Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F-150 for 2019 23 LSV?

eubanks

Guys - Any thoughts on a 2016-2019 F-150 for towing a 2019 23 LSV?  We’re currently towing our 2005 23 LSV with a 2011 Expedition limited (wife’s car) and then I have an Accord for a daily commuter which is about 45 miles round trip. I’ve been wanting to trade in the sedan anyway for a truck, and it would be nice not to have to switch cars when I take the boat without the wife.

So I know there are many more powerful tow vehicles available but guess I was looking for a jack of all trades and master of none in the 3.5L F-150 to be my daily driver and tow vehicle. We trailer 100% of the time but have a short, flat haul to the lake here in Dallas. Then we will have a few 100-200 mile journeys in relatively flat terrain as well each year. Thoughts on this truck being a good fit for my situation?  Thanks. 

Just don’t level it unless you change suspension, use the rake it comes with and a higher ball mount to get the right tongue weight for boat .  No it’s not ideal , but that is what a truck standard rake is for , loads

150-200 means your not in a hurry , if not in a hurry then not going fast , so no problem stopping the boat with good surge breaks ,

if the tongue weight drops the rear  end to low, it affects surge brake initiation and therefore performance , good trailer brakes with correct tongue weight distribution causes giod braking 

some improve their hitches because their loaded boats violate the hitch specs , but again slow driving short trip, if  basic common sense prevails along with the infrequency of the event means not likely to have a problem with a good ole American or Japanese half ton

Edited by granddaddy55

Our F150 (2012) tows better than our 2015 Expedition.  Power isn’t an issue with either vehicle.  For the situations you describe the F150 will be fine.  But, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t wish for a 3/4 ton every time we go on longer trips, and the 2019 is heavier than my 2016 LSV.  Again, I don’t want for power, but just more mass and braking on the tow vehicle just in case I get into an emergency stopping situation.   And I am sure others will point out, the F150 will technically be overloaded without a WDH, which is likely true for any half ton.  

Overall for what you describe though, I think you will like the F150.  

I had a 2015 GMC and now a 2017 F150.  Towing my 2018 LSV is not an issue and WAY better with the Ford.  Under those conditions ... no problem.  I almost went F250 but for a daily driver (ugh) .. I don't tow enough.  Invest in a rapid hitch for all your towing needs.  Its a one time purchase (hurts a little) but will make it easier in the long run.   6" is all you need unless you are going to lift it.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitches-Adjustable-Rapidly-Pull-Receiver/dp/B06XWNLNPK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546013755&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=rapid+hitch&psc=1

I tow my 9000lb boat with an 18 f150 leveled with 35” tires and air bags in the rear. Air bags was the best thing I’ve done to the truck a long with 10 ply tires. I tow huge curvy mountain passes and couldn’t be happier. I’ve had all the trucks from 1/2 tons to 1 tons and the f150 ecoboost is by far my favourite for an all around truck. 

I've had a 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC for a daily since 2010 (first a gasser and then two diesels); before that I had a Tundra.  As a straight daily (towing considerations aside) the last two diesels are my favorite daily drivers by far; the Tundra third; the 3/4 ton gasser fourth.  The new diesels are a ridiculously enjoyable driving experience if that's what is holding you back.  They will be more expensive to run and maintain that an Accord, however.  

The F-150 is fine. Power is not even a thought. As for braking if your trailer brakes are working well its not an issue. I like electric brakes when we go to very heavy trailers but then our surge brakes today are quite good.

9 hours ago, wheelman said:

I tow my 9000lb boat with an 18 f150 leveled with 35” tires and air bags in the rear. Air bags was the best thing I’ve done to the truck a long with 10 ply tires. I tow huge curvy mountain passes and couldn’t be happier. I’ve had all the trucks from 1/2 tons to 1 tons and the f150 ecoboost is by far my favourite for an all around truck. 

10 ply tires is the best thing you can do for a 1/2 ton truck. Makes me mad to think about how much trucks cost lately and have high towing capacities with the crappiest tires they can put on them. 

I drive a 13 ram diesel with 200hp tune, love it. Tows well. Wife has an 18 dmax. Ltz. The thing drives like a half ton. Unreal. Comfy. My wife sells ins. And bonds to contractors. She has had a few comments about her nice truck. The dmax hasnt towed anything and has only carried a 500lb swingset..happy wife...

15 hours ago, Falko said:

They have cars in TX??

The Effunfiddy would probably do better than your expy.

Hard to believe...born and raised here and never owned a truck. I do have some boots though. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. Wife likes the F-250 so maybe I should take her recommendation!  I’ve never owned diesel so know nothing about one. Just trying to get something that tows ok but isn’t a beating for commuting in terms of ride comfort and gas consumption.  Glad to know the 150 is a decent option. I was worried as tow ratings seems all over the place and think the 2019 23 is pushing 6k+ lbs with trailer and gear, right?

9 hours ago, eubanks said:

Hard to believe...born and raised here and never owned a truck. I do have some boots though. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. Wife likes the F-250 so maybe I should take her recommendation!  I’ve never owned diesel so know nothing about one. Just trying to get something that tows ok but isn’t a beating for commuting in terms of ride comfort and gas consumption.  Glad to know the 150 is a decent option. I was worried as tow ratings seems all over the place and think the 2019 23 is pushing 6k+ lbs with trailer and gear, right?

It is going to be way over 6k.  A vtx on trailer with fuel and stuff is around 6k.  23 should be close to 7k, which is well within the abilities of a 1/2 ton -

even a ford 😁Just make sure the truck has a class 4 hitch on it.  For some reason most f150 still come with a class 3

Edited by oldjeep

and think the 2019 23 is pushing 6k+ lbs with trailer and gear, right?

