Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Boat Mate tandem Hydraulic Surge Brakes

Terrydhunt

Just bought this 2006, Malibu 23 LSV with the Boat Mate trailer. The wiring harness hadbern temoved from plug. I wired the white, blue, green, yellow, and 2 browns to a 7 way RV plug, mated to a round factory 2002 Tahoe’s hitch plug.  The trailer has surge brakes, and they lock up when trying to back it up.  The blue wire I hooked to the “electric brakes” pin for the Tahoe, but no current. I then tried the blue wire on the plug’s center spot (for back up lights), but still no current to wire when I put Tahoe in reverse. 

Are these trailer brakes wired to be electrically released, or must I use a lock out pin on the tongue to prevent a brake lock out on back8ng?  If electrical, what wire and how attached?

Thanks,

Terry

Edited by Terrydhunt
Corrections

They should release electronically, from the "reverse" wire on the truck wiring side. Might want to check the fuses on your vehicle if you're not getting voltage.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a bypass solenoid on the back of the actuator. When you go into reverse, that solenoid releases all pressure from the brake lines and prohibits anymore pressure to be applied. I believe it should be the blue wire. You can look under the tongue and see that solenoid, I think. Also, those solenoids fail so you might need to replace it.

It should be the blue wire that goes tot he reverse lights. The ground wire (white one) is also critical if either isn't making a good connection, it won't work right.

If the solenoid is getting power, and its not working, it can be replaced. It can be a real pain to replace. I did one this summer that nearly had me running all new brake lines.

Make sure the insulation has not worn off the blue wire underneath where it attaches to the solenoid.  The wire does slide inside of there and if it's touching the underside of the tongue it can wear the insulation down over time and cause it to short out.