Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 25 LSV owners in the PNW - Evolution needs a pattern!

TallRedRider

I am looking to get an Evolution boat cover for my 2019 25 LSV.  Cory does not have a pattern for that boat.  He currently has a couple of other owners who are on the list, but if he does not find a boat to pattern with, he won't be able to make it.  I told him I would reach out and see if there is anyone in the area who might be able to allow him to measure their boat.  He says he could possibly throw in a discount on a cover or free swimstep cover for your trouble.  I believe that he told me his closest dealer was in Vancouver, and that they may not have any 25 LSV boats in for quite a while.  

If he gets enough orders to make it worth his while, he could also drive down to Portland, to measure a boat at the dealership there, but it is a long drive for him.   I decided to forego the factory cover as I have never heard anything but the greatest reviews about the Evolution cover.  It is breatheable, trailerable, and easy to remove and put on.  I learned more about covers in 20 minutes on the phone with him than I ever thought possible.  It is clear he is passionate about both high quality service to the customer and producing the best possible cover.   They are custom fitted so that there are not a bunch of extra straps, poles or anything hanging from the tower.  He is backed up quite a bit, even into early summer already, so put your order in now if you need a top quality cover.  

If we are unable to get him connected with a 25 LSV, then I will need a recommendation on the next best alternative.  Stock Malibu cover?  

http://evolutioncovers.com/

Edited by TallRedRider
  • 2 weeks later...
ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Chappy said:

Don't have 19' LSV but do have a 19' 24 MXZ and I have been very happy with the stock Malibu cover from CS.

I do agree with this. Mine fits awesome. I don’t even have to use poles granted my VTX is 4&5’ shorter than your boats so not sure if that would work on the longer boats. The way it goes around the tower is also very nice now. Plus, they added a very nice hangtyte access hatch and locking mechanism at the back of the cover so you can always reach the cord to tighten and lock it down. Works really good. I get zero pooling on the cover even in heavy rain. You get a factory platform cover now too. I’ve been very happy with that too.

I’ve not towed with it just because I haven’t had to yet and I’d be nervous about the black I have above the rub rail, but I’ve heard of reports that people are. Honestly not sure of their results though. Evolution may be the best bet still as their towing results seem to be proven and Cory is definitely one of the best to work with. 

6365E5C6-67DD-4689-8635-C29EB1D1CE9A.thumb.jpeg.6a1dcba5bd098a11c5da3636ae00ba11.jpeg

5F74CD9F-CA15-4237-BCF1-28EE3C5F25D5.thumb.jpeg.fc00293667b5e414f6cee2c60cd068fc.jpeg

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
On 12/20/2018 at 8:44 PM, Pnwrider said:

Have him check with Seattle boats (local Malibu dealer here). They are only 20 minutes from him. 

They have some sort of disagreement and Cory refuses to go there.  

I suspect he will make it down to PDX to get some measurements.  

I am vacillating between waiting for the Evolution, or just getting the CS cover now.  Then when I asked my salesman about it, he said that they don't recommend traveling with the cover on, due to the potential for scuffing the gelcoat.  Given Murphy's law, I am sure it will be raining when I take delivery and have to drive 2 hours with the boat, so having a cover now might be nice.  But that goes out the window if I can't travel with it. 

My Nautique factory cover was suitable for towing...:Tease3:

9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I am vacillating between waiting for the Evolution, or just getting the CS cover now.  Then when I asked my salesman about it, he said that they don't recommend traveling with the cover on, due to the potential for scuffing the gelcoat.  Given Murphy's law, I am sure it will be raining when I take delivery and have to drive 2 hours with the boat, so having a cover now might be nice.  But that goes out the window if I can't travel with it. 

There’s a couple 25’s unwrapped in PDX right now, so hopefully he’ll make it down this way. I wonder if he could give someone very specific places to measure and save himself the trip?

The local AWS guys here would tell you the same thing on towing, and they always wrap the rubrail with packing cling wrap before sending a BU/Axis out with the CS cover on. 

23 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I am typically a no cover tower but in bad weather I have towed with my CS cover with no issues!

• Like 1

I think that it may be a bit extra cautious to say not to tow with the CS cover.  Their website brags about their Vacu-Hold system  "allowing the cover to conform to the shape of the boat during trailering".    It seems to me they plan on the cover being used for towing.  

http://commercialsewing.com/mooring-covers/

The stock cover fits really good, but it seems like a bunch of air could get under all the extra at the nose.

1st pic is the stock cover and 2nd pic is my Evolution cover on my 23 LSV

20181205_131644.jpg

20181205_142706.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same concerns towing with CS on a 22VLX. Went down to the restaurant supply and purchased a roll of 18” wide wrap, I think it was 5,000’ roll. It is wide enough to go over gunnel and sides. I roll 4 layers and have no problems. I use a 1/2” wood dowel and spin off enough for the trip home. I add a micro fiber towel around the ratchet for extra cushion.

• Like 1

Unless the weather is bad or I feel like I need to carry a bunch of packing peanuts in the cabin of the boat, I would just go without the cover if it meant having to saran wrap the boat every time.   

I do make 2.5 hour trips to Lake Powell a couple of times a year and inevitably, I run out of space and need some lighter items to be placed in the cabin.  I like having a towable cover to not have to worry about that stuff.  I suppose for those trips, I could saran wrap the rubrail.  @jwl019, what did you do with the extra cover?  Since I got a money tree in the backyard, I might end up with both covers eventually.  

4 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I like having a towable cover to not have to worry about that stuff.  I suppose for those trips, I could saran wrap the rubrail.  @jwl019, what did you do with the extra cover?  Since I got a money tree in the backyard, I might end up with both covers eventually.  

I have both covers still. I use the stock for storage and keep the Evolution in a storage bin where it stays clean until I need it for towing. 

I was already inline to have one made for my '10 VLX.  By the time Cory called me to tell me he was about to start working on it, I told him to change it to the '18 LSV that I bought 2 weeks prior and traded in the VLX.