Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aluminum SBC Block? BuCrew Member help.

@MadMan:  Yes, yes and done & I have searched for an aluminum case for the trans to no avail so far.  Also, there may be a light crank as another item, the scale will tell.  So far aluminum heads, intake & exhaust manifolds and revised water circ system so 195 # already stripped off the engine to date.  Thanks for the link on the battery and I did consider that but I do use the battery as a spotter and I won it at a Skiers Pier raffle so it was free to boot and unfortunately I need to add a bit of balance weight on the spotter side or get my driver to diet more.

@justgary:  Yes, not actually as an upside down wedge, but more on the CC hydro gate philosophy (simpler and lighter).

@ahopkinsVTX:  anytime the water is liquid :)  The bigger changes to the wake are from the tank moved forward, the carbon fiber platform & rudder panel taking weight off the transom.

I think my mom must have cried:

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

@Woodski sounds great! I’d actually love to help you with the rebuild as I really like that stuff just know little about it. But I also have absolutely zero time haha. I bring that video up many times at work when people are being idiots! :lol: 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
  • 2 weeks later...

@ahopkinsVTX:  Congrats on your Jan1 ski adventures, awesome.  Watching it and seeing those wakes I thought I would link you to a paltry example of a ski wake:

Pretty sure it would not make much of a surf wake:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8JFW5S5aI  and yes the camera mount is home made.

@Steve B.:  Yes, thanks and I am scouring alternate sources.  Almost had one from a sprint car but had a crack that was not repairable.

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

@ahopkinsVTX:  Congrats on your Jan1 ski adventures, awesome.  Watching it and seeing those wakes I thought I would link you to a paltry example of a ski wake:

Pretty sure it would not make much of a surf wake:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8JFW5S5aI  and yes the camera mount is home made.

@Steve B.:  Yes, thanks and I am scouring alternate sources.  Almost had one from a sprint car but had a crack that was not repairable.

Jeez.  That's quite an endurance run!  Good skiing!

Got any pics of your mount?  I need to build (or buy) something for my Response.  I gave my Orbit to a friend.  Really liked that one.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Woodski said:

That wake looks amazing and that’s a heck of a long ski set! I would have rather skied last weekend but then I would have been leaving the four others out lol. 

What lake are you on again?

That ain't no ordinary Echelon!

Am I the only one who, after listening to that first throttle up, just skipped ahead to the parts where it was throttled down and back up again just to hear it?

• Like 2

You guys are hilarious, thanks for the compliments.  Sometimes I add another lap and my ski buds do complain about my endurance...that is a 60 year old body.  Of course the CFO used to enjoy poking me in the tender parts after the seasons first run.

@UWSkier:  I'll have to rummage around, it is pretty simple, PVC pipe with a slot, a cap but the key is a thick Koozie on the inside.  The slot goes over the rope and the camera is mounted on the cap.  I actually got 2 caps for 2 different camera's and did not glue the cap to the tube.

@Michigan boarder:  Correct although you knew that, the CFO tended to enjoy throttling it up, and my neighbor showed no mercy on the arms on get up.  It flows a lot of air.

@ahopkinsVTX @Chaabo:  Thanks, yes it is pretty flat, the CG is actually a foot forward from original and the boat is 375 pounds lighter than delivered and if I find an aluminum block, another 80# gone.  A keen eye on the video might notice the seat back panel is not original, there is actually no fuel tank behind it, tank is where ski locker was and that cavity is now where I stick my ski.  Lake Louise, but not the one in Canada!

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

@Woodski I nice!! I drive by there all the time. My boat is actually not too far away. My friend lives and has a pole barn just west of 15 on glass road, maybe 3/4 of me west of 15. 

Oh, and you are around the corner from Beer World! Oh man that store is awesome. I can spend an hour in there picking out new stuff to try.

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
8 hours ago, Woodski said:

You guys are hilarious, thanks for the compliments.  Sometimes I add another lap and my ski buds do complain about my endurance...that is a 60 year old body.  Of course the CFO used to enjoy poking me in the tender parts after the seasons first run.

@UWSkier:  I'll have to rummage around, it is pretty simple, PVC pipe with a slot, a cap but the key is a thick Koozie on the inside.  The slot goes over the rope and the camera is mounted on the cap.  I actually got 2 caps for 2 different camera's and did not glue the cap to the tube.

@Michigan boarder:  Correct although you knew that, the CFO tended to enjoy throttling it up, and my neighbor showed no mercy on the arms on get up.  It flows a lot of air.

@ahopkinsVTX @Chaabo:  Thanks, yes it is pretty flat, the CG is actually a foot forward from original and the boat is 375 pounds lighter than delivered and if I find an aluminum block, another 80# gone.  A keen eye on the video might notice the seat back panel is not original, there is actually no fuel tank behind it, tank is where ski locker was and that cavity is now where I stick my ski.  Lake Louise, but not the one in Canada!

I was going to comment about that.  As stated previously, the wake on your boat looks delicious!!  Well done on that.  I'd be super interested to know what it's like less another 80#!  

• 8 months later...
40 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

In moving the engine forward, did you just lengthen the shaft ? Or moved strut, etc forward also ?

Steve B. 

I don't think he moved the engine, he just moved the center of mass for the whole boat by removing mass from the rear.

Once the engine ended up on the stand, it was way too easy to go down the rabbit hole.  The 383 part was on my mind from the start, the rod / piston combo & aluminum flywheel were a midstream addition as I was researching replacement parts.

Exactly, and no rules makes to slow me down either...

Pitch change was due to lighter engine being behind the CG of the boat not actually moving it.  You could do that 2 ways, either a spacer between the trans and engine or a longer shaft, either would not really be that difficult.  The CG on this boat was already forward as I moved a lot of weight from transom to ahead of the pylon and simply removed a lot of the weight at the transom.  Total mass reduction so far is 475 lbs.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

Ha, I will have to get some pics but running it takes priority:-)  Did not get to dyno although it is right at 500 hp per all the estimates and computer sim., so the lake will be the ultimate dyno.  Probably will have to re-prop (again).  Its also really well balanced through the course and the narrow, flat wake is nice.

• Like 4

Carb is the Weber 750 cfm, and with several performance mods.  It needed about 12% more fuel flow for the added displacement and I still have a couple of tweaks to go on it, the cylinder heads have big valves so they flow a lot of air (when needed).

Ignition is the Thundervolt IV, it is simple and bulletproof and Merc has a variety of ignition curves that are simply plug and play.  Compression ratio is 9.8:1 so it does not really tax the ignition system very much and I can run regular fuel.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Man, I'd love to give my Response that treatment.  Carbon fiber platform, motor box, and moved gas tank alone would be huge weight loss.

Find some old Fiberglass Hydrodyne bucket seats.  Real skiers don't need foam and vinyl.