Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

19" LSV 23 Plug n Play

Mattyb

Hey All,

Sorry for if this is a repeat, the site search function doesnt seem to like me right now.   I have new 23 LSV on order, plumbed for plug and play.  I have a credit at Wakemakers.com and would like to use it up to get the added bags there.  They are recommending this item:

https://www.wakemakers.com/malibu-rear-factory-ballast-upgrade.html

I asked them if this was comparable with the ballast monitoring system on Malibu and they arent sure.  I want to make sure I am getting the right bags to go with the new boat and system.  Thanks in advance!

ahopkins22LSV

That link is taking me just to a general page for malibu plug n play bags. Those are the bags you want and unless I’m mistaken most with a 23 LSV are having good success with 550’s. The hard tanks are bigger in the 2018+ 23’s as the tank comes up the side of the boat to be able to monitor tank and plug n play fill levels. 

Edit: I see the options are 475 and 580 for a 2018 23 LSV. I’d probably go 580 as you can always just not fill them all the way. But others may have first hand experience with these bags. 

Those are the typical WM PNP bags that Active Water Sports uses, which I think is your dealer too.(?)

The bags will fill simultaneously with the hard tanks but won't fill completely with the preset settings since the ballast monitoring system's sensors are driven by the hard tanks. The PNP bags can be a variety of sizes, so the system won't know when those are full. Rather than hitting presets, which will shut off when the hard tanks are full, you can just hit Fill All until the rear overflows start spilling, or eyeball the bags if not filling completely full.

I ran 475s last year and others ran 580s, with the majority using the 580's. The tradeoff with either size will be in how much wedge you can use and what bow weight you may need to add to keep the boat balanced/bow down. This year I'm planning to run 580s with less wedge, but I'm expecting to need to add bow/walkway weight whenever I fill the 580s and use more wedge.

Thanks, will be going with 580's would always rather have a bit more bag and fill it partway rather than wish I had more later.  I have quite a bit of lead from ballasting out the last boat and can use it to add to the bow if needed down the road.  Looking forward to experimenting with the new boat and weight.  One of the ideas that I love on the new boats is the rider presets, but I am learning that they arent necessarily going to work well in different conditions, different amounts of riders, etc.  Will be an adventure for sure!

Good plan and figuring out your setup is half the fun. PW3 changes the mix a bit too and you can run more clicks of wedge compared to what you've read about for PW2. 

My experience with the 475s all the way full and 3 clicks of PW2 (at 10.8-11.0) was that it would either need some bow weight, less wedge, or dumping a bit of PNP. Otherwise the wave would get too much spill over the surfgate due to the bow angle and wouldn't clean up. I spent most of the summer slightly listed by dumping the non-surf side to 50-75%, which was a good tradeoff in keeping the boat balanced and helping out the regular wave. Other guys would run level but with both 475s at 75%. 

I'm sure you know this since you already have extra ballast but it's all about balancing the boat, which is going to change based on crew size/placement, wedge, PNP, etc. This comes up here too sometimes but right now there's guys over on the FB group telling people this boat needs the 450 at sea level or very low elevations just to get to speed. In reality that just means their bow is pointed to the sky...

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2018 at 8:44 PM, NWBU said:

Those are the typical WM PNP bags that Active Water Sports uses, which I think is your dealer too.(?)

The bags will fill simultaneously with the hard tanks but won't fill completely with the preset settings since the ballast monitoring system's sensors are driven by the hard tanks. The PNP bags can be a variety of sizes, so the system won't know when those are full. Rather than hitting presets, which will shut off when the hard tanks are full, you can just hit Fill All until the rear overflows start spilling, or eyeball the bags if not filling completely full.

I ran 475s last year and others ran 580s, with the majority using the 580's. The tradeoff with either size will be in how much wedge you can use and what bow weight you may need to add to keep the boat balanced/bow down. This year I'm planning to run 580s with less wedge, but I'm expecting to need to add bow/walkway weight whenever I fill the 580s and use more wedge.

I might need to double check but the new system on the '19's monitors PNP as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, rsutton1223 said:

I might need to double check but the new system on the '19's monitors PNP as well.

That's my understanding but not sure what size PNP bags come from the factory.  Do you guys know?