Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Back in the fold... New 2019 25 LSV!

TallRedRider

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

NOOOOOOOO! Go white not black (with red).  Black is so pedestrian and IIRC it's not an upcharge to get a real color match.  White trailer under that would look awesome.

I love the build.  Go Utes!!!***

(***except when playing Nevada)

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

White comes standard with the rubber coating. Some love it, some thinks it makes it look dull. I do agree that a white trailer would be sweet. And I do think you are right it’s not an upcharge. 

I had a white trailer under my G23, and I thought it was awesome.  But every little rock chip showed.  After 3 seasons and I would guess no more than 5000 miles, it looked a bit like I took the trailer out to the local rock quarry and spun brodies with it.   It was somewhat hammered in that way.  I even looked at getting it rhino-lined, but doing so after the fact was going to create some problems, so I just left it as is.  I got mudflaps after the second season, but there were so many chips, I am not sure it helped or not.  

Getting white in a heavy duty coating would be a serious consideration.  My poor dealer thought he was getting rid of me now that I committed!  

These are not tar stains on the trailer, they are chips in the paint.  And here is what a white trailer looks like under a white G.  I actually wanted a white tower but was overidden by my boat partner at the time.  (I got red, so had to give in on something).  

20171224_131849.jpg

20171224_131833.jpg

20160316_170648.jpg

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I had a white trailer under my G23, and I thought it was awesome.  But every little rock chip showed.  After 3 seasons and I would guess no more than 5000 miles, it looked a bit like I took the trailer out to the local rock quarry and spun brodies with it.   It was somewhat hammered in that way.  I even looked at getting it rhino-lined, but doing so after the fact was going to create some problems, so I just left it as is.  I got mudflaps after the second season, but there were so many chips, I am not sure it helped or not.  

Getting white in a heavy duty coating would be a serious consideration.  My poor dealer thought he was getting rid of me now that I committed!  

These are not tar stains on the trailer, they are chips in the paint.  And here is what a white trailer looks like under a white G.  I actually wanted a white tower but was overidden by my boat partner at the time.  (I got red, so had to give in on something).  

20171224_131849.jpg

20171224_131833.jpg

20160316_170648.jpg

Yikes!  That trailer is rough!

All I can think any time I see a G on a trailer is "oink."  There are a lot of them on the lakes around here.

I wouldn’t assume a black trailer will get you a different result. Black paint will chip just as much as white paint.  

Honestly, I think you’re the perfect candidate for the “elite shield” whether white or black. It’s much tougher than paint. 

My '18 had a white trailer with the coating, it was more like bed liner but more rough. I heard the '19 is not so rough. i don't tow so I can't speak to that. It does sit outside. I parked it in March when I got the boat and picked it back up in Sept when I sold the boat. It was perfect, no rust stains. I didn't even wash it before selling the boat.

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I wouldn’t assume a black trailer will get you a different result. Black paint will chip just as much as white paint.  

Honestly, I think you’re the perfect candidate for the “elite shield” whether white or black. It’s much tougher than paint. 

Ah, elite shield, that’s the name! But I agree, perfect candidate. I don’t think it’s much more either. 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, TallRedRider said:

I previously had a 2006 Malibu 247.  It was my favorite boat of that time frame.  The new tech has been nice when I first changed to a 2015, then 2016 Nautique G23.  Those were great boats, but it was time for something new.  When I have noted on the forum how a dealer can change the experience, I now have practical knowledge.  My Nautique dealer service has been mostly subpar, and that weighed large in my decision to go back to Malibu.  

I landed on the 25 because of the size.  I miss the size of the 247, even when I had a smaller crew.  I am excited to be back, although I never left this site much due to the good advice and entertainment that abounds here.  

I will have the M6DI engine and no real special upgrades.  Triple axle trailer.  G3.5 tower, extended bimini, sport dial.  

I am happy to hear suggestions on the build.  My only disappointment is that the gelcoat pattern for the 2019 25 LSV is different than the 23.  I think it is going to grow on me, but for now, I am not much of a fan.  The boat builder has Aggressive, Classic and Progressive, but they are all very similar, with a big blocky main panel, no sleek lines like on virtually every other Malibu.  After playing around with the boat builder for a while, below is what I ordered.  I am happy to see what others have designed and would be happy to have any suggestions.  Red is not a must, but obviously tends to be my favorite.  I would prefer not to have any black.  Another metal flake option would run up the bill, so I would like to avoid it, but if it looks good enough, I could do it.  I usually would not go crazy and order something that would be tough to resell, even if I loved the look of it.   I have a little bit of time to make changes, but that is a recipe for getting it wrong, so sooner the better to be sure it goes in right.  

SnipImage (1).JPG

SnipImage (2).JPG

I had a 2010 247 that I kept for more than five years, and I only sold it to update on technology. In the last three years, I've had two 23's and now I am going back to the 25 coming in January. I am glad you decided on the 25 because there is something about a bigger boat. I think I'll keep this one for at least five more years.  

13 hours ago, IXFE said:

Black paint chips don't show as easily, so that is my thinking there.  You guys are good at spending my money. 

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

are you using rocktamers/mudflaps?  How does the gel on the boat look?

I only got the Rock Tamers after 2 years. The gel on the boat was not too bad at all. 

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I only got the Rock Tamers after 2 years. The gel on the boat was not too bad at all. 

I mean that looks crazy bad tho.  I've got a vapor trailer and I don't think I have a single rock chip at all.... but it's only ever been towed with the rocktamers.  My MB (trailer and lower boat gel) took a beating one time that the local authorities thought it was a good idea to chip seal the last 15 miles of road to the lake on a saturday morning... but that was before rocktamers (and the reason for buying them).  

I can't believe that every white trailer ends up looking sandblasted like that.

• Like 1

@TallRedRider I love the new boat, man!!!  Welcome back to Malibu.  That said, I also really like the G23 you just moved.  In any case, on the tower, I prefer all one color, personally.  If it were all white, it would be super sick.  That's not to say that the chrome deters from the overall look of the boat at all.  

Interesting to read the comments about the gel lines.  I have yet to see a new 25 in the flesh, but I really like the lines and have played with them in the boat builder.  If I was in a position to get a 25, I'd do it in a minute.  As @IXFE said, I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new 25's on here this year.  Hopefully someone will start a new 25 delivery thread.  

Yikes!  I trailer our 2005 exclusively with a black trailer and never had any chipped paint.  Hope the 2019 trailers are up to the task.  That white trailer looks brutal.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Oh, I just want to remphasize @IXFE‘s suggest to make the tower hoop black. Soooooooo happy we did this. Makes the tower flow with the design of the boat much better imo. The gunmetal finish is weird too. Shows lots of hand prints. And there is no other gun metal finish like it on the boat. Sticks out imo. 

I agree with making the tower loop black. I wasn't going to and so glad my daughter suggested it. 😄

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I agree with making the tower loop black. I wasn't going to and so glad my daughter suggested it. 😄

When I did my build, I made the entire tower black at first, but then I changed it to match the graphics that are gun metal. It looks good on the build sheet; I just hope it looks good in person. I like the look when the entire tower is black, but it was a $250 upgrade. With this change, I can now afford my boat. :):clap: