Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LX - Play in steering wheel

Hey Guys, Last spring, I read post after post of members replacing cables and tilt mechanisms while trying to chase down the play in my steering wheel.  What I found was the cable/tiller arm linkage was lose in my boat.  This little bit of play in the video created a 1" side to side play in the steering wheel.  I thought I would post this incase it helps someone in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ToO7N6AZQvSdMrgL1SEpxQ.Kv61MxbpNhIi9RLLzdjSfI

• Like 3
On 1/1/2019 at 2:40 PM, MinaquaWI said:

Hey Guys, Last spring, I read post after post of members replacing cables and tilt mechanisms while trying to chase down the play in my steering wheel.  What I found was the cable/tiller arm linkage was lose in my boat.  This little bit of play in the video created a 1" side to side play in the steering wheel.  I thought I would post this incase it helps someone in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ToO7N6AZQvSdMrgL1SEpxQ.Kv61MxbpNhIi9RLLzdjSfI

EDIT:  Worked in different browser.  Weird firefox issue

Edited by UWSkier
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this, MinaquaWI. I too had a case of steering play- 1/2 rotation of the steering wheel! It turned out to be that the steering cable mounting bracket in the bilge had lost one of the two bolts holding it in place, allowing it to slide back and forth. I posted about it in the forums over at axiswakeboardboats.com. Getting the bracket securely mounted again corrected the sloppy steering.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings: 

Thanks for this post and the video. I have not gotten into the details of what might be causing it, but I have a similar, 1" play in the wheel in our 2002 Response LX. It also feels like it binds up on occasion, but that may be owing to cavitation. When the boat is not moving, the wheel feel smooth lock to lock. 

What was the fix? Did you simply tighten the bolts from the cable to the rudder arm (tiller?). Did you have to replace the rudder arm? Were you able to repair it with a bushing? 

Thanks,

Bill

BTW: I have been reading this forum for a few years but only recently registered and started posting... That to all of you who post such valuable information.