Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F-150 for 2019 23 LSV?

eubanks

On 12/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, eubanks said:

Guys - Any thoughts on a 2016-2019 F-150 for towing a 2019 23 LSV?  We’re currently towing our 2005 23 LSV with a 2011 Expedition limited (wife’s car) and then I have an Accord for a daily commuter which is about 45 miles round trip. I’ve been wanting to trade in the sedan anyway for a truck, and it would be nice not to have to switch cars when I take the boat without the wife.

So I know there are many more powerful tow vehicles available but guess I was looking for a jack of all trades and master of none in the 3.5L F-150 to be my daily driver and tow vehicle. We trailer 100% of the time but have a short, flat haul to the lake here in Dallas. Then we will have a few 100-200 mile journeys in relatively flat terrain as well each year. Thoughts on this truck being a good fit for my situation?  Thanks. 

You'll have no issues I have the 3.5 eco on MY 18 F150 fora daily driver tow vehicle as well.  Hauling my 18 T22 and barely notices the thing, the are rated to tow 12K so it's not like your Hauling at the limit

• Like 2
On 2/11/2019 at 3:53 PM, The Hulk said:

I was between a fully loaded lariat and a Plat when purchasing new. the difference between the two "used market" is minimal so you could easily pick up a Plat at hardly any price delta compared to a loaded lariat, granted there is a HUGE and i mean HUGE difference in the lariat pkgs you can get, however what i found is when you put a 3.5 eco + max tow, they most people put several other goodies on there so they get pricey quick and the Plat's for the most part typically always have all that stuff. 

Well, you were right!  It's been very hard to find a Lariat used with the 3.5 in the 2017-2018 range.  I've started looking at the platinums and they are nice indeed.  I've seen a lot of guys that either colored the tailgate letter or painting the plague entirely.  So that's always an option.  Going to talk to the dealer this weekend and see about pricing on a similarly equipped Lariat, but I'm afraid once you've looked it's too late to turn back!

48 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Well, you were right!  It's been very hard to find a Lariat used with the 3.5 in the 2017-2018 range.  I've started looking at the platinums and they are nice indeed.  I've seen a lot of guys that either colored the tailgate letter or painting the plague entirely.  So that's always an option.  Going to talk to the dealer this weekend and see about pricing on a similarly equipped Lariat, but I'm afraid once you've looked it's too late to turn back!

While with the dealer, also ask them to keep you in mind for any 2017s coming off lease.  I've used this approach and was shocked when I got the call and the truck checked all the boxes I requested.  

Good thought.  They have 0% financing on 2018's but need to see what actually cash savings/incentives they have as well.  I think they're asking $55K for a loaded 2018 Platinum.  Pricing seems to be all over the board so hard to know if that is a fair deal.

https://www.cookfordtexas.com/new-Texas+City+-2018-Ford-F+150-Platinum-1FTFW1E11JFD95885

This place seems to have good deals as far as up front pricing. Not sure if people can negotiate better deals at their local dealers

EDIT: Also, once you are up to that 55k mark, might as well get a Lariat superduty diesel.

https://www.cookfordtexas.com/new-Texas+City+-2019-Ford-Super+Duty+F+250+SRW-Lariat-1FT7W2BT1KED25956

Edited by Brantb
19 hours ago, Brantb said:

EDIT: Also, once you are up to that 55k mark, might as well get a Lariat superduty diesel.

https://www.cookfordtexas.com/new-Texas+City+-2019-Ford-Super+Duty+F+250+SRW-Lariat-1FT7W2BT1KED25956

Funny, I started looking at 250's again last night.  Any idea what the mpg difference is between the 6.7 diesel and 3.5L EB highway stop and go driving (not towing)?  One of my concerns is driving 45 miles commuting per day which is going to be the primary use of the vehicle.  My tow to the lake is 5 miles with a few multi-hour tows each year.  I can't find good mpg comparison data online.

Edited by eubanks
11 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Funny, I started looking at 250's again last night.  Any idea what the mpg difference is between the 6.7 diesel and 3.5L EB highway stop and go driving (not towing)?

According to Fuelly, the 150 gets about 2 mpg better. And fuel for it costs less. 

loaded Plats 2017 range low miles 30-60k are going to be in the 43-47k range (45k) from what i've seen around here in indiana. depending on what your bank or dealer will give you (if using a loan) you may end up being out the same monthly payment on a 0% 2018 (obviously more money over-all) but if only considering monthly payment consider the free money longer warranty .. Again that depends on what kind of loan you can get on a used one from dealer or bank might be very close, in some cases buying new is cheaper on a monthly basis. Also if i read correctly the 18s they tweaked a few hp more out of the engine with a tune. 19s slightly more as well. 

i love the 250s but larger turning radius complicates the tight grocery store parking lots around here. and after driving in a few i cant justify the worse every day ride quality

oh and with Most plat's ive seen you get the 36gal extended gas tank.... AWESOME ! less trips to the pump another fav! the only problem is many of the pumps around here shut off at $95 so if your totally on E you cant fill up but its close enough so i call it good. 

at 75mph HWY full tank of gas you can get about 740-760miles (granted thats driving straight hwy for 10+hrs) realistic 21.5mph, drop down to 70mph or lower and you gain 1mph/5mph drop. but who likes being slow? 

