Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

RyanB

53 minutes ago, Falko said:

We're pacing ourselves, it's going to be a long winter. I think talking about that grill is on the schedule for... let me see.... ah here it is, January 16th. 

Good point. I’ve always been bad at pacing myself. My apologies to @oldjeep and @ahopkinsVTX. Let’s bring this back on topic

Anybody curious about what the floor mats are like?  

• Like 1

I hope the GMC doesn't have the odd shaped fender wells like they did on the 1/2 tons. That is the main reason I bought a 2019 Silverado this year. Next year I am going to replace my Denali HD, might be getting another Chevy next year. As for the transmission, I was told that they knew with current and expected power increases the 6 speed was at its limit without some serious upgrades. That makes sense after watching this video of the new Duramax after they figured out how to put a tune in it.

I will say that after owning a truck with towing mirrors that ARE NOT electric, I won't do that again. I had always wondered why the local ATM had marks on the posts beside the drive through. I haven't contributed to the problem but she's close, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Non power tow mirrors do suck,  but I feel better when I see a Ram with the tow mirrors up in the "I surrender" position. Ford has the best tow mirrors.

How is it that ford has the best tow mirrors? I guess i own a ram, but the ram power fold towing mirrors are the best option I've seen.  Pretty unobtrusive in the down position with full side fisheye and the ability to rotate them up for towing huge trailers. 

ahopkins22LSV
38 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I suspect that most of the folks who leave them in that position don't know how their trailer brake controller works either. 

That would make a large percentage of ram/dodge owners then... ;)

And give me crap all you want about that if it makes you feel better. I’ve been towing boats my entire life and as we all know, 99.9% of them have surge brakes. So sorry I don’t have experience with electronic brake systems and controllers. We never snowmobile, camped with a trailer, had a car hauler or anything like that, wasn’t our passion. We towed and tow boats in my family and we’ve never owned anything bigger then 20’ fishing boat or my current VTX. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
53 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I suspect that most of the folks who leave them in that position don't know how their trailer brake controller works either. 

Or are hooked to a trailer the majority of the time. Not worth flipping down and adjusting when its just going to be hooked right back up to something else. I like them out towing especially when backing into the garage,  I only have about 3 inches on each side of the guide poles.  

Ha Ha you can definitely tell that the water has cooled off, when the truck topics pick back up.

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
On 12/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, IXFE said:

Think back to the last time Malibu had the entire GM line up of engines (i.e. 2015).  There were four engines: 5.7L, 6.0L (L96), 6.2L (LS3), and 6.2L SC (LSA).  Back then when you contemplated engine upgrades you had a lot of choices and price points. 

One problem with your theory.  Back then, only 3 of those were being put into automobiles.  In your 2015 example, GM stopped putting that in a vehicle in 2003...and even then it was only select full size vans for the last few years.  People complained about my reference to it being an antiquated motor but it really was - last updated in 1996 and even then it just stole the head design from the 1992 released LT1 and made it worse (by getting rid of the reverse cooling).

So now we have less motors available but they are all being used in truck/car applications.  I know everyone wants the DI LT1 but really the L86 is the motor you want for a boat (the 6.2L in the trucks, which is a LT1 with a different cam/intake which would be more suited for a boat).  

Another thought that I've never seen discussed here but should be - catch cans for these new DI boat motors.  You don't get nearly use on a boat motor, so maybe coking the valves in oil isn't a concern.  I put catch cans on both of my DI motored vehicles and they catch oil that could be caked onto the valves otherwise, causing performance issues.  It's a real thing regardless of heads in the sand pretending it isn't a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm due for a new 2500 this time next year.  So cliff notes, it looks like the Duramax engine is the same for 2020 as 2019 (not interested in any gasser), but maybe a tranny upgrade?  I wouldn't mind just sticking with a '19 unless the new tranny is a significant upgrade.  I don't really car all the much if the grill is ugly or not.   

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 2 weeks later...
ahopkins22LSV

***Breaking News***

@oldjeep can finally rest easy as it appears the 2019 trailer brake controller has been moved to his preferred location in GM trucks. 

AADDA256-AB2F-475D-9E75-0E4E3023C2A6.thumb.jpeg.abc2ed121617efe5e936d32132b3d0b8.jpeg

It also appears that they addressed the lack of vents and power outlets for the rear seat. Granted this is all in a 2019 1500, but I assume the 2500 will follow suit. 

DF55A8E8-CC56-4F26-87B0-54B2208E7ADB.thumb.jpeg.d21abade8a665d1099e886f7ab0af5f7.jpeg

• Like 3

I wonder what the tow ratings are going to be.  I am looking at big toy haulers and it would be nice to have a little room with a 3500 and not have to go to a medium duty platform.