Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer dolly with boat and tandom trailer

granddaddy55

In have used trailer jack and it’s wheel (that’s fun turning jack wheel when boat is on trailer !) to push/pull boat in or out of carport by hand.  Started using truck again recently but the neighbors concrete retaining wall lines my driveway and the careful ins and outs through door to check the back up and not damage it or scratch the door made me exit and entry through passenger door on most recent attempt reminding me why I do it by hand (real fun on crutches with broken leg 3 years ago )

the below from overtons is weight rated 750 lbs tongue and adjustable high enough but only comment was that old guy like me used it for empty pontoon trailer 

any body ever use this and slightly turn angles to direction the trailer with boat on a  tandom?  I do it with the jack , so I’m thinking this will work 

https://www.overtons.com/search/Trailer dolly

its so cheap , I’m wondering if it will work and so cheap doesn’t even qualify fir free shipping 

Edited by granddaddy55

Should work, as long as you have a helper to chock tge tires since you won't be able to pull the boat out and attach to truck in one operation like you can with the tongue jack.   I keep meaning to come up with some sort of steering attachment for my tongue jack so that I don't have to steer it by kicking the wheel as i am pulling/pushing it the last bit into the garage. 

Kicking that wheel!!!! I’m with you brother !! 5 years of kicking or yanking with hands that wheel , I’ve even hammered it with a two by four as the buffer

i always wondered if anyone else had to do that each week , that and tower up and down each week starting to wear me out in middle of summer , just to go each week I sweat at least 2-4 liters of water before we leave the house , looking for anything that will cut that work load 

Dolly is tall enough so you can leave the jack at high position and dolly still lifts it up , at least thats what measuring the height of trailer  where it sits tells me against specs of dolly 

Seems fine.  I would highly recommend looking for and paying extra for one with a brake lever.  Basically looks like a bike handle brake.  

If you're handy with a welder, (or know someone who can assist) there's some YouTube tutorials on how to build an electric using an atv/utv winch as the motor and transmission.  The winch also self brakes.  I almost built one of these but found a few extra gimmicks to make backing into my garage a lot easier. 

Cheap wireless backup cameras are awesome.  Hint, I put one on the back wall to show clearance angles.  The monitor is in the truck and connects to it when I pull into the driveway.

I tow to and from the lake 2-4 days a week April to November, so once I knock the rust off in the spring it becomes a pretty well oiled operation. 

Edited by Pra4sno
8 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Seems fine.  I would highly recommend looking for and paying extra for one with a brake lever.  Basically looks like a bike handle brake.  

If you're handy with a welder, (or know someone who can assist) there's some YouTube tutorials on how to build an electric using an atv/utv winch as the motor and transmission.  The winch also self brakes.  I almost built one of these but found a few extra gimmicks to make backing into my garage a lot easier. 

Cheap wireless backup cameras are awesome.  Hint, I put one on the back wall to show clearance angles.  The monitor is in the truck and connects to it when I pull into the driveway.

I tow to and from the lake 2-4 days a week April to November, so once I knock the rust off in the spring it becomes a pretty well oiled operation. 

Driveway perfectly level so don’t need brake , it’s the concrete retaining wall next to my driveway that makes it a problem with the truck , it’s a tight fit under carport if I tuck it in out of rain completely ,  I don’t want to scratch truck door on wall exiting the truck , the better I park boat , closer truck is to neighbors concrete wall

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Kicking that wheel!!!! I’m with you brother !! 5 years of kicking or yanking with hands that wheel , I’ve even hammered it with a two by four as the buffer

i always wondered if anyone else had to do that each week , that and tower up and down each week starting to wear me out in middle of summer , just to go each week I sweat at least 2-4 liters of water before we leave the house , looking for anything that will cut that work load 

Dolly is tall enough so you can leave the jack at high position and dolly still lifts it up , at least thats what measuring the height of trailer  where it sits tells me against specs of dolly 

Gotta use a rubber mallet.  Lay it on the tongue and grab it to hit that wheel.  Shoot.  I don’t know how you guys get a tandem axle trailer to turn with a boat on it.