Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who went Digital Media Center only (Deckless)?

hawaiianstyln

I would like to know who all has gone stereo delete and transitioned to a Digital Media Receiver only?  I need to go with the exile one since they have been sponsoring me for nearly 10 years now.  However, I know with exile's Media Center commander won't allow a wired remote hookup and I have the JBL remote on the transom from the blackbox setup.  Trying to find another media center that would possibly allow a wired (or wireless) remote to mount on the transom.  Pros/Cons on a media center (deckles)?  I really want to get rid of the black box spaghetti mess of wires and honestly mine is 10 years old at this point.  Most of the media centers has built in Bluetooth up to 100' as well.  All we use is BT from our phones so it would work great for us.  I understand that I would need to remove the receiver that is mounted on the starboard side of the bow walk through, but I can always fabricate some ABS plastic and make a little glove box for sunglasses or phones.

example:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020GR10BT/Clarion-GR10BT.html

12-14-2018 10-14-10 PM.jpg

• Like 1

With tape decks and CD gone from most "decks", most everything these days can be considered a media center. 

Cons? no tape or CD. Pros? Even the compact heads, like pictured, include all the basics: Tuner, USB, BT, AUX-in, etc. 

In addition to the clarion compact head, the Kicker KMC2 supports the KRC15 wired display remote. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MLA said:

In addition to the clarion compact head, the Kicker KMC2 supports the KRC15 wired display remote. 

I did not know that!  I was going to research that today to find which one supports additional inline remotes.  Thanks for that info!!

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Have you looked at Wetsounds products?

Their WS-MC-1 will even control your RGB LEDs

I would love to, but sponsored by Exile.  That would be a fun conversation with Brian at Exile "why are you running competitors products when we have been sponsoring you for 10 years".  HAHAHAHAAA

3 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I would love to, but sponsored by Exile.  That would be a fun conversation with Brian at Exile "why are you running competitors products when we have been sponsoring you for 10 years".  HAHAHAHAAA

LOL I see you were looking at other options than Exile so this was another option. 

1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

What are you considering Clarion Product when you have been sponsored for 10 years by Exile???  

Exile and wetsounds seems to have some transparent hate between each other.  Exile understands they never got into decks or recievers so ppl will have their own vairety of brands.  They dont care.  But specifically picking wetsounds when i can go with common brands like clarion or kicker seems like a more reaonable choice since there maybe some transparent hate between the two.  I think i will stay away from any of exile’s competitor products if i can.  

Remember, being sponsored is not about getting free gear, its about what you can do for them.  And im not trying to poke the bear.  I have choices here, so i will stay away from WS because i have that choice

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

My issue with most of the deckless setups is a reasonable transom remote option.

Thats why im not going with Exile’s version, cant have an additional remote.  The Clarion and Kicker has the option for the 2nd inline wired remote on transom

5 minutes ago, roonedoggie said:

Well is you go Apple, you can control from you Apple Watch.... See you get the best of both worlds.

When you go Android, you can do that from a number of devices.  Except source unit volume control for any of those options.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

What are the "unreasonable" transom remote option? 

Ones that aren't available are pretty unreasonable.

according to amazon Boss sells the most and has the best reviews over the others.  Don't know much about Boss products, anyone else?  I also haven't done my research yet to see if it will accept a wired inline remote for transom (3rd world problems here)

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-MGR350B-Bluetooth-Weather-Proof/dp/B00VV6Y7O2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545275197&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords="marine+gauge+radio"

On 12/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, roonedoggie said:

Well is you go Apple, you can control from you Apple Watch.... See you get the best of both worlds.

Only the tracts and phone volume , not source volume , android watch won’t do that either , both are now ip68 , Android Samsung was first with dirt and water proof versus resistant ip57, but wife changes tracks while she’s surfing with Apple Watch 

wetsounds and others would have to put out an app linked by WiFi to phones and source units to make source volume possible , but WiFi or bluebtooth out Connection should not be that hard for them , then who needs a transom remote, I would even get an Apple Watch if that were possible 

Edited by granddaddy55

The only experience I have with Boss audio is my friend has a sound bar on his rzr and compared to the other sound bars (WS , powerbass xl1200, JL, )in the group, it doesn’t measure up. It looks great and customer service has been spot on for him. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I went deckless in my RLXI with the Exile product.  It works flawlessly and I love it.  The lack of the transom remote bothers me none.  I went with a full Exile build with the assistance of @IXFE and it rocks!!

I've been thinking of an upgrade in the Echelon, what components did you get?  Approx cost?

3 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

I went deckless in my RLXI with the Exile product.  It works flawlessly and I love it.  The lack of the transom remote bothers me none.  I went with a full Exile build with the assistance of @IXFE and it rocks!!

I would go exile but i already have a JBL remote back there which will now have holes if i remove it.  I wished exiles version was remote capable but i texted Brian at Exile and he said it doesnt support a remote.  I have an email into support at Clarion to ask them what marine remotes go with what marine decks and guages.  I will post in her once i get details

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

One more thing to keep me asking "why do I need two speedos?"

You mean maybe get rid of your RPM gauage maybe?

If anyone is considering the Exile version, look up the JL version as well - which is the same unit.  I'm sure that upsets the Exile haters who are typically JL lovers. :)  I've found the JL units tend to be found a few bucks cheaper online.

• Like 1