Someone else had their 2018 23 LSV weighed at a scale in the measured weights thread and day at the lake ready is was like 7,300lbs.

I had a 1/2 truck for years - a 2007 GMC and pulled a 97 sunsetter, 2011 VLX and a 2015 LSV.  I was able to tow just fine but It made me nervous on the long trips to Broken Bow (396mi. round trip) with a 23ft boat, gear and wife + plus 2 young kinds in vehicle.  We started taking two vehicles the last year prior to getting into a 2015 Ford f-250 PSD. 

It was never about power but more about stability, braking and overall mass I event we needed protection.  The 3/4 diesel is night and day difference.  It is also my daily driver which is not terribly practical but I have digested the pro's and con's and ok with the situation.

Not sure if you upgraded to 18" wheels on the trailer but that does make a nice difference in towing.  I'd also look at adding some airlift bag's to the rear of the truck to level it out when you take that long trip.  This is a DIY project and I can help you turn wrenches if needed.   

As far as cost to maintain my F-250.

I change my own oil and filter and spend $96 for Motorcraft 10w30 and a Motorcraft Filter at Walmart.)  I know for fact that Sam Pack Ford in Plano will change oil for $119.  I change every 5000 miles but I have heard of most going to 7500.

I change my own fuel filters every 10,000 miles and spend $60 on the 2 Motorcraft Filters on Amazon.  Local deal is about $180 to get it done.  This is an easy DIY project.  You will spill some diesel fuel and probably have to find a way to dispose of about 1/2 a gallon of it if you DIY.  Many folks will go 15,000 miles on fuel filters.

The DEF Fluid cost is not even worth mentioning...maybe $50 for the year or less. 

So if you drive 15000 miles per year - 3 oil changes and 1.5 fuel filters would DIY cost $350 and at the dealer about $627 using my 5k oil change and 10k fuel filter. 

23 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I had a 2015 GMC and now a 2017 F150.  Towing my 2018 LSV is not an issue and WAY better with the Ford.

That's not really useful info unless you state the drivetrain of each.  A Max Tow 6.2L Sierra is going to tow way better than a 5.3L with the 3.08 gears and 6-speed.  Same as a 3.5L Eco in the Ford will tow way better than the 5.0L motor.

What hitch is on the new Ford's?  That could be an issue if it is a Class III and not a IV or V.

The F150 pulled like a train, was comfortable, and the Ecoboost spooled up like a sports car.  Towed awesome with the class IV and tow package.  Awesome truck that most certainly was on par with the older 3/4 ton trucks I towed with in the 90s. 

There are things I would never have questioned doing with the f150 (towing boat up and over our passes or interstate driving at 75mph) that I won't do with my first gen to which is our tow rig now.  

If you're towing long distances, get the truck that is safest, even if its a little overkill.  You'll go more often because it's not a big deal, and you will get your money's worth that way.

The f150 was overkill for our 4.5k boat load, old Tundra tows it super well.  But, if I was towing 7k+ on long hauls at highway speed, overkill is nice.   Getting a modern 3/4 would be awesome.  

I went to a first gen tundra as we upgraded my wife's car, and I wanted a vehicle I could work on and not worry about scratching up as I leave it at trailheads on backpacking trips...pinstripe it on bushes on trails...etc.  

Edited by Pra4sno
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

There should be no need for bags on any modern 1/2 ton unless you have messed with the stock suspension.

Put my boat on a 1/2 ton and drive at night, you will need a flashlight.

4 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Put my boat on a 1/2 ton and drive at night, you will need a flashlight.

What kind of tongue weight are you running, what kind of truck, is it levelled and are you sure that your hitch height isnt too high?  My ram sits level with 1700-1800 lbs in the bed, factory suspension and rake. No way that any trailer I am rated to pull is going to drag the rear. 

58 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

What kind of tongue weight are you running, what kind of truck, is it levelled and are you sure that your hitch height isnt too high?  My ram sits level with 1700-1800 lbs in the bed, factory suspension and rake. No way that any trailer I am rated to pull is going to drag the rear. 

Dragging the rear or not still hate the way the rear of truck bounces like crazy with out the air bags and they also make it a lot more stable in the turns. I’ve had bags in every 1/2 ton I’ve owned and especially noticed the difference they mad in my ram with coil springs in the rear. 

11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's not really useful info unless you state the drivetrain of each.  A Max Tow 6.2L Sierra is going to tow way better than a 5.3L with the 3.08 gears and 6-speed.  Same as a 3.5L Eco in the Ford will tow way better than the 5.0L motor.

What hitch is on the new Ford's?  That could be an issue if it is a Class III and not a IV or V.

I had a 2012 F150 ecoboost for 98k miles and now have 43k on a 2017 F150 5.0

The 5.0 gets 2-3 mpg better mileage towing than the 3.5 ecoboost, and while the 5.0 is not as quick, it isn’t a big deal.  Stand out n the pedal and the 5.0 makes more noise but gets better mileage. I do spend more time in 4th gear vs 5th when towing. Not really seeing any other difference. Hopefully the 5.0 won’t stretch timing chains like the 3.5 ecoboost. 

Edited by Bozboat
41 minutes ago, eubanks said:

So looking at used F-150’s. What’s the key to ensure it’s right for towing the new 23?  3.5L EB, class 4 hitch?

If you can get a max tow and proper hitch even the 2.7 will get it done very well