Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery charger placement on 2018 23 LSV

siteki

I bought a Prosport 20 battery charger to add to our boat. Not sure the best place to install it. Does anyone know where it gets installed from the factory? Where have any of you installed it or recommend that I install it? The instructions said to not install it on carpet but I don’t think I have a choice. Thanks. 

9BC75BD8-5E15-45E3-929A-CBEDF2703DD5.thumb.jpeg.0121d57df30736fd448c0bfdd0c3b72e.jpeg

I just installed same one in my 18 LSV. Instructions say not to install on carpet, even though I believe factory does anyway. I opted for mounting on the amp rack because it’s more out of the way when we are out on the water and get a ton of stuff crammed in that storage area. I cut a piece of composit plastic 3/8” thick (Walmart cutting board) same footprint as charger and screwed it in first then mounted charger to that. The cord is just long enough to reach back to the top left of the cubby hatch where I mount a pro marine plug holder mounted to the fiberglass where it doesn’t show when closed. This pic is looking in from the bow port backrest. 

D38BAE48-4D0F-46AB-90D5-22B7A54E4A77.jpeg

Edited by dalt1
2 hours ago, G Spot said:

Not a great shot but here’s the factory location in my 2018 23 LSV. 

AC328D7C-F188-4FE9-A9D9-A5E0AD59D6F2.jpeg

I installed one in my 2018LSV about a month ago and mounted it in this same location.  If you pull that panel off, there are already holes in the plastic where you can route the wires, all you need to do is slice the carpet. I mounted mine directly on the carpet since I knew they did that from the factory. This install is very easy.  It took me about 25 min from start to finish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, SCMike said:

I installed one in my 2018LSV about a month ago and mounted it in this same location.  If you pull that panel off, there are already holes in the plastic where you can route the wires, all you need to do is slice the carpet. I mounted mine directly on the carpet since I knew they did that from the factory. This install is very easy.  It took me about 25 min from start to finish. 

What did you do with the 110 plug? What does factory do with it?  Just snapped some pics of my install and plug holder. 

C631A45D-B452-4379-B886-4797BE8BAFDB.jpeg

30768C48-DC4C-4746-AF75-2B272C74117A.jpeg

9A7446CF-4473-442C-AEDC-3E543421ADA7.jpeg

13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I just installed same one in my 18 LSV. Instructions say not to install on carpet, even though I believe factory does anyway. I opted for mounting on the amp rack because it’s more out of the way when we are out on the water and get a ton of stuff crammed in that storage area. I cut a piece of composit plastic 3/8” thick (Walmart cutting board) same footprint as charger and screwed it in first then mounted charger to that. The cord is just long enough to reach back to the top left of the cubby hatch where I mount a pro marine plug holder mounted to the fiberglass where it doesn’t show when closed. This pic is looking in from the bow port backrest. 

D38BAE48-4D0F-46AB-90D5-22B7A54E4A77.jpeg

I like your repurposing  the cutting board idea.  When I mounted the last charger on my boat I used those thick white brushings/washer things that they always give you with a TV wall mount. That way there's a nice gap between the  charger and the carpet. I'm always helping friends mount TV's and save all those extras.

4 hours ago, dalt1 said:

What did you do with the 110 plug? What does factory do with it?  Just snapped some pics of my install and plug holder. 

I just bundled it up and put a Velcro strap around it. 

• 1 month later...

Did you pull the battery cables all the way to the battery terminals or can you hook them up right behind that panel

like does the factory pull all the way or just hook up to the battery switch of something

44 minutes ago, MLA said:

Battery chargers are best hooked direct to the battery terminals. Some manufactures offer extensions if needed. 

I’m betting they are hooked up to the perko or a block panel.

i agree, the usual ideal would be to have them at terminal but the cables from perko to batteries is plenty of duty. Plus 2 more sets of cables is 2 more that can fail over time.  I don’t trust manufacturers these days.  Seen to many thin insulated cables go pop

3 hours ago, Dwake said:

Did you pull the battery cables all the way to the battery terminals or can you hook them up right behind that panel

like does the factory pull all the way or just hook up to the battery switch of something

I connected mine directly to the batteries from this location. Cable is perfect length for this.

image.thumb.png.99ef41ad7008e3c32873acc0c8cfe47f.png