Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Gauge Issues

barerftr01

Hello, i have a 1998 Malibu Sunsetter VLX, I purchased the boat in October from the original owner.  He made us aware of a gauge issue before we bought the boat.  All of the lenses on the gauges are cracked, he said he was not sure how it happend. I am guessing moisture got under them and cracked them when it froze.  Anyway, I think that is just cosmetic.  The gauges work sometimes and other times they just freak out.  They turn off completely or most of the time just register false readings.  There is no rhyme or reason as to when it does it. It seems to happen more times then not.  I only drove the boat about 3 times before winterizing it.  What would cause the gauges to freak out and give false readings?  I have heard from a few friends to check the connectors and terminals for corrosion or to look for a loose ground.  I have not had the chance to dig into the wiring yet but, I am looking for any advice or if someone has had this issue.

thank you,

Mike

Look into transferring the hull warranty since you bought from the original owner.  You probably have dips in the floor that you might want fixed. 

Anyway, I think the lenses crack from manufacturing stresses and exposure to UV, which tends to denature the plasticizers. 

Definitely check all of your grounds and connectors.