Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toasted T23 to 2019 23 LSV

Txstoj

Thanks to those of you who expressed your support after our 2017 T23 was destroyed by a fire in the linked thread.

My wife and I took a trip up to Waterski America the week before Christmas to figure out what boat we wanted next.  Went to look at a 2019 T23, A22 and a 22LSV.   After looking at all three, we think we are going in the direction of a 23 LSV.    Really like the improvements made to the 2019 T23 (new helm seat, PW III, volume knob, battery location and battery switch location) but think we want to upgrade to the Malibu this time.  A22 was too small coming from the T23.   Also, really liked the 22 LSV but given the price difference between the 22 and the 23, seems like the 23 is the better option with having three kids (ages 6, 6 and 3)and want to have room to bring another family with us.   Below is the leading boat builder candidate but open to other suggestions or examples.   Do not want any flake and do not want a white tower.   Planning to keep this boat for 10 years so looking to stay mainstream on colors. Boat will be primarily used for surfing, skiing, tubing for the kids and teaching the kids watersports activities as they get older.   I am planning on ordering a diamond hull and realized it can only do so much on the ski wake but it will work for my skill level.  Was also thinking of going with a less aggressive prop than the 2249 to help with the RPM's at skiing speeds.  We never really go crazy on loading the boat for surfing (thinking 550's in the rears with all other ballast full).  We used the T23 at Grapevine lake but I really cannot stand that lake and it offers zero wind blockage.   However, it was convenient for some weekday day off trips.  We will probably store the boat close to home (southlake/grapevine) but will probably make more trips down to Granbury like we did with our boats prior to the T23.  We used to frequent the power plant beach quite frequently from 2001 to 2009 and plan to do so again.  If anyone could get me access to a ramp better than using the public ramps in town or down by the damn, we could figure out a way to make it worth your while.

Want to get the deal done and ordered in January but really don't need the boat until May because of my work busy season.

This is also going to require us to change tow vehicles.  We were towing the 2017 T23 with our 2015 Lexus GX460 but that was pushing the limits of what it could handle with a 6,500 towing capacity.   We are planning to sell the GX and buy a used ecoboost expedition EL for cash.  I think I can sell the GX for in the low 30's and buy a used expedition with 4wd and tow package for about that.  This is a third car for us that our nanny drives daily to pick up the kids from school and take them to activities.  We use it as our weekend family car for running errands and towing the boat and making a few summer lake trips of a couple hundred miles.  

dark blue_white1.png

Good choice on the 23, you'll love it.

I've had several of them and brought my '19 home from WSA to our home on Lake Granbury last week.

There's a great ramp right off Pearl St (Buss 377) now. It's a few miles down the lake to Sandy Beach but not a bad ride. Good ramp at the dam too if you use that end of the lake. We usually ride in front of the house or between the bridges.

Hit me up if you need help with your order/options. I've helped a bunch of members here with their orders. I'll give you experienced advise on the options. I work the boat shows with WSA so I work with them a lot and know how they work with their customers.

Take @Ronnie up on his offer. He is a great resource to bounce ideas off of for sure. 

We we just placed our order on a 2019 23 LSV. We’ve had one since 2005. You’ll love the extra room in the 23 and enjoy the upgrades in the Malibu. We are mostly at Lavon but should hook up sometime. Sorry about the old boat but you’re going to love the new one. 

Congrats on the new 23!  I am sure you will be happy. 

Since you plan on keeping this boat for a long time, then that is the best reason to get crazy on the colors.  If you wanted to sell in 1 year, get something mainstream.  Is that black and white?  Don't take this wrong, but that design is very bland.  It sounds like standing out is not your style, but I hope someone can find something more attractive without being ostentatious.  

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Good choice on the 23, you'll love it.

I've had several of them and brought my '19 home from WSA to our home on Lake Granbury last week.

There's a great ramp right off Pearl St (Buss 377) now. It's a few miles down the lake to Sandy Beach but not a bad ride. Good ramp at the dam too if you use that end of the lake. We usually ride in front of the house or between the bridges.

Hit me up if you need help with your order/options. I've helped a bunch of members here with their orders. I'll give you experienced advise on the options. I work the boat shows with WSA so I work with them a lot and know how they work with their customers.

