now.  Not super happy about it but plan on trying to find a local shop to see if they can fix it. 

My dealer is looking into it for me. I'll report back what they say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...