Jump to content
eubanks

F-150 for 2019 23 LSV?

Recommended Posts

Sparky450
2 hours ago, Sixball said:

Yeper I think resale for diesels have improved. Even a gas pickup is bringing better resale today. Like i said I have not looked at it for many years. One thing that has changed over the years is the ability for the newer vehicles to live in our northern salted roads. Back in the days of our racing the metal in our vehicles just could not take our salted roads well at all. Do you diesel owners have attached garages ?  Do you have a issue with smell?      

I park in an attached garage every night. I have never smelled the diesel at all. My wife and her keen since of smell has never complained either. Really a non issue. Since 2003😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
carguy79ta
20 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I park in an attached garage every night. I have never smelled the diesel at all. My wife and her keen since of smell has never complained either. Really a non issue. Since 2003😎

I also park my deleted, tuned 2500 Ram in the garage, I pull it in, then back it out, some diesel smell, since it is deleted, but no biggee. If it was stock with def,  there would be no smell at all.

Edited by carguy79ta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk

One thing you might be over looking is the difference  between f150 pkgs and also the model years.. 

once you get into a 10-speed transmission in a 2017 it makes all the difference in the world for towing a large or heavy load. And fuel economy. some people also have Max tow packages which include sway bar suspension etc like on platinum's or others loaded up. This makes a huge difference over your standard XLT.. but you also start to reach base 3/4 ton pricing when you load up a lariat or go to a platinum with Max tow and eco boost pkg. I tow my 25lsv fine with a 2017 10 speed transmission Max tow F-150 platinum on a tandem axle trailer I do think the triple Axel would be better and reduce a little bit of tongue weight for long hauls.. I typically pull 3 hours to and from the dealer a few times a year without any worries.. if I trailered every single weekend with a truck full of gear and persons then I would probably consider a 3/4 or if I was in the mountains and or wanted better fuel economy.. 

The the F-150 platinum is a dream daily driver.. the 250 is a bit rougher for sure.. so it depends what you want to use it for.. 99.99% of my time it's a daily kid shuttle.

my only recommendation is at minimum a 2017 or newer F-150 if you go that route because you get the 10-speed transmission also make sure to get max tow package.. and with the 23 lsv you'll need a class IV 2" in raised hitch with stock truck height.. 

also correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the f250s  get a 10-speed until either 2018 or 2019 model years.. 

Edited by The Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
14 hours ago, The Hulk said:

recommendation is at minimum a 2017 or newer F-150 if you go that route because you get the 10-speed transmission also make sure to get max tow package.. and with the 23 lsv you'll need a class IV 2" in raised hitch with stock truck height.. 

Yep, I've only been looking as old as 2017 due to wanting that 10-speed tranny.  I've been targeting only 150's with the max tow and class IV hitch.  Like you, this will mainly be a daily driver for me (45 miles round trip) plus a short 5 mile tow to the lake 90% of the time.  I'm convinced the 150 will do the job but want to make sure I get the max tow and right hitch.  Now to find a gently used one without too many miles.  I do want leather, but don't care as much about all the other bells and whistles so have been looking mostly at Lariats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk
5 hours ago, eubanks said:

Yep, I've only been looking as old as 2017 due to wanting that 10-speed tranny.  I've been targeting only 150's with the max tow and class IV hitch.  Like you, this will mainly be a daily driver for me (45 miles round trip) plus a short 5 mile tow to the lake 90% of the time.  I'm convinced the 150 will do the job but want to make sure I get the max tow and right hitch.  Now to find a gently used one without too many miles.  I do want leather, but don't care as much about all the other bells and whistles so have been looking mostly at Lariats.

well dont worry about the hitch is like $35-40 at any menards

the max tow packages with /sway bar / 10 speed WITH 3.5 Eco Boost, this will be more than plenty for you. 

Bells and whistles.. i'll give you a little insight to some of my decisions: I hear ya on costs but do yourself a favor and try the platinum or a loaded lariat.. you wont go back, ...AC-cooled + heated seats, Seat Massaging mode - yes not joking they are massaging seats with massage mode great for long trips (massaging is Plat. only) Love the upgraded electronics pkg with 360 Cameras, towing blind spot monitoring and trailer setup. Very nice knowing someone is in your blind spot 30ft back! 

i was between a fully loaded lariat and a Plat when purchasing new. the difference between the two "used market" is minimal so you could easily pick up a Plat at hardly any price delta compared to a loaded lariat, granted there is a HUGE and i mean HUGE difference in the lariat pkgs you can get, however what i found is when you put a 3.5 eco + max tow, they most people put several other goodies on there so they get pricey quick and the Plat's for the most part typically always have all that stuff. 

going that short of distance dont worry about 10ply tires you will just wear them out on your daily driving. 

the 2017 + F150s are a DREAM to drive, better than a Yukon denali, smoother better ride, waaaay better and more comfortable seats, list goes on and on. 