Amazon stickers for tail gate are great! they are a thick sticker that has held up for 2yrs to everything i've thrown at them. not bad for a few dollars. i have seen one where someone painted it like a matt black and it looked pretty sweet. 

250 your going to be wasting say $50/ every week if you drive a decent amount compared to the 150. Vs possibly wasting $50 the whole year for towing a few hrs or less per year when pulling with the 150. 

Edited by The Hulk
28 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Funny, I started looking at 250's again last night.  Any idea what the mpg difference is between the 6.7 diesel and 3.5L EB highway stop and go driving (not towing)?

I have no idea, but @RyanB pointed out fuelly. I have been looking at new trucks, and know that the next one will be a 3/4 ton. I have a ram 1500, and at 5280 ft elevation it gets the job done, but the highways are crazy here and i tow ~100 miles every weekend during the summer so it isnt ideal. A ford might due better with the turbos, but i figure at maybe 5k more for initial price might as well get a diesel 3/4 ton that will hold its value much better

• Like 2

@The Hulk Great thoughts, thanks for sharing.  What I've learned is you have 1/2 ton truthers and 3/4 ton truthers and there is no convincing either party that the other option is any good.  :biggrin:  Never having owned a truck, I've been so wishy washy on this decision.  I really think with my amount of commuting and short pull to the ramp, the 150 is the way to go.  But these 3/4 ton guys that have traded in their 1/2 tons tell a good story too!

I think we are all in agreement though that I would need, or be best suited, with the 3.5L EB if I go 150?  It's hard to find that in a Lariat, and the used platinums are hard to find as well.  So perhaps trying to find a leftover 2018 or incentives on a 2019 is the way to go.  For platinum, they all run in the $55-60K range.  Ouch.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eubanks said:

@The Hulk Great thoughts, thanks for sharing.  What I've learned is you have 1/2 ton truthers and 3/4 ton truthers and there is no convincing either party that the other option is any good.  :biggrin:  Never having owned a truck, I've been so wishy washy on this decision.  I really think with my amount of commuting and short pull to the ramp, the 150 is the way to go.  But these 3/4 ton guys that have traded in their 1/2 tons tell a good story too!

I think we are all in agreement though that I would need, or be best suited, with the 3.5L EB if I go 150?  It's hard to find that in a Lariat, and the used platinums are hard to find as well.  So perhaps trying to find a leftover 2018 or incentives on a 2019 is the way to go.  For platinum, they all run in the $55-60K range.  Ouch.

check cars.com lots of 17 plats around 100mi range in the mid 40s. 

a 2018 Eco boost will have tad more power and tow rating than the 17s (both are fine) 19s i think had another small tune as well.

i would love a 250 ! dont get me wrong its awesome for sure. The problem i have is it would be lke 12-14" longer you have to go to a 6ft bed and then im left with maybe a few inches in the garage and not enough to walk around the front and back.

Ride quality of the newer 250s is way better than it use to be but still nothing like a 150s. 

if its an in-town vehicle, ever day i think your better with a 150, if your a country person 250 is awesome for work loads, mountains, big loads and daily towing or frequent long tows. There is no question a 250 is always going to tow better due to weight of truck compared to boat and power. 

A similar equipped 250 is going to be another 10-15k min over the 150. So now your eliminating creature comforts used on a daily basis if staying within the same budget. 

Based on what your doing a few min trip here and there i think a daily 250 driver is over-kill.

if you are coming from an SUV or Car i think you will be shocked on how much larger a 150 feels, let a lone a 250. if your in the suburb or city you may find yourself wanting to take a car to the mall or dinner vs the 250. the 150 will be no hesitation  (another + for folding mirrors) 

then again a 250 plat. would be sweet! an.....break the bank!

Edited by The Hulk

Hulk's length point is a good one.  I have a '14 F150 supercrew with the 6.5' (long) bed.  99% of the time the length is not a problem in regular suburban driving.  Where I end up hating the length is at the ski resort on a snowy powder day when the parking lot guys are packing everyone in really tightly.  Murphy's law says there'll be a longbed dually parked right behind me in that case.  I've had to do the austin powers 94 point turn several times.  I try to back in spaces if I can for this very reason.  Thankfully with the good turning radius, big mirrors, and backup camera (even on my lowly xlt), backing into a parking space is a piece of cake.  I'm definitely glad I have the long bed, but it does bug me on occasion.

If you aren't towing all the time and are mostly a car guy and are coming from a tahoe, an ecoboost F150 is definitely a step up in towing performance, without sacrificing too much on the usability side.

