Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Registration Numbers

eubanks

36 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Thanks!  I am thinking gunmetal graphite metallic fill with flat black outline.

I don't think you'll see the black against the black. I like the colors @ahopkinsVTX mentioned. Or the opposite, Azure outline and Gunmetal fill.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Black/chrome outline Azure flake fill

Interesting. I think that would look great as well.  I had thought about that, but I guess my thought is I want registration numbers to blend as much as possible into the boat and not draw your eye to them.  I would think the matching vapor would look good but really stand out more than I want on the boat.

The black/chrome outline shows up pretty well on black,  My Wakesetter and Malibu logos are black/chrome outline, black fill on black.  I doubt the DNR would like reg numbers like that. 

I'd go with the the black/chrome outline Azure,Vapor or the silver in metallic fill. My .02  FYI the black/chrome is a big $ add-on compared to the other colors.

I don't care for the outline to show is why I was thinking black and then fill with metallic graphite to match.  I just thought the vapor is really going to make those numbers pop on the black hull.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, eubanks said:

I don't care for the outline to show is why I was thinking black and then fill with metallic graphite to match.  I just thought the vapor is really going to make those numbers pop on the black hull.

Just do one color then without an outline. 

2 hours ago, eubanks said:

The key is meeting the requirements of TX Parks & Wildlife. You may get harassed if you outline in black given your hull is black. 

"The number must read from left to right, be in block characters of good proportion not less than three inches in height and be of a color that contrasts with the color of the vessel."

The solution proposed by @ahopkinsVTX would work, although I'm not sure you can go wrong. All the combos I've seen look really good in person.

• Like 3

good point or any states that control the waters.  For MI it's DNR and a few years ago I decided to go to the dark side and buy a 210 Super Air Nautique, all white (I know why I'm back in a Malibu).  My reg numbers were chrome and got pulled over for a ticket as the officer stated that I was trying to evade with those letters.  Yahhhhhh, evade on a lake so small that if you pee in it, it rises 1/4" (bird lake, MI 110 acres)

:rant:

Great call.  I will probably just do gunmetal graphite metallic for fill and no outline.  TMC saves the day again!  :rockon:

Edited by eubanks
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I should finally have my CA registration in the next few days so it's time to get ready for an order for some cool looking registration numbers. Everyone says Domed is a great place to order from so I'm sold on them. Just need to figure out what color/font to go with. That have TONS!!! I thought I posted in this thread a while ago for suggestions, but don't see it.

I can't really visualize how things like this will end up looking so I figure I might as well get suggestions from the experts here :)

What color/font would you guys suggest? This is my boat (white exterior/white tower...2009 VLX):

09 VLX - Water.jpg

There's a few different black options. I think this one is the Black Metallic. Would you guys think this would look good on my white/white 09 VLX (pictured above)? Or would you just go basic black with a chrome outline?

Black Metalic.jpg

15 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Red outline with silver metal flake interior.  

20190306_195839.jpg

^^^ That looks GREAT ion a white hull. Just to clarify, the main interior color of that font is "Silver Metallic"? In the picture is looks like a darker gray color than a silver color. I definitely like the fact it looks darker gray.

After seeing this, I'm definitely leaning towards this "Silver Metallic" color. What outline should I go with for my white boat? Black? Chrome?

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Fish209 said:

^^^ That looks GREAT ion a white hull. Just to clarify, the main interior color of that font is "Silver Metallic"? In the picture is looks like a darker gray color than a silver color. I definitely like the fact it looks darker gray.

After seeing this, I'm definitely leaning towards this "Silver Metallic" color. What outline should I go with for my white boat? Black? Chrome?

Black outline/silver metallic fill would be awesome. For my TXi I actually had that same combo on until the sheriff politely told me that they blended in too much and I should change them before someone who cares more than him talks to me. Actual conversation. He said they look great and he gets it but a DNR isn’t going to agree with him :lol: 

I am at a loss as well.  I loved the numbers on my A22 and was figuring on ordering something similar.  I'm thinking to match the Malibu emblem but can't find it on Domednumbers.  

file-6.jpeg

11 hours ago, Fish209 said:

They have so many colors it can be confusing.  I went with 'metallic silver', not to be confused with Ultra metallic silver or some other variations of metallic silver that they have.  

21 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I am at a loss as well.  I loved the numbers on my A22 and was figuring on ordering something similar.  I'm thinking to match the Malibu emblem but can't find it on Domednumbers.  

Just go to the Domednumbers.com and click on the Malibu emblem on the home page.  

25 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

file-6.jpeg

If you email them you can get a font matching the Malibu. Here’s Reuben with silver flake outlines. 

Domednumbers.com

13 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Just go to the Domednumbers.com and click on the Malibu emblem on the home page.  

That is what I did but when I click on the 17-19 option, it pulls up a page for 2015-2016 fonts...or at least that is what it is labeled.  My Malibu emblem doesn't have a chrome outline.  I may have to call them.

Capture2.png

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Be carefull of the Fonts you choose. Some of the "Matching" Fonts make some letters and numbers look a little wonky. 

image.pngimage.png

If they come to you wonky, then write em. They’ll tweak to fix and send you replacement decals. The ‘2’ in mine was odd and ugly and they opened it up to be more appealing and sent a replacement. Be nice and communicate.  

19 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

If they come to you wonky, then write em. They’ll tweak to fix and send you replacement decals. The ‘2’ in mine was odd and ugly and they opened it up to be more appealing and sent a replacement. Be nice and communicate.  

Ha! The wonky part is the Font, not the quality of the product. I've had Domed Numbers on boats since 2000, they have always been quality.

My thinking on registration numbers has been to make them "low key", not draw attention to them.  They're not really an attractive part of the boat so why make them stand out.  Just enough contrast for law enforcement.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
53 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My thinking on registration numbers has been to make them "low key", not draw attention to them.  They're not really an attractive part of the boat so why make them stand out.  Just enough contrast for law enforcement.

You can make them attractive with domed numbers though ;)

8EFD62ED-8064-4D0E-BEA5-A97FD14CD3EB.thumb.jpeg.a29aa02ee857163a565009bca9cb1948.jpeg

7E9E8C0A-7065-44BF-9794-1739DCD3FFBF.thumb.jpeg.7131722c4e3e87700e742a7b6d4b9571.jpeg

@wedge88 for your boat I’d do silver metallic outline and white fill in the Malibu font. 

• Like 2