Upgraded Sound system: ok for a stock car its just awesome! color changing mood lighting, ok i can go without but the kids like it! Ninja turtle green one night, puple the next. 

panoramic sun roof: ok its awesome, but i find myself hardly using it, looking back if they would have offered without and i could have added a DVD screen for kids in the back i would have gone that route. Looks greaty but if you can go without i'd save the money. 

Running boards/steps: i wasnt keen on the electric folding running boards but here is my opinion now: a MUST have if your using during the winter months. The stationary ones dont give you a good step platform, your toes hit the truck and your on your toes. they are up high so its a high step to get on; then a small step into the truck. The folding ones extend down MUCH further and allow your entire foot to rest on the boards, makes getting in and out far easier and i should say nicer. Also during winter months they are tucked under and they dont fill up with snow and ice so when they fold down again you have a full and much WIDER step. the stationary ones at time fill in with snow and leave you digging your toes in. at the time this was one of my least favorite things to spend money on, i thought it was over the top, however it would now be my #1 paid upgrade on a new truck i wouldnt go without. 

Max Tow Big boy mirros: ohhh are they NICE: the standard mirrors are just horrible after you go to the elephant ears! you can see everything and they fold back nicely for parking in garages or out in tight parking lots. They also extend OUT wider for towing and make pulling a large wake boat super easy. you can see everything clearly without having to re focus your eyes. Driving through any narrow barricades this is very helpful seeing the trailer guides and also the trailer wheels all in one view/glance you don't second guess where your trailer is at on the road. another MUST have if you tow a wake boat! Also i think you can buy them aftermarket and slap them on pretty easily but well worth it!

if its your daily ride id highly suggest you consider some creature comforts you will never go back, such as remote start cooling or heating based on outside weather, lovely heated leather steering wheel on the plat is far upgraded over the lariat. i was a the dealer ship back and forth on the two all day long a year and half ago.  it was a tough pill to swallow at the time but i did the leap. These 150s have come a LONG way in the past few years. Anyhow if your buying used then your getting all the creature comforts for a killer deal because the orig. owner gets hosed on all that. 

Last year i was driving 100-120mi daily round trip and i can say it was just a dream to drive this compared to every other car i've had in the past. We had a work truck f150 i pulled with standard v6 6-speed, what a joke compared to the eco boost and 10 speed. You cant even put them in the same league. @IXFE is still scared to go test drive one because his wife will kill him when he returns back in 1hr with one. :lol:

 

Edited by The Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

 @IXFE is still scared to go test drive one because his wife will kill him when he returns back in 1hr with one. :lol:

Why would he want to down grade? It is very difficult to go from a diesel to a gasser if you tow frequently. I’ve actually been thinking about making the switch now that my boat lives in a marina. But when towing every weekend or over mountain passes, hard to beat all that torque. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk

Oh sorry I didn't realize he ended up getting one or a big boy. I just remember he was tempted a while back..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Oh sorry I didn't realize he ended up getting one or a big boy. I just remember he was tempted a while back..

You missed a pretty epic gif then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

To repost or not to repost?  That is the question...

🤔

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
27 minutes ago, IXFE said:

To repost or not to repost?  That is the question...

🤔

That’s not even a question. Post it. #doitibetyouwont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

well dont worry about the hitch is like $35-40 at any menards

the max tow packages with /sway bar / 10 speed WITH 3.5 Eco Boost, this will be more than plenty for you. 

Bells and whistles.. i'll give you a little insight to some of my decisions: I hear ya on costs but do yourself a favor and try the platinum or a loaded lariat.. you wont go back, ...AC-cooled + heated seats, Seat Massaging mode - yes not joking they are massaging seats with massage mode great for long trips (massaging is Plat. only) Love the upgraded electronics pkg with 360 Cameras, towing blind spot monitoring and trailer setup. Very nice knowing someone is in your blind spot 30ft back! 

i was between a fully loaded lariat and a Plat when purchasing new. the difference between the two "used market" is minimal so you could easily pick up a Plat at hardly any price delta compared to a loaded lariat, granted there is a HUGE and i mean HUGE difference in the lariat pkgs you can get, however what i found is when you put a 3.5 eco + max tow, they most people put several other goodies on there so they get pricey quick and the Plat's for the most part typically always have all that stuff. 

going that short of distance dont worry about 10ply tires you will just wear them out on your daily driving. 

the 2017 + F150s are a DREAM to drive, better than a Yukon denali, smoother better ride, waaaay better and more comfortable seats, list goes on and on. 

