Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 23 lsv misc questions

Argonaut

Hi,

As I get into my still new for me 2008 wakesetter I have a few misc questions.

See the attached photos for the items I am referencing.

under the sun deck cover photo...areas circled in green...

1) what was the black rubber fastener attached at the rear just under and inside the sun deck cover used for?

2) under the same sub deck are some extra wires and connectors in blue?

3) Anyone know of a place that sells the missing black rope /misc holder that screws into the underside of the sun deck cover? I show the one from the driver side but the port one is missing.

4) Are there any aftermarket trays that can go under the port or starboard sundeck covers? Like the engine warming tray. I have the WakeMAKER 910 there and when they fill up there is not a lot of space but an extra shallow tray or two would be nice :)

Top of the engine cover...

5A) is the hose labeled “heater” going into the top of the engine the hose that leads to AND fills the heatercraft core?

5B) I’m  going to add a circulator pump... I assume it will be  more effective to add it near the core up at the driver area than in the engine compartment?

thanks in advance for your help :)

98B38F72-7125-449D-AF05-4054B1A077F1.jpeg

2D38248D-E553-4604-9AF7-488E69E7BF64.jpeg

5EF6171D-7D3B-411E-BD74-5BC048B94D3B.jpeg

274019EF-EF59-425F-BC1D-05EBA71EEA08.jpeg

Prett sure the answer to number 1 is that piece stretches diagonally across the engine divider and fastens below.  Then, the wind block can sit next to the engine divider while that piece keeps it from tipping over in the rear locker.   

Answer to #1 depends on which side you are talking about. Port attaches to the table to keep it from tipping over. Starboard attaches diagonally to the floor and the windscreen slides behind it.

#3 - possibly GreatLakesSkipper

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Malibu

Never seen anything like you reference in #4

#1, looks like the bungee cord holder for the table. 

#2, could be wiring for a compartment light, but I'm not sure.

#3, try bakes for the cord and fittings:

https://www.bakesonline.com/table-bungee-cord-1-4-sold-by-the-foot.html

https://www.bakesonline.com/table-bungee-screw-down-mounting-eye-for-hook.html

https://www.bakesonline.com/table-bungee-hook-end.html

https://www.bakesonline.com/table-bungee-mounting-eye-loop.html

#4, I haven't seen any alternative storage pockets.

5A, yes, that house goes to the heater core.

5B, heater circulating pumps are not often used on the 5.7L motors, they are necessary for Gen IV 6.0 and 6.2 engines, but the pumps are are normally mounted in the engine compartment to help push the water through the system.  Most pumps push water better than pulling it.  If you use a pump near the engine, I would recommend getting an ignition protected pump (check out heater craft https://heatercraft.com/collections/marine-heater-parts/products/heater-hose-fitting-kit-1?variant=37942849803 ).  You may want to use a low idle Y instead ( https://heatercraft.com/collections/marine-heater-parts/products/low-idle-wyes?variant=37946054347 ).  They work very well at a lower cost, with only a little plumbing modification, and no wiring involved.

The errant wire is in the vicinity of the bilge blower. If the blower doesn’t work might want to dig around in there and see to confirm. Any same sized blower will work if it is missing or shot. You might have to splice on new connectors if you don’t get an OEM replacement. That’s what I did at a significant savings. If the wires were a blue and black combo then they could be for the underwater transom lights, at least on my ‘10 they are. 

Thank you all for your answers!

i think the blower is present (I hear it but will try to see where it actually is)...

followups:

1) how puncture resistant are the WakeMAKERS 910 bags? Eg if I bungee in the table on one side and the wind blocker on the other ... is there a chance the bags will puncture themselves?

2) I just added the CM30 under the dash and only get cold air... see my post in this same category... I’m wondering if I have the hoses backwards or if I need to actually have the boat in gear to test it out .. though the engine was warming to over 160...

Edited by Argonaut
22 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

Thank you all for your answers!

i think the blower is present (I hear it but will try to see where it actually is)...

followups:

1) how puncture resistant are the WakeMAKERS 910 bags? Eg if I bungee in the table on one side and the wind blocker on the other ... is there a chance the bags will puncture themselves?

I took the table out completely, and also took the slide in brackets for both the table and windscreen.  With the bungee in place, the windscreen will stay put.

You will need to reinforce the engine divider panels running the 910's if you haven't already. Wakemakers sells a kit or you can make your own.

The divider panels are reinforced but I don’t see any brackets... 

If I understand your message above you have the windscreen with the bag in place but not the table?

it would be nice to be able to store the table back there too if it won’t puncture the bag...

The Johnson circulation pump would probably work better if it is mounted near the motor and as low as possible without risk of it being submerged or at least lower than the inlet water source.  The inlet is the inline fitting on the end of the pump and should be connected to the intake manifold water hose.  The outlet is the fitting on the side of the pump that goes out at a 90 degree angle from the pump and should be connected to the heater core.  It is important for the pump to be flooded by water so it can prime.  It will not pull water up to prime itself.  Also, if mounted horizontally, the outlet on the pump needs to be facing up.

According to the manual, 

The CM-series pumps are normal-priming centrifugal pumps and should be mounted in a manner that ensures that they are always flooded or else be primed before being switched on.

The pumps can be installed in optional position, horizontally or vertically. To avoid air-locks when mounted horizontally, the outlet should be turned in such a way that the it is directed upwards or is placed on the upper side of the pump body.

Hope this helps.

18 minutes ago, Argonaut said:

The divider panels are reinforced but I don’t see any brackets... 

If I understand your message above you have the windscreen with the bag in place but not the table?

it would be nice to be able to store the table back there too if it won’t puncture the bag...

My 2010 had brackets the table and windscreen slid down between, yours may not.

Correct, I never carried the table in my boat.  My icechests work just as good as the table.

Here is a photo of the current install. Which I think handles any potential airlock issue. The current issue is that I am not sure it’s connected to the correct hose as the hose leading to it only gave a few more ounces of water than the other hose (which I would have expected to have minimal output)... I only tested at the dock though and even with the engine at 160, the vent was giving cold air... so perhaps I need to take it for a spin to get the water moving... is there a risk of some damage if the hoses are backwards  or just more cold air?

47F2ADC1-59E8-43CA-922E-B40F218594E2.thumb.jpeg.cb0a83bf9739f072463501c257f2a85b.jpeg

i could move it to the stern as a last resort but this took me some time just to get it here (which I did based upon another thread on this forum :))...

btw, Happy New Year  to all if you! I really appreciate all of the advice and answers!

Edited by Argonaut

I'm not sure that setup will work, but it might work just fine, give it a try.  Maybe take the hose off the heater core and one off the motor (intake or circulation pump, which ever is easier) and blow through it.  There is a 50/50 chance to get it right the first time, and either way you will know which hose is which.  FYI, it doesn't matter which way it flows through the heater core.

Thanks csleaver! Just to doubly confirm... the hose I circled in green coming out of the top of the engine earlier in this thread is the one feeding the water TO the heater core and thus the one I need to confirm is connected into the pump I added, correct?

ok, I blew air through it and now the pump is fed from the top of the engine ... a quick runabout the lake and all is great! Hot air even for a few minutes after going to idle :)