Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F-150 for 2019 23 LSV?

eubanks

55 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Ok. After a lot of back and forth I’ve decided to go F-150 with the 3.5 EB. I’ve got one more question. 4x4 necessary?  Never on snow here so I guess only use case would be wet ramp. That being said, my wife’s 2011 5.4L Expedition is 4x2 and we’ve never had problems at the ramp.

Ive got options of a leftover 2018 Lariat 4x4 or a 2019 Lariat 4x2 with otherwise the exact same engine and options. Which one is a better deal as both are brand new and same price?

The better deal is the 4x4 IMO.  

FWIW, I always pull my boat out in 4 wheel drive. Sometimes the ramps are a little steep or sandy and I’ve felt some slipping. Having it in 4 wheel just provides more grip and pulling power. I do it in my 6.2 Silverado and my wife’s 5.3 Tahoe. Since I drive the boat on and the wife pulls it out, she turns the dial to 2 wheel as soon as the trucks up on level surface. 

6 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

The better deal is the 4x4 IMO.  

It is very easy to brake the tires lose with the Eco. The torque comes in very quick and low RPM.  I have not bought a truck or SUV without AWD in a long time.  And the Eco gets near the same fuel economy in AWD as 2X4 . As long as you are not mud bogging or working the 4X4 hard.  And as said resale !

What was it the old senator said about strip clubs?  -  "its better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them". I would go with the 4X4 because that one time you really need it, it's worth it.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm still on the hunt.  I have come to love the F-150 Platinums but new are a little rich for me.  So trying to be patient and see if a gently used 2017 or 2018 turns up.  So far the 2011 Expo 5.3L has done great and surprisingly gets the boat up the ramp with ease.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, eubanks said:

Found the one!  I couldn’t find anything in my budget and local in a 2017 or 2018, but stumbled across this low mileage 2016 F-150 Platinum with the 3.5L EB and max tow package yesterday. So far, so good!  Thanks for all the help.  Now I’m ready for a level, black wheels, and some bigger tires.  😉

7EF4BFDF-34E4-4F26-8214-B0B5BCC3B551.jpeg

6FBB9ADE-D1FD-4D4F-89DD-DCC46E8EA311.jpeg

I'd put a set of airbags on it and call it good. These trucks are great.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:32 PM, hethj7 said:

@eubanks may want to flip your hitch to get 2” rise vs the drop.  That is how my F150 tower with a family level trailer on the 2016 LSV.  If you get air bags it may not matter.  

Air bags not coming anytime soon, so my plan is to flip the hitch as you stated.  We did the same thing on my wife's Expedition and trailer rides much more level now.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, eubanks said:

Air bags not coming anytime soon, so my plan is to flip the hitch as you stated.  We did the same thing on my wife's Expedition and trailer rides much more level now.  Thanks!

Oh come on. Don't tighten up now. 

:rofl:

11 hours ago, eubanks said:

When you do decide to get some air bags, you can find the manual fill Firestone ride rite kit on Amazon for right at $300.  Installed them on my Tundra a couple weeks ago and finally towed a 32' camper this weekend that weighs about the same as my '18 LSV.  Made a huge difference in towing. This was my first truck to install them on and now I can't believe it took me this long to get a set.

• Like 2

My F150 squatted more than I wanted the first time I towed my 2018 23LSV. I called a local company to get an airbag quote. They said they haven’t installed them in over 18 months once they started installing Roadmaster Active Suspensions. They said they are far easier to install, cheaper and require no long term maintenance. They seem so get good reviews, but I trust this forum more. Anyone have any experience?

https://activesuspension.com/

294163FC-7252-4938-AB4B-A9C59EA66685.thumb.jpeg.cf2eb47cb9e4b71fbceabd5edae2d188.jpeg

So you guys think that a leveling kit and air bags are not too bad of an install?  As a truck virgin, this makes me nervous to do on my own.  But I did about choke when I got a quote to do a leveling kit and wireless bag system from 4 Wheel Parts at $2,660.

Leveling kit is an easy install, but you'll have to get right in after install for an alignment.  No biggie if there's a shop close to you for an alignment.  Otherwise you would not want to drive much until the alignment as you could develop odd tire wear issues.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, siteki said:

My F150 squatted more than I wanted the first time I towed my 2018 23LSV. I called a local company to get an airbag quote. They said they haven’t installed them in over 18 months once they started installing Roadmaster Active Suspensions. They said they are far easier to install, cheaper and require no long term maintenance. They seem so get good reviews, but I trust this forum more. Anyone have any experience?

https://activesuspension.com/

294163FC-7252-4938-AB4B-A9C59EA66685.thumb.jpeg.cf2eb47cb9e4b71fbceabd5edae2d188.jpeg

Did you do a level kit on your truck?  What size tires?

12 hours ago, eubanks said:

So you guys think that a leveling kit and air bags are not too bad of an install?  As a truck virgin, this makes me nervous to do on my own.  But I did about choke when I got a quote to do a leveling kit and wireless bag system from 4 Wheel Parts at $2,660.

Are you planning to do bigger wheels/tires? If not, level kit is a waste of money. Air bag kits themselves are fairly cheap ($300 range). That said, pretty sure a lot of f150 owners on this forum tow without them. 

12 hours ago, eubanks said:

Leveling kits are easy. I’ve done several of my trucks. I’ve only done 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but I’d think they’d be about the same.  Biggest things is having enough jack stands and jacks around to hold the truck up while you lower the axle to either replace the springs like some kits have or put in spacers. Relatively painless process though. Do make sure you get an alignment afterwards like inlandlaker said  

I would think air bags would be the same concept and relatively easy depending on the system you go with. Manual fill being easiest and compressor type system being a little more complex. 

19 hours ago, eubanks said:

Not too bad of a job. I think I had about a day  between the front and rear on by 15 F-150. 

I ended up going with Rancho Quiklift struts in the front with air lift load leveler manual fill bags in the rear along with a set of 10ply 305/55R20 tires. Unfortunately I can't tell you what made the biggest difference in towing as all were done at the same time, but can say that the truck feels a lot more planted on the road when towing in comparison to stock. 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, eubanks said:

Although I know I have the skills and tools to do a level, I chose not to do it for my last two trucks.  I wanted a reputable shop that would take responsibility if anything was off, or went wrong.  The internet is flooded with horror stores of level installs gone wrong. I did on the other hand install the airbags and onboard air compressor for both my GMC Denali and F250