Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Worth changing '18 tower speakers out?

jwl019

Getting bored already this winter with no planned project so debating on if it would be worthwhile swapping out the tower speakers and amp over winter.

I have the stock wetsounds amp pushing the 2 sets of Icon 8's currently.

On hand, I have a lightly used Exile XM30.2 and one set of Exile Surf 9's along with the double G3 tower mounts. Might could sell the stock stuff to buy the 2nd pair of speakers if worthwhile.

Other than having the ability to tune the XM30.2 amp a little better, would I really gain anything by swapping out everything-speakers and amp?

Is there a market for the new stock amps /Icon 8's?

I was actually surprised in how well the stock system sounded and does about all I need, so not really having to swap it out due to sounding horrible like my stock Tundra did when I first bought it.

20181205_142706.jpg

20181205_142821.jpg

As you stated, trading two pair of WS surfs for two pair of Exile surfs, both powered by ONE amp sounds like no significant improvement. The only advantage is you will have more adjustability with the xm30.2 allowing you to turn up the gains, fine tune crossover, etc. Also you’d get rid of those hideous shelves, in favor of the low profile Exile mounts.

With one xm30.2 you will get 210 watts each @ 2 ohms. Not terrible, but...

I have run Surf 9’s on my last thee boats, but I have always run them off TWO xm30.2’s. In this configuration I get 300 watts each @ 4 ohms.  The clarity and midbass is insane!

Last year I did them with LED lights wired to the factory tower light controls. 

My point is this... you have a nice setup now, but if you’re itching for this project, make it count. Ditch the “retail” setup and go all in. 

AEA41E4E-294F-41DE-9030-4812678D4CBE.png

104E92F4-4287-486C-9748-D5C3B174E0F6.jpeg

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Also you’d get rid of those hideous shelves, in favor of the low profile Exile mounts.

Those shelves are the main reason I was thinking about doing the project. The Exile mounts look so much better, plus I can pull the speakers down while towing.

I will go back and look thru your thread, l remember reading thru the parts about installing LED's thinking that is something I would never attempt since we don't ride at night to enjoy it and the wiring might be above my capabilities. It does make the boats look nice in all the pics I see of them though and would be fun to try.

2 hours ago, jwl019 said:

I was actually surprised in how well the stock system sounded and does about all I need, so not really having to swap it out due to sounding horrible like my stock Tundra did when I first bought it.

Isn't there a Wetsounds dual speaker mount that would work if you're not concerned with the factory speakers/amps performance? This would keep all your speaker grills matching.

or,

Buy Exile speaker brackets, amp harness adapter, and another set of Exile speakers. Plus add an amp per IXFE.

(Unless you just need a project :) )

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Isn't there a Wetsounds dual speaker mount that would work if you're not concerned with the factory speakers/amps performance? This would keep all your speaker grills matching.

or,

Buy Exile speaker brackets, amp harness adapter, and another set of Exile speakers. Plus add an amp per IXFE.

(Unless you just need a project :) )

I think Wetsounds does make a dual tower mount (just looked it up), not sure if the factory speakers bolt straight to it or if I would need different mounts for the speakers to attach to the bracket.  That would be an option and easy solution if all I need would be just the dual tower mount.

Thanks for the suggestions from both of ya'll too. Both were things I had not thought about and why I asked.

12 hours ago, jwl019 said:

and one set of Exile Surf 9's

Major step back in output going from 2 pair of 8" coaxial to 1 pair of 8" coaxial. Both are 8" mid-bass drivers with 1" dome tweeters. If you want the ability to tune an amp, swap amps.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Major step back in output going from 2 pair of 8" coaxial to 1 pair of 8" coaxial.  

14 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Might could sell the stock stuff to buy the 2nd pair of speakers if worthwhile.

OP is considering a 2nd pair of Surf 9’s.

personaly I prefer the Surf 9’s over the stock Icon 8’s , and all factory sets ups as they are generally underpowered from the gate.

@jwl019 I feel like the time/cost -benefits might not be in your favor here. 

There is a market for used OEM WS gear but you are prob looking at 50-60c on the $1. 

I agree with @IXFE on adding a 2nd amp to run the 300 to each at 4ohm.

if it’s a $$ thing , pick up a blemish 30.2 $399, and a demo set of surf 9’s $699. 

Edited by Stevo
32 minutes ago, Stevo said:

OP is considering a 2nd pair of Surf 9’s.

personaly I prefer the Surf 9’s over the stock Icon 8’s , and all factory sets ups as they are generally underpowered from the gate.

@jwl019 I feel like the time/cost -benefits might not be in your favor here. 

There is a market for used OEM WS gear but you are prob looking at 50-60c on the $1. 

