Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shopping for a Wake Foil

Chia

There are a lot of options and a wide variety of prices. 

the phase 5 gizmo is $2,100+ while the slingshot is $1,600 and foil setups without a board are $900.

so what to do.

a sales guy told me the phase 5 gizmo is worth more, the same way a more expensive air chair is better than a less expensive air chair...is that right?

Is a less expensive board the same as an expensive board?

what about bolting a package onto an existing board?

Are they weight rated like a surf board?

thanks

Generally one size fits all. The more expensive carbon foils will have much more speed which can be helpful but it also makes things much harder. I’d buy one of the cheaper ones from wakemakers or watch for a used one. 

I think a great option would be the Slingshot style, ironically the Foil between the Phase 5 and Slingshot is both created by Ride Engine.  The other big benefit to the Slingshot is you can take the foil off and there is fin slots in the bottom of the board to actually use it to surf too! (For some reason the $2,000 model from Phase 5 doesn't have that capability). I was really impressed with it when I rode it and can definitely say its one of the best price efficient models for getting out there and learn (comes with a 15" "taxi" size mast).