Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Relays for bilge and circulator pumps

Argonaut

I have read that one should add a relay when adding a circulator pump (and extra bilge too?) to the heater mux switch ... what relay is recommended and where are folks buying these?

also, I saw the MUX programming instructions but the wiring ... to add items do you just splice in the new wire to the existing wire leading to the Big MUX panel? See attached screen shot ? 

A2226FEC-EF46-4081-8120-8D0259059F9E.jpeg

I used these:  relays,  and wired them all up in this box to make it neat when we added extra drain pumps to our PNP ballast.   The box is nice because it also houses individual fuses for the circuits the relays will control-- very similar to the MUX panel.

Now in our case, we were simply adding an extra pump to the existing rear ballast drains, so I spliced into wires running to those pumps to trigger each relay.  The relays are just to offload the additional power demands of the new pumps.  The existing circuit continues to handle the OEM pumps and the tiny additional load of switching the relays.

Thanks Silver! When splicing into wires controlled by the mux switches I read somewhere here they are negative based instead of positive or something similar? Does anyone have a diagram of how to wire something into mux where the positive and neg wires are labeled?

On 12/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, Silver said:

I used these:  relays,  and wired them all up in this box to make it neat when we added extra drain pumps to our PNP ballast.   The box is nice because it also houses individual fuses for the circuits the relays will control-- very similar to the MUX panel.

Now in our case, we were simply adding an extra pump to the existing rear ballast drains, so I spliced into wires running to those pumps to trigger each relay.  The relays are just to offload the additional power demands of the new pumps.  The existing circuit continues to handle the OEM pumps and the tiny additional load of switching the relays.

Getting ready to do similar for fill and drain pumps. Where did u add your extra drain pumps at? Bottom of sacs? Custom bags with extra drain hole? 

• 2 weeks later...

The Sumo sacs had a unused port on the bottom side at the back.  I ran tubing through the floor near the transom and added pumps right next to the hard tank drain pumps.  Both “Y” into the same drain line.   It’s a tight fit and not much fun to work on, but is doable.

Wakemakers had the pumps and all the plumbing parts.