Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

RyanB

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Here’s an idea... don’t put a step like that on a vehicle who’s primary purpose is towing/hauling.

Fair. But it’s an option I assume? At least 6/10 people buying these will just be hauling groceries anyway :lol: 

I do really like the steps in the bumper on my truck. I was skeptical at first but they are very well done. Especially because the shapes the stake pocket in the bed rail to easily grab. 

EDIT: Looks like the tailgate is standard on the 1500's when you select SLT or higher trim package. Can't build a next generation HD yet. So yeah, they could be getting a lot of complaints coming in. I know my hitch stays in all summer and honestly I should probably leave it in all winter so if someone slides into me that banana peels their hood ;)

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Fair. But it’s an option I assume? At least 6/10 people buying these will just be hauling groceries anyway :lol: 

I do really like the steps in the bumper on my truck. I was skeptical at first but they are very well done. Especially because the shapes the stake pocket in the bed rail to easily grab. 

Sure. But these ain’t custom ordered boats... 99% of these trucks will be configured by a dealer, then picked off the lot by the unsuspecting customer. 

Most trucks I see around here have a hitch/ball in place, towing or not.  I suspect many many tailgates are going to go “crunch.”

What GM should have done is install a sensor so that piece will stop short if it senses an obstacle in the way (like how a power window or moonroof won’t close on your hand). On a $70k truck that seems like a reasonable expectation.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, IXFE said:

Sure. But these ain’t custom ordered boats... 99% of these trucks will be configured by a dealer, then picked off the lot by the unsuspecting customer. 

Most trucks I see around here have a hitch/ball in place, towing or not.  I suspect many many tailgates are going to go “crunch.”

What GM should have done is install a sensor so that piece will stop short if it senses an obstacle in the way (like how a power window or moonroof won’t close on your hand). On a $70k truck that seems like a reasonable expectation.

I think I edited my post as you were typing this. I agree with you. The sensor would be sweet and I agree they should have something like that. Who knows, maybe they have that. I haven't been around a new truck that has this tailgate. 

One other thing I noticed while building a 2019 1500, second row heated seats are an option in a very fairly (IMO) priced "convenience" package.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a22295357e35a076f1d1e5aa8be93cbc.JPG

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not really understanding the need since they already have those bumper end step cutouts - which I wish my truck had.  Those are a pretty elegant and low cost hard to damage solution.  I can step straight up onto my tailgate right now, but my knees are not going to last forever.

I’ve seen plenty of GM owners eat it while stepping on those corner bumper steps.

It appears if you wear a workboot or have a shoe size over 8.5 there isn’t much room to securely plant your foot in that cut out. Add some rain , snow or mud and it’s all gravy for uncle rick to sit back and watch the show.

• Like 2

They updated the bumper steps on the new truck to make them bigger/deeper. And added one in the front corner of the bed too. 

I like that tailgate. But hitting the hitch is a major design flaw. 

1 minute ago, Stevo said:

I’ve seen plenty of GM owners eat it while stepping on those corner bumper steps.

It appears if you wear a workboot or have a shoe size over 8.5 there isn’t much room to securely plant your foot in that cut out. Add some rain , snow or mud and it’s all gravy for uncle rick to sit back and watch the show.

I guess I've only tried one out at the car show, but my size 10.5 didn't have any problem using it as a step.  I can see ice and snow being an issue, but that seems like an even bigger issue for that tailgate step with all the moving bits.

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

9.5 work boots and have never at it. I’ve also made some very sketchy steps from the dock to the bumper either barefoot or in reefs when the water is cold and I don’t watch to touch it :biggrin:

52 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

One other thing I noticed while building a 2019 1500, second row heated seats are an option in a very fairly (IMO) priced "convenience" package.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a22295357e35a076f1d1e5aa8be93cbc.JPG

My 2013 F-150 had rear heated seats. Nice to see GM catching up.

Wake me up when they add panoramic roof...

:whistle:

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

But they look very functional.  Hard to make a huge mirror not look like an encyclopedia sticking off the side of the truck.  All in all a very nice looking truck.

I don’t mind an book hanging off the door, just don’t have Gumby design it! 

I can't wait to see the new trucks in person.  There's a lot to like feature wise, IMO.  But the make-or-break feature is the new 10-speed tranny.  Fingers crossed.  

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

My 2013 F-150 had rear heated seats. Nice to see GM catching up.

Wake me up when they add panoramic roof...

:whistle:

As did my 2010 Ram Laramie...which is like 3 steps from top trim.

Sorry GM guys, I was a fan of my wife's yukon XL denali when we bought it (maybe even influenced IXFE) but it is hands down the worst vehicle we have ever owned.  Complete garbage quality and mechanical issues for a Kia, let alone a $78,000 "premium" vehicle.  I hear you that the D max is solid performer, but GM has lost me forever.  Hopefully HD Ram in my future.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

As did my 2010 Ram Laramie...which is like 3 steps from top trim.

Sorry GM guys, I was a fan of my wife's yukon XL denali when we bought it (maybe even influenced IXFE) but it is hands down the worst vehicle we have ever owned.  Complete garbage quality and mechanical issues for a Kia, let alone a $78,000 "premium" vehicle.  I hear you that the D max is solid performer, but GM has lost me forever.  Hopefully HD Ram in my future.

It’s funny I have the same story over two jeep grand cherokees. :crazy: they all have their horror stories and best vehicles ever owned stories. It’s impossible not to with how many each company produces! I’m just happy we have the options we have. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, oldjeep said:

I guess I've only tried one out at the car show, but my size 10.5 didn't have any problem using it as a step.  I can see ice and snow being an issue, but that seems like an even bigger issue for that tailgate step with all the moving bits.

I have a size 13 and haven't ate it on my steps yet.  They are plenty deep to step in.

Toyotas are the Tom Brady of trucks.

Not liked by many

old in design

gets the job done more than most will admit

Maintains its value for quite a while

and most importantly, gets the hot chicks...

(we'll just leave the whole mani-pedi and uggs thing in the closet)

I'd actually think of Toyota's as the Jay Cutler of trucks.

Stuck around for much longer than he should have.  Had lots of potential but never lived up to it, ended up just old and washed up.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

When did Toyota start making trucks?

They are quite illusive, moving at will, unlike some other offerings. You can find them inconspicuously parked in driveways and not along the side of the roads or repair shops or on flatbeds with flashy lights. 

At least the Silverado is making changes. Toyota, do you understand that, timed change is good.