Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wind Prediction App

AKjoe

I came across the Windfinder app today on my iPhone and have been impressed with its quality.  I am looking forward to using it to avoid going out to slalom and finding white caps.

I am sure there are other apps (?), but I thought I would share in case anyone is looking for the same thing.  

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  I have been using wunderground.com, but the forecast page loads very slowly and you have to find a reporting station that accurately predicts the wind in your area of interest. 

1 hour ago, AKjoe said:

I came across the Windfinder app today on my iPhone and have been impressed with its quality.  I am looking forward to using it to avoid going out to slalom and finding white caps.

I am sure there are other apps (?), but I thought I would share in case anyone is looking for the same thing.  

Thanks for the suggestion here.  I just downloaded.  Looks like a great app, looking forward to testing it out. 

I use it to find wind for kiteboarding!  This sounds kind of dumb, but if you can check out your observation station before relying on the app, you will have better results.  The observation station that we rely on has the wind sensor mounted near a wall (brilliant, right?) which will sometimes throw off the readings depending on wind speed and direction.

I've been using ikite.  What I like about it is it shows you all the wind stations in the area you're looking at so you can get multiple readings in a several mile radius.  It's been pretty accurate except for a few times.

I use wind alert. Totally agree that it takes some trial and error to understand the relationship between the forecast and actual conditions, especially on marginal days. It’s great for showing when it’s going to be very windy and great for showing when it’s not going to be windy at all but when wind is in the 5-8 mph range you need to know what that means for your lake(s). For us that can mean completely blown out or glass... mostly depending on wind direction. 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I use wind alert. Totally agree that it takes some trial and error to understand the relationship between the forecast and actual conditions, especially on marginal days. It’s great for showing when it’s going to be very windy and great for showing when it’s not going to be windy at all but when wind is in the 5-8 mph range you need to know what that means for your lake(s). For us that can mean completely blown out or glass... mostly depending on wind direction. 

Interesting.  It’s probably overkill, but next season I might use the app and jot down some observations about wave size and location based on wind speed and direction.  Too many variables for my mind  to simply memorize.

FishWeather 

easy to read and interpret map color coding for different mph’s ranges, easy toggle between forecast in 3 hour increments choices or actuals from observation stations with a numeral snd an arrow  for direction , so real easy to check current actuals versus forecast , both on the same map with an easy menu toggle back and forth , been fishing and boating for more than 10 years with it

Edited by granddaddy55
11 hours ago, mayfike said:

Have gotten hooked on an app/website called "windy"  or windy.com

Has a ton of features, hour by hour graphical wind speed-direction charts and a ton of other features.  

Same graphics as fish weather