Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

RyanB

I decided to go with the High Country Deluxe Chevy. I ordered the Iridescent Pearl Tricoat with black/umber interior. Decided to go with a 3/4 ton due to new towing capacities this year. It has the power up/down tailgate unlike the GMC transformer tailgate (I would be to one to put it into the hitch anyway) and full towing package and 3.42 gear. The new options are basically like my 2019 Silverado 1500 (rear heated seats/tire sensors for trailer/cameras/etc.) but the HD's have a bed view camera also. They didn't know yet the exact base price but did confirm the Silverado Deluxe will still be less expensive than the Denali, so I decided to go Chevy and spend the difference on wheels/tires/lift when it comes in. The color options are the same as the new 1500's. Will have to wait for tuner to figure out the new 10 speed Allison trans before we turn it up.

• Like 3

I pulled my new 5+ton mini-ex home the other day; its right at 14K lbs. with the trailer and 1 bucket (I had 1500 lbs. of tongue weight as loaded).   I gotta say that is about all I want to pull with my 2016 2500HD w/ Duramax.  I am hoping the extra HP/Torque and the 10 speed on the 2020 will make a significant difference towing in that weight range.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Have you considered a tune? I ran a tune from new to 85k on mine with DEF still on it and pulled a 43' toy hauler. Pulled great, my father in law's deleted truck (wont say brand to keep down arguments) overheated on our way back from his ranch with his Kubota on a trailer while following me. I just recommend doing the trans tune to help protect it. I deleted at 85k and now have 171k on it, still a beast. 

http://duramaxtuner.com/

I have tuned several turbo-charged audi's but none of my trucks.  If I were keeping this one outside warranty I'd probably consider a tune, but I am for sure getting a new 2020 this year so I'll just keep it stock till I trade it in.  

On 12/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, boardjnky4 said:

Aside from the looks. I'd be concerned about just how often this thing is changing gears while towing, with a 10-speed transmission.

Are we assuming the V8 will be the same as the 6.2L in the 1500?

The 10 speeds have been discussed online to a great extent. They don’t hunt for gears in the F150. The total ratio is the same as the 6 speed which means smaller ratios between gears leading to very smooth shifts.

No, they won’t put an aluminum block engine in a heavy duty truck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 2019 3500 DRW Denali on close out.  I want to see if I can live with the dully as a daily before I order a 2020.  So far I love it.  It took about a half hour to get used to the size but now it seems normal.  The ride isn't bad and the truck feels very planted.  The sales manager I deal with says I'll likely be able to get as good or almost as good a deal on a 2020 if I wait till October to order for December delivery with the likely end-of-year incentives.  

So far I am digging the DRW and the long bed.  The rig is so stable its ridiculous.  But I also haven't had it long or done any driving in tight situations yet.  I figure I'll give it a few months and try and keep an open mind.  Because you are right, the new SRW is rated to tow 20k from the hitch as well.  That gives me some cushion towing my mini ex and some room to get a pretty big fiver down the road even if I get a SRW 3500.  

My truck is a DRW but it is a dedicated tow vehicle. I would sell it tomorrow if it had to do daily driver duty. 

I wouldn’t get a DRW unless it can be just a tow vehicle or unless you really need it. 

• 8 months later...

Well, there is allegedly a 2020 3500 DRW Denali in Pacific Blue Metallic on a train headed to a dealership in Beaverton.  My dealer is supposedly working out a dealer trade and it should be in my driveway in a week or two.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, the 10-speed is butter.  And I had them dealer trade the truck before I laid eyes on the Blue, but I am very happy with it.  I had my fingers crossed because some Blues just don't look quite the same in person as they do on the screen.  :)  

10 hours ago, surfdude said:

Hope you bought the GMC, not the Chevy 

Just curious about this statement.  I'm not in the market for one right now, I'm just wondering if I've missed some news or something.  They are on the same platform, right?  Purely aesthetics?

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

Just curious about this statement.  I'm not in the market for one right now, I'm just wondering if I've missed some news or something.  They are on the same platform, right?  Purely aesthetics?

The GM is a very nice looking truck.  The Chevy is more..........controversial.

• Like 2

I like the look of the GMC better (my personal opinion is it is a great looking truck), but I don't mind the Chevy's either.  Some of the trims do look better than others.  But personal preferences are just that, personal.  The good news is if you don't like the GM product, 2020 looks like a great year for all the trucks.  I am not a Ford or Ram guy, but can't deny those look like great trucks as well this year (especially with the new Ford engine).