When I was shopping I really wanted a loaded up model.  Then a deal came up on a local XLT that I couldn't refuse.  My truck gets parked outside, so I actually like that mine's the XLT without the bling.  It gets dirty, it get put away wet, it gets snowed on, and I jump in the truck with wet shorts at the lake all the time. 

The only thing I really miss(ed) is(was) heated seats.  I installed those myself at the beginning of the year ($55 amazon kit for both seats) and I really have no complaints about the truck.  I paid about 1/3 of the price of those platinums you are looking at for a truck with a warranty and 62k on the clock.  Towing wise, it pulls my T22 really nicely, and much better than my 7.3L diesel excursion did.  My tows are at altitude and all have significant hills/mountains too.  Mileage sucks (9ish) when pushing hard towing, but that's to be expected.

Edited by shawndoggy
11 hours ago, eubanks said:

What I've learned is you have 1/2 ton truthers and 3/4 ton truthers and there is no convincing either party that the other option is any good.  :biggrin: 

I am in the 3/4 or 1 ton camp, but there are plenty of good reasons to own a 1/2 ton.  For me, personally, though, having a 3/4 ton or 1 ton opens up so many towing possibilities (big TT, big fiver, dump trailer, flat bed, etc.) it is worth the extra cost and some of the downsides to owning a bigger vehicle.  It also just feels like a more substantial, solid vehicle.  But I can see why an off-roader or non-heavy-tower might prefer a nice half ton to a bigger truck.    

10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I am in the 3/4 or 1 ton camp, but there are plenty of good reasons to own a 1/2 ton.  For me, personally, though, having a 3/4 ton or 1 ton opens up so many towing possibilities (big TT, big fiver, dump trailer, flat bed, etc.) it is worth the extra cost and some of the downsides to owning a bigger vehicle.  It also just feels like a more substantial, solid vehicle.  But I can see why an off-roader or non-heavy-tower might prefer a nice half ton to a bigger truck.    

This is a good point.  All the components on the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks are so much more stout than on the 1/2 tons.  If I ever got a 3/4, the primary reason would be for longevity in the components.  I don't tow much.....an occasional trip with the boat and the family, but generally it's to the ramp in the spring and from the ramp in the fall.  Downside for me and a truck is a family of 6......sure wish you could get a 3/4 Suburban or Ford still made the Excursion.  I know there are companies making modern day excursions from a factory super duty, but they are cost prohibitive.   

So what do you 250 guys think about the 6.2L v8 gasser instead of the diesel?  Same question for the 150 but 6.2L v8 or 3.5L EB?

Edited by eubanks
4 minutes ago, eubanks said:

So what do you 250 guys think about the 6.2L v8 gasser instead of the diesel?

Already covered in a different thread...  (Click the arrow-----------------------------------V)

Edited by hunter77ah
2 hours ago, eubanks said:

So what do you 250 guys think about the 6.2L v8 gasser instead of the diesel?  Same question for the 150 but 6.2L v8 or 5.3L EB?

I think the 6.2 is dead next year - replaced by a 7.3 gasser.

What 5.3 are you asking about?  A GM?

3 hours ago, eubanks said:

So what do you 250 guys think about the 6.2L v8 gasser instead of the diesel?  Same question for the 150 but 6.2L v8 or 5.3L EB?

It depends. I prefer the diesel(Ram, Dmax) but gassers are fun also.  I will prolly always drive a HD. I have a yukon that we wore out, it is a pooch compared to my ram with 200hp tune.  The yukon is a backup vehicle now, that is waiting on me to put a turbo on it looking for 600hp. 

5 hours ago, eubanks said:

So, I feel like getting a HD gasser is like getting a sports car with an auto tranny.  But, the practical side of me will be looking very seriously at gassers this fall.  Reality is they will tow what I need them to and the increased costs to own and operate a diesel doesn’t make sense for me.  Reality is my little 3.5L Ecoboost has enough power for my loads.  I just want the added beefiness and braking of a HD truck.  

I am not arguing a bit the diesels aren’t completely badass these days.  I am just saying that practically speaking the gassers will do what I need them too.  

Since I got my 3.5L Navigator I need to keep an eye on my speed it pulls so easy. I find myself going well over the speed limit pulling trailers.  I don't use cruse much pulling. Maybe I should.  

It is all about the stopping power. And keeping the trailer from wagging the dog. That is where HD trucks shine. I just did the front brakes on my Ram Diesel and the rotors were about 1.5" thick. Massive. Calipers were huge. Dont know, but I wouldnt be surprised if the HD diesel brakes are beefier than the HD gasser brakes. 

Ok. After a lot of back and forth I’ve decided to go F-150 with the 3.5 EB. I’ve got one more question. 4x4 necessary?  Never on snow here so I guess only use case would be wet ramp. That being said, my wife’s 2011 5.4L Expedition is 4x2 and we’ve never had problems at the ramp.

Ive got options of a leftover 2018 Lariat 4x4 or a 2019 Lariat 4x2 with otherwise the exact same engine and options. Which one is a better deal as both are brand new and same price?

Edited by eubanks