Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
RyanB

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

Recommended Posts

oldjeep
28 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I wonder what the tow ratings are going to be.  I am looking at big toy haulers and it would be nice to have a little room with a 3500 and not have to go to a medium duty platform.  

I wonder if they even want to raise the tow ratings.  Ram 3500 is rated for around 30k which is just crazy for a pickup.  Silverado would need to boost their ratings by almost 10k to meet that. 

One thing i wonder about is at what point do you need a commercial licence to utilize the rating, or does that only apply to vehicles driven for work?  I needed a class b licence for the trucks over 26k? That i used to drive.  Edit, appears to be based on gvwr with no regard for weight being towed. 

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

From what I understand Washington (my state) exempts RVs from the need for a CDL for all RVs as long as they are not being used commercially regardless of weight.  26K total weight rating seems like a magic number for a CDL in a lot of states.  

https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlexempt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

Most of the triple-axle 5'ers/toy haulers ship at 17-19k pounds and can push 25k loaded.  I think the current GMC dually is rated for around 24K.  

That heavy I'd want some good breaks on the 5'er.  One of the brands I am looking at has 8k axles, Kodiak disc breaks on each axles, and comes with 6 load-range H truck tires instead of crappy RV tires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

Both ford and RAM have tow ratings around 30,000 pounds for a 3500 DRW. I read somewhere that GM will raise their rating to be competitive with the new truck. The weak link (the 6 speed Allison) being upgraded allows them to compete in that heavy market. 

I’ve towed about 25000 pounds with a previous generation RAM 3500. That wasn’t nearly enough truck in my opinion. 

But those huge tow ratings are more for the hot shotters than the RV guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

Both ford and RAM have tow ratings around 30,000 pounds for a 3500 DRW. I read somewhere that GM will raise their rating to be competitive with the new truck. The weak link (the 6 speed Allison) being upgraded allows them to compete in that heavy market. 

I’ve towed about 25000 pounds with a previous generation RAM 3500. That wasn’t nearly enough truck in my opinion. 

But those huge tow ratings are more for the hot shotters than the RV guys. 

I tow 26-27k. Pretty regularly with a srw Ram 3500. Local only. As you say it probably really isn’t enough truck. Until I purchased my 18. When I switched from the 08 to the 14. I thought I was in heaven. Then I got my 18 with the Aisin transmission. Now I am in heaven. The pucker factor is no longer an issue. I actually can relax when towing now. I can’t go to a dually as this is also my daily driver personal vehicle. I would not have any fenders left on a dually Also if I remember correctly the 14 had a payload of 4000k pounds. The 18 is rated at 6k. I feel that is one of the major differences in the heavy towing. 

Edited by Sparky450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

Pin weight with a big triple axle 5'er is often the limiting issue.  I think you do need at least 6k maybe 7k in the bed on some of the bigger ones.

I am not a Dodge guy but the new Ram 3500 looks pretty sick.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/auto-show/heavy-duty-2019-ram-2500-3500-pickup-trucks-unveiled-at-detroit-auto-show

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko

I think you get de-rated from those big numbers when you are towing something tall like an camper trailer. The wind restriction plays a part in the amount of weight you can haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
30 minutes ago, Falko said:

I think you get de-rated from those big numbers when you are towing something tall like an camper trailer. The wind restriction plays a part in the amount of weight you can haul.

True on some of the smaller tow vehicles (like a Jeep). 

I am almost 100% certain that is not a limitation on any of the HDs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

True on some of the smaller tow vehicles (like a Jeep). 

I am almost 100% certain that is not a limitation on any of the HDs. 

So, just to satisfy my interest I went through the 2018 Ford Towing Guide. It gives nothing about reducing the weight given the type of trailer. However on page 41 of 41, it does say that you should consider the engine size and respective tow rating if your trailer has a large frontal area, you should consider going up one size on the engine. So no real de-rate, but they recommend you consider  the engine. And this guide is fascinating, if you get a chance to go through all 41 pages, pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

Towing a big travel trailer is definitely different from pulling a heavy dump trailer.  I can tell my 14k dump trailer full of concrete chunks is heavy but it doesn't pull me around like my big travel trailer that weighs less, especially at highway speeds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
5 hours ago, Falko said:

So, just to satisfy my interest I went through the 2018 Ford Towing Guide. It gives nothing about reducing the weight given the type of trailer. However on page 41 of 41, it does say that you should consider the engine size and respective tow rating if your trailer has a large frontal area, you should consider going up one size on the engine. So no real de-rate, but they recommend you consider  the engine. And this guide is fascinating, if you get a chance to go through all 41 pages, pass.

So how do you go up in engine size when you already have a HD diesel?  If you have a Ford or Chevy, I guess they would tell you its time to upgrade to a Cummins.....  :)

Edited by RyanB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7
59 minutes ago, RyanB said:

So how do you go up in engine size when you already have a HD diesel?  If you have a Ford or Chevy, I guess they would tell you its time to upgrade to a Cummins.....  :)

The Cummins has a base and an upgraded option now in the HD.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

So how do you go up in engine size when you already have a HD diesel?  If you have a Ford or Chevy, I guess they would tell you its time to upgrade to a Cummins.....  :)

Word I heard from a few tuner friends is that the Alison tranny is finally the weak link in the Chevy and that they can tune the 2017s or later into monsters without much trouble, but the tranny can't handle much more torque without seriously compromising longevity.  I suspect they are going to really beef up the new 10 speed tranny for this reason.    I am looking forward to the Chicago show to see what Chevy has in store for the new truck.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The Cummins has a base and an upgraded option now in the HD.  

