Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What’s in your toolbox?

I actually forgot the most important thing in my toolbox.  And I'm in no way suggesting this is normal ;)

Pelican case that contains a tiny dell 2100 latitude  laptop that runs my diacom software and all the cables to use and charge it

WP_20161105_07_08_17_Pro.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:
45 minutes ago, P6Expert said:

You should never, ever have to tighten a filter with a strap wrench.

Agreed.  My situation was that the filter was so slippery that I could have used the wrench to increase the friction to stop the leak and not to over tighten the filter.  I agree that over tightening an oil filter causes other issues when changing you oil the next time.  Removing a stuck oil filter is a pain.

48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I actually forgot the most important thing in my toolbox.  And I'm in no way suggesting this is normal ;)

Pelican case that contains a tiny dell 2100 latitude  laptop that runs my diacom software and all the cables to use and charge it

WP_20161105_07_08_17_Pro.jpg

I have almost the exact same set-up.  Same color Pelican case even!  lol

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, oldjeep said:

You should never, ever have to tighten a filter with a strap wrench.

Not even with a pipe extension on the handle?

• Like 2
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, SCMike said:

This might seem like a stupid question, but I’ll ask it anyways since I don’t know.  Does Malibu use standard or metric nuts, bolts, Allen’s, etc? I have only needed to use a screwdriver on my boat so far, so I have no idea. 

Older Malibu's with the old school small block Chevy are SAE, newer LS based Chevy's are metric.

On mine, the engine is SAE, transmission is metric, while the v-drive is SAE.

Edited by MadMan
On 12/12/2018 at 10:19 AM, phinz said:

Don't forget about a water tight tool box to put everything in.

I use this from Home Depot and it works out great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492

Great idea.  I have some basic hand tools that I keep in my surf box (ocean surfing) and they are all rusted up.  I know the salt water is much harder on them, but if the case is gonna be in the boat full time, a waterproof case is the way to go. 

On 12/16/2018 at 3:56 PM, SCMike said:

Great idea.  I have some basic hand tools that I keep in my surf box (ocean surfing) and they are all rusted up.  I know the salt water is much harder on them, but if the case is gonna be in the boat full time, a waterproof case is the way to go. 

I also use it for other items as well, first aid kit, sumo sac patches and fittings, spare boat plug, boat docs, etc.