Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On Trailer, In gear, no prop okay?

hawaiianstyln

During/Before winterization I found some milky oil which I'm near done putting everything back together (intake manifold gasket and cracked manifold job), I had heard some odd noise that sounded like it was coming from transmission or dripless shaft seal when I put it in gear really quick on trailer.  Now that I'm putting everything back together and flushing the oil from the milky issue, I have removed the prop and wanted to put it in gear on the trailer again to see if that noise is still resident.  It appeared to be like an inconsistent clucking noise like something was getting bobbled around.  Removing prop just eliminates the threat or concern that something or someone would just happen to be back there (who knows), takes me 5 minutes to do.

Anyone have any issues putting it into gear (no prop) to get the shaft to spin to see if I can replicate or have another concern to deal with this winter?  I sure hope it's nothing with the dripless shaft seal because that thing looks almost impossible to even get to or maintenance!!

Edited by hawaiianstyln

well that would be if you didn't have a dripless shaft and the bearings were dry?  My dripless shaft gets cooled even when on a fake-a-lake

then if that is the case and people say don't do it, it's simple to just drag down to the dock, leave the prop off, dunk the boat and run it while it's still on the trailer.  :)

I know I have a hose coming off my oil cooler that leads right to the dripless shaft for water lubrication.  I figured it would be okay to put it in gear because of that.  However, I still have to worry about the prop strut bearings that are not getting lubed during rotation.  So I guess that would be an issue unless I had someone back there soaking it with a water hose while it's spinning?

6 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I know I have a hose coming off my oil cooler that leads right to the dripless shaft for water lubrication.  I figured it would be okay to put it in gear because of that.  However, I still have to worry about the prop strut bearings that are not getting lubed during rotation.  So I guess that would be an issue unless I had someone back there soaking it with a water hose while it's spinning?

That was my only other thought.  AS long as it is really getting wet while you try.

Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

The dripless shaft seal is only for the area where the shaft goes through the hull.  The problem with putting the boat in gear on the trailer is at the strut which is where the cutlass bearing is which needs water to keep it cool.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, efjeld said:

The dripless shaft seal is only for the area where the shaft goes through the hull.  The problem with putting the boat in gear on the trailer is at the strut which is where the cutlass bearing is which needs water to keep it cool.  

Exactly.  Hose the strut and upper shaft down with water before you put it in gear and you should be good for a while until the water begins to warm.  It will be plenty long enough for you to determine the problem, and you can run relatively indefinitely if you just use a second hose to spray the shaft and strut. 

Note that this only applies to the dripless seal, not a standard packing, which would also overheat without water.

37 minutes ago, justgary said:

Exactly.  Hose the strut and upper shaft down with water before you put it in gear and you should be good for a while until the water begins to warm.  It will be plenty long enough for you to determine the problem, and you can run relatively indefinitely if you just use a second hose to spray the shaft and strut. 

Note that this only applies to the dripless seal, not a standard packing, which would also overheat without water.

Thanks and yes I have the dripless seal where it's fed from the heater cooler.  The noise was odd tho, like it was plastic sounding floating around in the transmission or dripless seal area (or V-drive).  It might be because I wasn't cooling the cutlass bearings at the time tho.  However, I figured those would make a terrible metal to metal sound. 

Thoughts on just shooting some grease or lubricant on the strut cutlass bearings while I run my test or does it need to be water.  I can always have my wife stand there hosing the strut down during my test.  I might make her put a Cousin Eddie outfit on first (Sh!tters full) while standing there.  :lol:

Water is simple and sufficient.  And it's always best to involve your wife in these sorts of things.  Just wait for a cold day to ask her to help. 

• Like 2