Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Boat has fire damage

PrimeData

Pretty awesome that they took a pic of water flowing out of the drain plug!  I would be pretty sure, that in addition to the fire damage, the boat was half full of the water that it took to put the building fire out.  

That is painful to see, but I am pretty sure that would be next to impossible to restore to new condition.  

Someone already harvested the stereo amps.  

1 minute ago, TallRedRider said:

the boat was half full of the water

Look at the water line 3" up the amp wall/ Water was there long enough to create that stain. Means trans and v-dive where under. 

I would say NFW I would buy it. If they gave it away, you would prolly have to spend 30k-50k(??), if it could even be done. Looks like the gunwales are burnt. Then you could never sell it.        (who would buy it) Maybe part it out.

Edited by carguy79ta

Flood and fire vehicles are the worst. As others have said, there is a lot of work there, A LOT.  Maybe if you had another MXZ that fell off a trailer and you had the upper portion to drop in that hull?? I don't even know if that's possible with those boats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Malibu-24MXZ-Wake-Seter-410-555HP-burned-damaged-clean-title-Low-Reserve-15/302978769289?hash=item468af12189:g:JZYAAOSweX5cAZTq:rk:1:pf:0

I was thinking "not that bad" until i got to the pictures where all the carnage is. It would take someone very skilled to do something with that.

Edited by Brantb
5 minutes ago, Brantb said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Malibu-24MXZ-Wake-Seter-410-555HP-burned-damaged-clean-title-Low-Reserve-15/302978769289?hash=item468af12189:g:JZYAAOSweX5cAZTq:rk:1:pf:0

I was thinking "not that bad" until i got to the pictures where all the carnage is. It would take someone very skilled to do something with that.

That price is a complete joke.  I dont think you could restore it to "normal" for the price diff btw purchase price and what it would be worth under normal circumstances. 

• Like 1

Thinking the same thing. If it was 10-15k, at least you would get the option to see it all in person, strip it down and know what you are working with. If it didnt work out, you still would have the option to part it out.

Looking at those pictures made me shudder.    I would think ANY chance at restoring that to even operable condition would require some hard core boat restoration experience.   Looks like it is already sitting at a salvage yard, probably where it belongs to part it out.  I sure hope the owner had replacement insurance... As well as anyone affected by the California fires...

4 hours ago, JeffK said:

Where do you think it started?  Behind the helm or throttle control? 

I am pretty sure the fire started in the building that housed it.  That is why it burned the rear half, and only from the top down, essentially.  

The trailer is a Taylor's boats trailer...which is the Salt Lake City, Utah dealer.  

Just guessing that embers came down on the cover then burned up the interior etc. Tough to look at. Poor thing.

I would think some drive train parts are ok. Engine probably ok, but would need going thru.  Hard to tell if trailer was either burned or heated beyond usage.

Steve B.

10 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Just guessing that embers came down on the cover then burned up the interior etc. Tough to look at. Poor thing.

I would think some drive train parts are ok. Engine probably ok, but would need going thru.  Hard to tell if trailer was either burned or heated beyond usage.

Steve B.

Might have came out of Paradise or Chico

It would make an awesome bar in someones mancave! Keep the outer shell and look, change the interior to either a bar or reupholstered into a wraparound couch next to a projector screen!

Oh the ideas....

I'm (almost) local. Depending on what happens with it over the next few days I might try to go see it in person. If they start parting it out due to lack of interest there might be something interesting or useful in there. 

• 2 weeks later...

The day after the fire, I drove by the boat shop in Paradise where I had my Malibu serviced earlier this year.  It looked like almost every boat in their yard had damage and many were clearly a total loss.  It looked devastating.  Part of the problem was that the entire area was under evacuation orders for a long time and it had also rained before people were allowed in to check on things.