@Ronnie highjacking the thread a bit, but would love to bounce my recent order off of you to see what we may be missing.  Spent quite a bit of time looking at all features and options.  Would love any input on what I might consider adding or doing differently.

We arent super concerned with resale value, and would rather get the boat we as a family want and will get the most fun from.  Attached the build sheet.  Only changes are that we deleted the red flake in favor of standard red, added the ski  pylon and the step through pad on the back.

I have about 20 days to make any changes before they start building it, any and all feedback welcome.

BERNARD.pdf

43 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

@Ronnie highjacking the thread a bit, but would love to bounce my recent order off of you to see what we may be missing.  Spent quite a bit of time looking at all features and options.  Would love any input on what I might consider adding or doing differently.

We arent super concerned with resale value, and would rather get the boat we as a family want and will get the most fun from.  Attached the build sheet.  Only changes are that we deleted the red flake in favor of standard red, added the ski  pylon and the step through pad on the back.

I have about 20 days to make any changes before they start building it, any and all feedback welcome.

BERNARD.pdf

Sure. PM me and we can exchange phone #'s.

27 minutes ago, chantel said:

Do you not trailer at all? I'm surprised you didn't get a spare, the transom steps, or the transom straps. Those are all more expensive to add later on and don't add a ton of cost to the build. But if you never use the trailer, probably not necessary.

@Mattyb I’d agree these are essential for the resale aspect alone, since you’re in a region where almost everyone has to trailer. Particularly transom steps in order to be able to climb in the boat when trailered. All could be dealer added later but would cost a lot more then.

If you’re looking for any options to drop to cover the trailer add $, I’d look at the shower, command wheel and swim step ladder as nice to have options that won’t do much for resale.

• Like 2

@chantel and @NWBU

Great points, and exactly why I posted!  Will get the trailer fixed up, we actually don't trailer much at all, but still want it to be the best for resale.  The cost is already high enough, I would rather have the right features, and spend a little more.

I swear I know more about what features are available than our local dealer, and as you all pointed out, I still have some missing pieces.  I wish there was a more reliable dealer around here, but small market means there just isnt a huge demand.

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

@chantel and @NWBU

Great points, and exactly why I posted!  Will get the trailer fixed up, we actually don't trailer much at all, but still want it to be the best for resale.  The cost is already high enough, I would rather have the right features, and spend a little more.

I swear I know more about what features are available than our local dealer, and as you all pointed out, I still have some missing pieces.  I wish there was a more reliable dealer around here, but small market means there just isnt a huge demand.

Cheers.

I didn’t realize there was a BU dealer in Medford and thought you would be working with Active Water Sports, and they know their stuff. That Medford dealer probably only sells a few BU’s a year so I’m not surprised they don’t know much about these boats.

The flush kit another option I’d debate too.

Given how USB charging has evolved...I have USB charging ports in my car that are 1 amp.  My vehicle is a 2015, and 1 amp barely charges, and won't increase the charge if you are actively using the phone.  By the same principle, I think wireless charging is likely to advance in the next couple of years to make today's wireless charging obsolete, so I saved the couple of hundy on mine.  

You guys in DFW should use Ronnie as a resource!  

If you ever want another opinion, I’m happy to help too.  On my 5th boat with WSA and work boat shows as well.  Been a customer since 2001.

In 2015 we looked at going from the 21VLX to the 22VLX. The minute we sat in a 23LSV we were sold.  In our 3rd one now!

We used to boat oun grapevine years ago and stored at silver lake.  

Edited by Murphy8166

On the BERNARD.pdf, I would avoid the Malibu command Wheel. From what I have read on the TMC and other sites, it is a consensus that the command wheel is overkill. There are so many ways to operate your stereo that I would save the nearly 13 hundred and put that money elsewhere. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, bbattiste247 said:

On the BERNARD.pdf, I would avoid the Malibu command Wheel. From what I have read on the TMC and other sites, it is a consensus that the command wheel is overkill. There are so many ways to operate your stereo that I would save the nearly 13 hundred and put that money elsewhere. 

100% agree. It was on the vtx we demo’d early last summer and it was completely useless imo. And it’s an awkward shape in the middle of the wheel, I actually caught/hit my fingers on it while turning the wheel quite a few times.