I agree with @IXFE on adding a 2nd amp to run the 300 to each at 4ohm.

if it’s a $$ thing , pick up a blemish 30.2 $399, and a demo set of surf 9’s $699. 

Plus $350 for brackets and adapters. 

15 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Might could sell the stock stuff to buy the 2nd pair of speakers if worthwhile.

@Stevo Here's his actual post. At that point, he's back to where he is now output potential and mid-bass extension. I think it would be a more efficient route to stick with the existing two pair of 8" coaixials, and just upgrade the amp. If he wants to drive them with 300W rms, there are a couple of single 2 chnls that will do this, so no need to install a pair of amps, just for the tower speakers. One amp would take up less space, no extra power cabling/circuit protection, and no splitting RCA cables. 

28 minutes ago, MLA said:

One amp would take up less space, no extra power cabling/circuit protection, and no splitting RCA cables. 

That was one thought that crossed my mind about what might be needed to add the extra amp if I went that route.  I haven't really looked at the stock wiring yet, but might need different distribution blocks and possibly bigger positive and negative main wires from the battery.

15 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Exile dual bracket adapter is $250

Already have this bracket.

Before I traded in my 2010 VLX, I swapped out all the Exile stuff I installed at the end of last summer back to the old style shelfs and original Pro80's that came on the boat.

Having the majority of the stuff on hand is what had me thinking it might be a beneficial upgrade if all that was needed was the 2nd set of Surf 9's and the $100 wire harness.

I see what ya'll are saying though that in order to really see any significant increase, it is going to require more power no matter what, whether using 1 amp or 2 to give the speakers more output.

41 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

That was one thought that crossed my mind about what might be needed to add the extra amp if I went that route.  I haven't really looked at the stock wiring yet, but might need different distribution blocks and possibly bigger positive and negative main wires from the battery.

I believe the OEM cabling is a trunk line through a 2-out distribution block. So one would need to run a dedicated set of power cables to a 2rd amp, or re-build the OEM setup to accommodate a 3rd amp branch line. A single 2 chnl that would deliver the same wattage, is only slightly longer then existing factory tower amp, so the swap would be nearly plug-n-play. Only have to deal with converting the factory plugs to RCA. But no splitting with single amp. Splitting divides the signal strength. This means a higher gain setting in order to acheive the same amp output compared to an amp that receiving an undivided signal. Lower gains means less chance of noise creeping in and the amp runs more conservative. 

33 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

it is going to require more power no matter what, whether using 1 amp or 2 to give the speakers more output.

No doubt that the factory 8" coaxial will handle more wattage then the current factory amp tune. This will make a noticeable difference volume and dynamic range.   

Or he could just change out the factory distribution block to a 1-to-3, thus eliminating the need for a second trunk...

I can see that my suggestion about powering his proposed Exile configuration has caused some of y’all to point this out as a negative, as if it’s required. I only suggested that because I like it personally and I gathered from the OP he was looking for a project as much as anything... I read between the lines that it’s not a sound or a money thing so let’s have some fun!

If simplicity and easy swap for minimal $ are the parameters... As I said earlier, there’s nothing wrong with running four surf 9’s on one Xm30.2.  This is the most common configuration. Simple plug and play using an adapter. Sounds great, no speaker shelves, quick disconnect cans, and after selling off this factory WS gear he will be money ahead. 

Don't take it that I'm pushing him to one brand over another, just pointing out the cost differences. I missed his already having the brackets. Sounds like it's pretty much a wash which ever way he goes.

@Ronnie, just noticed what you meant by the grills matching the interior speakers on the Wetsounds.  Since my Exile's have the chrome grill inserts instead of black like @IXFE had in his write-up, they definitely wouldn't look very good on my boat.  

Just now, jwl019 said:

@Ronnie, just noticed what you meant by the grills matching the interior speakers on the Wetsounds.  Since my Exile's have the chrome grill inserts instead of black like @IXFE had in his write-up, they definitely wouldn't look very good on my boat.  

Grills are easily painted. That’s all I did. 

3 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Grills are easily painted. That’s all I did. 

I was wondering. I saw where their smaller speakers had the option of black grills and figured the towers had that option and I just missed it.

I've been reading up on the thread on how to install LEDs in the Exile speakers, you definitely did right by having Exile install them.  This looks like it could keep me occupied for a while if I go that route:

14 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

I was wondering. I saw where their smaller speakers had the option of black grills and figured the towers had that option and I just missed it.

I've been reading up on the thread on how to install LEDs in the Exile speakers, you definitely did right by having Exile install them.  This looks like it could keep me occupied for a while if I go that route:

If you want to go down the LED path, the easiest solution would be to have Exile install them.  That’s how mine were done. While you’re at it, have them paint the grills too!  

Another option would be sell everything and replace with one pair of Rev10’s with LED rings.