Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to get rid of pump whine over bluetooth

Argonaut

I added this blue tooth adapter from Exile:

https://exileaudio.com/store/install-accessories/bluetooth/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html

and it worked great...

until... I just added the CM30 Johnson pump under front dash (wired into heatercraft fan)...

and now when the fan/pump are on ... there is a minor whine while playing music through Bluetooth ...

i seem to recall a capacitor could fix this? Suggestions?

Edited by Argonaut

You may want to try connecting your bluetooth adaptor and stereo/amp grounds together at the same point (for example, to a grounding block near, or directly to the battery) and use the helm ground block for the pump.  See if there is any difference in the noise.  Also, try to keep your bluetooth RCA or adaptor cables away from the pump motor wiring.  Turning up the source volume (i.e. your phone) and reducing the stereo volume may help.

• Like 1

The pump is under the drivers side and the exile is in the glove compartment plugged into the cigarette lighter for power on the observers side. I will look for the helm ground ..I assume that’s up near the medallion box somewhere?

it just occurred to me I was trying out a new wireless charger/phone holder today that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket at the base of the drivers seat.... I will unplug that too and see if that has any effect ...

I see amazon has a ground loop gadget too:

REIIE Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Bluetooth Car Kit Audio System/Home Stereo wi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUOWB2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_x9-kCbRYRZX7H

has anyone tried one of those in a boat and did it solve it?

Don’t use a ground loop isolator until you have actually powered and grounded the Bluetooth unit properly. All audio components should get power and ground from a common source. Usually that is the distribution blocks for the stereo amps. 

Looks like the boat has a Fosgate P400-4 connected to a jbl marine box and there a one high amp bus marked 80 amps... I will look further...

Edited by Argonaut

Doesn’t matter if you used common ground , if grounded to dash ground block all of the pumps and with switches grounded to same block will make noise   

Just solved all our issues with remote power and ground for all sources first and then two ground loop boxes in tower and inboats RCA from EQ from Bestbuy as a top off, $15 each ,zero noise , relocated our RGB controllers away from source cables and got rid of the 3.5 source  aux out from EQ to controllers , no noise with lights , of any source including good radio stations , turned down or way up

A buddy @Jerfin21used a tuning device with test output CD , selecting proper track for each different test

used it first to check HU for non distorted highest volume 46 of 50 output setting and then gains for each amp channel on the speaker outs 

lights blue for 40hz as you turn it up and then  keep turning gain till red distortion light goes on and turn down till red light goes out

system sounds great, just inboats and sub and no towers is perfect fir cruising or coving with out the head banging from towers when turned up 

I’m sure towers are improved as well but I only need them now for the actual water sport time, don’t need them anymore fir anything else 

note: when I installed my sub and  double star bright sub wall after wiring system first time I wired sub backwards out of phase , tuned it’s channel put it back together with wires correct 

lousy little xs fa 10 now rocks, I’m not an audiophile, so now I’ll never have to upgrade it, 

Edited by granddaddy55

@Argonaut Power from dash wiring harness that serves your switches and key switch or power to/from an HU wired in to same harness or switches is not remote power or ground.  Your getting the noise because you did like I did in a rushed install before a vacation and use what’s already in the helm.  No issue or less issues for a factory HU and direct speaker outputs to speakers straight from HU to stock speakers with or without factory amps , no issues with switched dash controlled plumbing because that install is designed to not be affected.  

Start modifying your system and to isolate away from this type of interference and other noises that the source units or amps or RGB lights generate , you need to have remote power and grounds to your direct power sources usually in coffin where batteries amp boards and perko switch usually reside

the “in boat” speakers or tower speaker zones RCA cables (i.e. red and white or left and right) coming from the Equalizer separate zones for each type or any other source units rca going to amps can have ground loop noise that might not 100% go away and the ground loop device from Best Buy or other can be a last step after correcting your power and grounds, 

real instsll shops and others here on site will also crack open their EQ source and change internal jumpers to also remedy these noises and try not to use a ground loop filtering device 

Edited by granddaddy55
10 hours ago, Argonaut said:

@granddaddy55 what is remote power and ground? 

Pardon me stewardess, I speak Granddaddy...

What he is saying is what I said above: All audio components should get power and ground from a common source. Usually that is the distribution blocks for the stereo amps. 

• Like 4

@Argonaut We have become Seattle this winter after an already extremely wet summer and fall 

I used 7 different spots this year to run from the rain , good news their all 30-60 minutes including gas stop 

That's nice that you have places to run from the rain :)

We have dry weather for a few hours ...sometimes a day or two and then back to the rain :( 

-----------------------------------

Ok, I connected the ground of the pump directly to the dash negative block and that removed the pump whine. 

In the observer compartment, I tried wiring the exile blue tooth power directly to the battery - I have only the Fosgate amp and JBL box and It looks like they are connected directly to the battery as well.

Now when the Heater is on high there is no whine.

The only remaining issue is when the heater is on low, the exile produces a whine that you can hear.

Suggestions for next steps to try?

13 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

That's nice that you have places to run from the rain :)

We have dry weather for a few hours ...sometimes a day or two and then back to the rain :( 

-----------------------------------

Ok, I connected the ground of the pump directly to the dash negative block and that removed the pump whine. 

In the observer compartment, I tried wiring the exile blue tooth power directly to the battery - I have only the Fosgate amp and JBL box and It looks like they are connected directly to the battery as well.

Now when the Heater is on high there is no whine.

The only remaining issue is when the heater is on low, the exile produces a whine that you can hear.

Suggestions for next steps to try?

how is the exile unit connected?  To black box AUX?

You have one amp, which powers all speakers?

I have been connecting the exile using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and then plugging that into the AUX in the glovebox.

Yes, under the observer area there is a JBL box and a Rockford Fosgate box that says PUNCH P400-4.

I have two tower speakers plus the regular in boat speakers (2 in bow, 2 in rear).

Attached are photos if they can be of help.

Fosgate.jpeg

JBL.jpg

Amp wiring.jpg

so I would check where the yellow and black wires from the JBL black box are terminating.  Are they really hooked to the battery?  If so, as an experiment, I would disconnect them from the battery and loosen the power and ground at your amp, then jam the yellow wire in the + spot and the black wire in the - spot.  Do the same with the exile unit's power and ground.  That should give you common power and ground on all.  

• Like 1