Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What’s in your toolbox?

I have a few tools in the boat, but looking to build out a more comprehensive toolbox.  Id like to be able to take care of most on water issues that come up. What tools and supplies do you recommend? Help me build my tool box.  

Edited by SCMike

Ive got a small cheap socket/bit kit in a plastic box that holds it all in place.  Prop puller, adjustable wrench, needlenose in the prop bag. A multitool with knife on it.   That takes care of anything I can fix on the water. 

Edited by oldjeep
31 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ive got a small cheap socket/bit kit in a plastic box that holds it all in place.  Prop puller, adjustable wrench, needlenose in the prop bag. A multitool with knife on it.   That takes care of anything I can fix on the water. 

Ditto, (except puller) plus a couple extra hose clamps.  But I cannot imagine changing a prop on the water.  So I carry a  cellphone and a tow rope.  :)

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

This might seem like a stupid question, but I’ll ask it anyways since I don’t know.  Does Malibu use standard or metric nuts, bolts, Allen’s, etc? I have only needed to use a screwdriver on my boat so far, so I have no idea. 

37 minutes ago, SCMike said:

This might seem like a stupid question, but I’ll ask it anyways since I don’t know.  Does Malibu use standard or metric nuts, bolts, Allen’s, etc? I have only needed to use a screwdriver on my boat so far, so I have no idea. 

Standard

53 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Not a stupid question at all

It is a mix, just like any gm engine. The bolts on the boat itself are mostly standard.  Unless you are carrying spare parts, there is a pretty limited set of tools you need. 

Edited by oldjeep

So I keep a small Craftsmen tool kit sockets and all needed to use them. A set of wrenches some pliers std and neddle nose wire cutter all the screw drivers Electric tape tie wraps some bailing wire a simple continuity checker. and some other small odds and ends. All but the socket wrench kit fit into a plastic ammo can.   

Fwiw, this is the boat kit.  Evolv was or is a cheaper craftsman brand.  Paid about 20 for it.  Not the greatest quality, but i don't care if broke or lost.  Has pretty much ever tool i need to tackle an impeller, belt, or loose bolt/screw on the water . 

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0746.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Fwiw, this is the boat kit.  Evolv was or is a cheaper craftsman brand.  Paid about 20 for it.  Not the greatest quality, but i don't care if broke or lost.  Has pretty much ever tool i need to tackle an impeller, belt, or loose bolt/screw on the water . 

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0746.jpg

Is this a standard or metric set?  

Ok, so here is what I’m thinking will be in my toolbox based on feedback from this post and experience on the water...

In Boat:

1. small ratchet set similar to what @oldjeep posted.  Question: Should this be a standard or metric set?

2. 1 standard and 1 Phillips screwdriver

3. Adjustable wrench 

4. Spare hose clamps 

5. Electrical tape

6. Sharp knife 

7. Zip ties 

8. Spare Impeller

9. Wire cutter/stripper

10. Butt connectors 

11. Spare Ballast Cartridge

12. Assorted Fuses 

In the Truck

1. Spare prop (I have this)

2. Prop puller

3. Spare prop nut and Cotter pin

i figure I can fit the inboat stuff in a small toolbox and keep it in my observers compartment. 

Anything else I’m missing or should be thinking about?

Buy some Knipex adjustable wrench pliers if you are looking for wrench replacements.  WAY better than an adjustable.  Will not round off tight bolts/nuts like an adjustable has a tendency to do.  When using them on softer fittings like brass or aluminum they are WAY better about not destroying the corners on your soft fittings like an adjustable crescent wrench will do.

Make sure you get the smooth jaws if you are looking for wrench replacements

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-00-20-US2/dp/B005EXNT2Y

Random review quickly found.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtM7eQvNX7s

Edited by D_Turner
On 12/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, Woodski said:

Add a dive mask in case you have to go unwind a rope around the prop.

Yep, I already carry one of those.  Had to use it when my wife ran over a rope by accident.  In her defense, it was only her 3rd time pulling me ever.  

Over 55 years of on water experience taught me you will never have the tool or part you need during a breakdown.  I carry a leatherman tool, some ty-raps, electrical tape, and a shoestring.  The shoestring is all I ever used so far. As someone with an outboard boat too( my 1970 Winner), I carry spare 2 cycle oil. There's also 2 paddles in all my boats

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Over 55 years of on water experience taught me you will never have the tool or part you need during a breakdown.

A quick story:

This past summer, after about 6-days of wake surfing with ballast tanks full, I thought it might be a good ideal to check my oil.  After launching the boat, I checked the oil to find that it was more than one quart low!!.  Since I knew I was going to check the oil this morning, I included on the boat: extra oil, funnel, nitrile gloves, and paper towels to wipe up afterwards.  After adding about 1.5 quarts, I asked my buddy to start the engine to allow the oil to flow before rechecking the oil level again.  While the engine was running, I noticed right away that oil was leaking from the oil filter.  I guess after six days of hard use, the filter worked itself loose.  Guess what?  Of all the tools in my boat toolbox, I did not bring my oil filter strap wrench!!!  After wiping down the oily filter, we were able to hand tighten the filter (tough because it was very slippery) to stop the leak.    

So, the one tool I would recommend - an now have in my toolbox - is an oil filter strap wrench.

41 minutes ago, P6Expert said:

A quick story:

This past summer, after about 6-days of wake surfing with ballast tanks full, I thought it might be a good ideal to check my oil.  After launching the boat, I checked the oil to find that it was more than one quart low!!.  Since I knew I was going to check the oil this morning, I included on the boat: extra oil, funnel, nitrile gloves, and paper towels to wipe up afterwards.  After adding about 1.5 quarts, I asked my buddy to start the engine to allow the oil to flow before rechecking the oil level again.  While the engine was running, I noticed right away that oil was leaking from the oil filter.  I guess after six days of hard use, the filter worked itself loose.  Guess what?  Of all the tools in my boat toolbox, I did not bring my oil filter strap wrench!!!  After wiping down the oily filter, we were able to hand tighten the filter (tough because it was very slippery) to stop the leak.    

So, the one tool I would recommend - an now have in my toolbox - is an oil filter strap wrench.

You should never, ever have to tighten a filter with a strap wrench.