Upgraded Sound system: ok for a stock car its just awesome! color changing mood lighting, ok i can go without but the kids like it! Ninja turtle green one night, puple the next. 

panoramic sun roof: ok its awesome, but i find myself hardly using it, looking back if they would have offered without and i could have added a DVD screen for kids in the back i would have gone that route. Looks greaty but if you can go without i'd save the money. 

Running boards/steps: i wasnt keen on the electric folding running boards but here is my opinion now: a MUST have if your using during the winter months. The stationary ones dont give you a good step platform, your toes hit the truck and your on your toes. they are up high so its a high step to get on; then a small step into the truck. The folding ones extend down MUCH further and allow your entire foot to rest on the boards, makes getting in and out far easier and i should say nicer. Also during winter months they are tucked under and they dont fill up with snow and ice so when they fold down again you have a full and much WIDER step. the stationary ones at time fill in with snow and leave you digging your toes in. at the time this was one of my least favorite things to spend money on, i thought it was over the top, however it would now be my #1 paid upgrade on a new truck i wouldnt go without. 

Max Tow Big boy mirros: ohhh are they NICE: the standard mirrors are just horrible after you go to the elephant ears! you can see everything and they fold back nicely for parking in garages or out in tight parking lots. They also extend OUT wider for towing and make pulling a large wake boat super easy. you can see everything clearly without having to re focus your eyes. Driving through any narrow barricades this is very helpful seeing the trailer guides and also the trailer wheels all in one view/glance you don't second guess where your trailer is at on the road. another MUST have if you tow a wake boat! Also i think you can buy them aftermarket and slap them on pretty easily but well worth it!

if its your daily ride id highly suggest you consider some creature comforts you will never go back, such as remote start cooling or heating based on outside weather, lovely heated leather steering wheel on the plat is far upgraded over the lariat. i was a the dealer ship back and forth on the two all day long a year and half ago.  it was a tough pill to swallow at the time but i did the leap. These 150s have come a LONG way in the past few years. Anyhow if your buying used then your getting all the creature comforts for a killer deal because the orig. owner gets hosed on all that. 

Last year i was driving 100-120mi daily round trip and i can say it was just a dream to drive this compared to every other car i've had in the past. We had a work truck f150 i pulled with standard v6 6-speed, what a joke compared to the eco boost and 10 speed. You cant even put them in the same league. @IXFE is still scared to go test drive one because his wife will kill him when he returns back in 1hr with one. :lol:

 

What a different life people live. Weather obviously makes a huge difference with what you say is a must have. My running boards will never fill with ice and snow. 😂😎😎and I am so glad. And towing daily. I will always own a diesel 3500.  Notice I skipped the 2500. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks

@The Hulk Great insight!  Thanks for sharing.  I need to take a look at the platinum/limiteds.  My wife has a limited Expedition and the extras are definitely nice.  I just don't like the chrome insert in the tailgates.  It sounds picky, but I just don't like the way they look.  I need to keep shopping around.  It's tougher than I thought to have a used 2017-2018 Lariat that has the 3.5 EB and HD tow package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk
36 minutes ago, eubanks said:

@The Hulk Great insight!  Thanks for sharing.  I need to take a look at the platinum/limiteds.  My wife has a limited Expedition and the extras are definitely nice.  I just don't like the chrome insert in the tailgates.  It sounds picky, but I just don't like the way they look.  I need to keep shopping around.  It's tougher than I thought to have a used 2017-2018 Lariat that has the 3.5 EB and HD tow package.

It's a small touch but $10 Amazon stickers makes the tailgate look much nicer filling in with black letters,

As  far as total chrome; loaded lariats had way too much shiny chrome all over IMO  rims /bumpers/grill/ everything, that is why I really liked the plat. Duller rims, black bumper brushed looking grill way more subtle. Attached pic with black filler stickers

20190212_155048.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
browneye253
56 minutes ago, eubanks said:

@The Hulk Great insight!  Thanks for sharing.  I need to take a look at the platinum/limiteds.  My wife has a limited Expedition and the extras are definitely nice.  I just don't like the chrome insert in the tailgates.  It sounds picky, but I just don't like the way they look.  I need to keep shopping around.  It's tougher than I thought to have a used 2017-2018 Lariat that has the 3.5 EB and HD tow package.