There have been multiple output options in the Cummins for YEARS.

From 2004 - 2018 the manual was the lowest output.

2013 - current, 68RFE transmission is behind the "standard output" engine.

2013 - curren, the Aisin is behind the high output.

FCA is discontinuing the manual in the 2020.

Edited by RyanB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

Correct you are.  I hadn’t known this until tonight.  Interesting they do that vs standardizing on a single output and tranny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

I may actually roll into a dealer and look at a Ram 3500 this year.  The odds of me leaving Chevy/GMC are slim, but the new Ram was a lot going for it from the video reports I have watched.  The new 2020 needs to step it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

Most of the GM guys that I have heard from seem to be pretty disappointed in the reports on the upcoming HD (and the new 1500).  The biggest thing GM seems to be pushing is a fancy tailgate.  GM does need to step up their game to compete.  RAM already has surpassed Chevy (actually I think GM) in the HD, and is right neck in neck with Chevy (not GM) in overall truck sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

I have been 100% satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo in my last two trucks and especially the quietness and ride quality of the truck overall.  But I want to see reports on the new GM/Allison transmission and make sure all the new torque isn't hurting powertrain reliability.

All the Ram HD's i've been in don't have the same ride and quietness in the cab as my GMC or my last Chevy.  I'd like to drive a new one and see if Dodge has improved on this.  I also have concerns about the quality of non-major components on the Ram (my buddies always seem to have little things breaking or wearing on their HDs that are just little PITAs).  But the videos of the new truck look very promising.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

The RAM 2500 with rear coils is the best riding HD on the market.  I don't think I have read a review that says anything else.  

Not sure about the quietness comparison, but I am happy with that (and everything else) on my 2012.

Interior on the top model RAMs (Longhorn and Limited) and the Ford Platinum are fantastic.  Nothing in the GM fleet that is in the same class.  And the new 12" screen RAM is offering IMO sets it apart even from the Ford.

Other than that, I don't think there really is a bad choice with any of the pickups by the Big 3.  Comes down to personal preference mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

The Ford's don't do anything for me for personal preference reasons.  And, like I said, the new Ram looks like a great truck.  I will probably give one a ride once they hit the lots.  But I've had such good luck with my last three chevy's I'd have to view the Ram  as a clear winner over the 2020 Chevy's to get me to shift brands.  We'll see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
On 1/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, jjackkrash said:

I have been 100% satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo in my last two trucks and especially the quietness and ride quality of the truck overall.  But I want to see reports on the new GM/Allison transmission and make sure all the new torque isn't hurting powertrain reliability.

All the Ram HD's i've been in don't have the same ride and quietness in the cab as my GMC or my last Chevy.  I'd like to drive a new one and see if Dodge has improved on this.  I also have concerns about the quality of non-major components on the Ram (my buddies always seem to have little things breaking or wearing on their HDs that are just little PITAs).  But the videos of the new truck look very promising.  

I have had a 2008,2014, and now have a 2018  Ram 3500 Laramie

2008 was blah all the way around. However, it was a very dependable truck. 237k miles 1 transmission at 92k and an air conditioner in there somewhere.

2014 was a huge upgrade on the interior. Although I always hated the seats, they were very hard. The 2014 only saw the dealer once for a recall on the front end. It need a few other recalls completed but I sold it at 117k and did not do anything except wear items and services.

2018 This is a much nicer truck. The wife will actually take long rides in this one without complaining. The seats feel like a recliner now. and with 15k it has not seen the shop. (I probably just jinx it) Now that it is starting to break in, the MPG on the hwy at 80-85 without a trailer is 16-17. I have seen 18.9 on one trip down south. Hand Calced.   The mileage is way better than the last 2. And the Aisin transmission pulls like a dream.

Lets hope they continue improving on a good thing. I will be ready for another one in 2021-2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindSquirrel

+1 on the ram improvement over previous years. I have a 2018 2500 Laramie and love it. I put 4 bags of gravel in the back with not pulling... really smooths our the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
56 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

+1 on the ram improvement over previous years. I have a 2018 2500 Laramie and love it. I put 4 bags of gravel in the back with not pulling... really smooths our the ride.

The weight in the bed really does help. A 3500 is not real smooth when empty. 😩 Chevy/GMC are definetly a softer ride. They are actually a little to soft for my taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

It really is a minor miracle how nice these big trucks are getting all the way around.  The tow capacity keeps going up as the passenger ride quality and creature comforts continue to improve.

I am thinking about a DRW this year just because all the crap I pull just keeps getting heavier.  I am looking at 5 and 6 ton mini-exes and by the time you toss in a trailer and a few attachments I could be pulling 18k from the bumper.  I am hoping with the improvements the ride quality when used as a daily with still be tolerable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash
18 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Chevy/GMC are definetly a softer ride. They are actually a little to soft for my taste. 

I lined the doors of my 2016 2500 Denali with Dynamat when I had the stereo installed.  When I first brought it home my wife compared the ride and cabin noise to her last Lexus sedan, and the dynamat made it even quieter.  It really is silly how nice these trucks are getting inside the cabin.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...