I was hunting for one last August after my Tahoe died.  I was looking for a 2017 Platinum but couldn't seem to find the color and options I wanted.  Ended up with a loaded Lariat with the only thing missing from the platinum being the power running boards and seat massage.  Really like the truck though and the interior is way roomier than my Tahoe's first two rows.  I think I hunted for about a month or so looking for one that had what I wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk
36 minutes ago, browneye253 said:

I was hunting for one last August after my Tahoe died.  I was looking for a 2017 Platinum but couldn't seem to find the color and options I wanted.  Ended up with a loaded Lariat with the only thing missing from the platinum being the power running boards and seat massage.  Really like the truck though and the interior is way roomier than my Tahoe's first two rows.  I think I hunted for about a month or so looking for one that had what I wanted.

I agree the interior on these things is huge! Especially the back when you flip up the seats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker

I had the power running boards on my 16.  I didn’t like them at all.  They’re prone to failure and when that happens, they entire board needs to be replaced.  They’re not serviceable.  Kind of a joke.  

 

I opted for normal boards on my 18.  This is my 4th EB F150 and honestly, it isn’t the best.  I’m certainly still a fan, but I’ve had all sorts of issues with the current one.  None are major, but unacceptable IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks

@inlandlaker Well, it can't be that bad of a truck if you bought 3 more after your first one right?  :biggrin:  What sort of issues have you experienced?

 

@browneye253 Yeah, I've been looking at used trucks that meet the following criteria:  Model: Lariat, Year 2017-2018, Engine: 3.5L EB, Color: Black, Miles: < 35K, Max Tow Package.  Even just looking based on those requirements, I can't seem to find anything within a 200 mile radius of Dallas.  I really don't want to buy new but perhaps I can find a leftover 2018 for a decent price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat
47 minutes ago, eubanks said:

...Yeah, I've been looking at used trucks that meet the following criteria:  Model: Lariat, Year 2017-2018, Engine: 3.5L EB, Color: Black, Miles: < 35K, Max Tow Package.  Even just looking based on those requirements, I can't seem to find anything within a 200 mile radius of Dallas.  I really don't want to buy new but perhaps I can find a leftover 2018 for a decent price.

Barely Used will be hard to find and if you find one, they will want more than a brand new one.  There is a strange price bubble with the 1-14 month old trucks, and as ridiculous as this may sound, I am convinced that the lightly used market is priced higher than the new market after new dealer incentives. (My experience is with the DFW market.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLBurns

Many times a "barely used" is on the lot or for sale for a negative reason. The previous owner had problems right from the start with it or didn't like it for some reason that was enough to make them take a financial hit on a quick trade. I would rather buy a used vehicle that had one owner and +40k miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166
5 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Many times a "barely used" is on the lot or for sale for a negative reason. The previous owner had problems right from the start with it or didn't like it for some reason that was enough to make them take a financial hit on a quick trade. I would rather buy a used vehicle that had one owner and +40k miles.

Or the previous owner bought a 1/2 ton and quickly decided that it would be much more fun to drive 3/4 ton with diesel therefor got the 1/2 ton gasser back to the dealer ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brantb
21 hours ago, eubanks said:

I really don't want to buy new but perhaps I can find a leftover 2018 for a decent price.

I always wondered if this could be done, but could you find 4 other friends/people you know who want new trucks and go for a fleet deal? Im guessing you could probably find 4 people on here that would take a new truck if they were going to get 30-40% off.

 

Again, I have no clue how fleet deals work, but i read that it only required 5 vehicles purchased the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pra4sno
On 2/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, MLBurns said:

Many times a "barely used" is on the lot or for sale for a negative reason. The previous owner had problems right from the start with it or didn't like it for some reason that was enough to make them take a financial hit on a quick trade. I would rather buy a used vehicle that had one owner and +40k miles.

What is your definition of "barely used"?  

Loads of vehicles are short term personal leases with mileage limitations, company leases where it was rarely driven, an up-sell from the dealer, buyers remorse, personal preferences, or a loan default.  I wouldn't shy away from a lease anymore than a short-term private owner vehicle, as most brands require service, and also require it be done at the dealership.  I had a "buy-back" on a Toyota Tacoma a few years ago after an issue with the truck was unable to be resolved even by the factory service technicians.   During the buy-back process I learned the dealership couldn't actually resell that car, that it was being shipped back for tear down.  

My '15 F150 had been a company lease with low miles.  Came with fully documented service history, and turned out to be a great vehicle.  During ownership there was a mishap at the dealer (technician made a significant mistake) during a fix for a recall, but Ford really impressed me with their response and took full ownership.  It was fixed the right way and was problem free afterwards. 

Again though, to each their own. 

Edited by Pra4sno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrnate450r

If you don't care about all the bells and whistles, buy a XLT Sport and have the dealer put leather in it. I went from a 2013 Platty to a 2017 XLT Sport.  I miss the dual climate control, but that's about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

Seconded.  My 09 was an XLT with dealer added leather.  Great truck.  My dad still drives it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×