Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

RyanB

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do the factory ones have a manual brake apply button? I don’t think my does but again, little experience overall and never used it in my truck

Every brake controller I have seen has a slide on it. That is what will activate the brakes. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not a purchase decision, but it did make me decide to install an aftermarket controller in my 09 rather than retrofitting the stock 2010 unit.

Hmm. I’ve pulled trailers forever. And I’ve never needed to apply the brakes that way. But obviously there is a reason to do it. 

2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Hmm. I’ve pulled trailers forever. And I’ve never needed to apply the brakes that way. But obviously there is a reason to do it. 

Only had to do it in the winter when we used to do a lot of off-roading hauling jeeps on car trailers up north.  Icy highway and the trailer tries to pass you down a hill.  If you have electric brakes then you hit the oh - s*** switch.  If you have surge brakes you hit the gas as hard as you can and hope it straightens out.

Edited by oldjeep

The slide brakes are nice when towing the sled trailer cross country and it starts swaying on black ice in a crosswind.  Tap that and it pulls right in-line.

That new HD is the truck I saw last month cladded up in black doing some towing tests in the desert.  I could see that grille through the screened camo cladding and I recognize those wheels and mirrors.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Think for a moment where all the frequently used controls are in whatever you drive. 

I don’t think that is a fair statement or has anything to do with placement of controls. 

The fact of the matter is there is much more real estate to use in the center of the vehicle than the lateral side. 

Every right hand drive vehicle (probably close to half of the vehicles built) have the frequently used controls on the left side. 

54 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I don’t change my radio station in an oh-s*** moment pulling a trailer.

Maybe not, but that is where the gearshift would be.   Anyone who learned to drive before automatics were in everything steers primarily left handed. 

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe not, but that is where the gearshift would be.   Anyone who learned to drive before automatics were in everything steers primarily left handed. 

That’s a fair point

11 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Aside from the looks. I'd be concerned about just how often this thing is changing gears while towing, with a 10-speed transmission.

Are we assuming the V8 will be the same as the 6.2L in the 1500?

Ford already proved the 10 speed with three model years and they all lock out gears just like 6 speed and 8

I am debating a truck upgrade to a heavy duty in 2019, and my go to Ford brand doesn’t fit lengthwise in my garage.  Ram and GM are oddly 10” shorter (even with the same bed length) so I have been studying them more but the new front end view so far = yuck to me.  The Chevrolet wording looks out of place.   I wonder what the GMC version will have there?

2A7CC5F4-6A2B-4E3C-96C5-CBB1062C354B.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Wonder if they are Gona spell Chevrolet in Spanish or Chinese since I’m assuming that is where they will be made now 😏🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Soooooo incorrect. Flint, MI. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

GM launches a badly needed new HD truck design, complete with new engine, transmission, and arguably the ugliest front end anyone has every seen (TFL called it a "punch in the face"), and we get two pages of speculation about what side the brake controller might be on.  Nice work guys... 

Here's what I'm wondering...

Think back to the last time Malibu had the entire GM line up of engines (i.e. 2015).  There were four engines: 5.7L, 6.0L (L96), 6.2L (LS3), and 6.2L SC (LSA).  Back then when you contemplated engine upgrades you had a lot of choices and price points.  If you just wanted a little extra, you paid a little extra to go from the 350 to the 410.  All that went away with the Ford motors because the 6.2L 410 was a really compelling base motor in the smaller boats + the fact that there was no "tweener" upgrade before you went all the way up to the 6.2L 450 (priced where the LS3 used to be) + the fact that the 450 was just a software tune.  I predicted then that Malibu's engine upgrade "attach rate" would fall dramatically.  I have no real data to prove whether I was right or not, but anecdotal evidence says it's true.  

Now looking forward. Malibu is back using GM engines in our boats, this time using the new direct injected line up.  So far we know about the 5.3 (base engine in everything up to and including the 23 LSV) and the 6.2 (first level upgrade in all but the 24 MXZ and 25 LSV where it's the base).  Kinda sounds like the 5.3 is the new 5.7 and the 6.2 is the new 6.0.  What comes after that?  We know there's gotta be more, right?  If you look at the order sheet today it's the trusty old LSA (i.e. still just three engine options).  But the LSA is not direct injected.  So I'm thinking that's a place holder until.....?  Can anybody say Monsoon 650 (i.e. LT4)???  Then we learn that GM has a new HD gasser engine (reportedly a 6.6L DI).  Could that maybe be a fourth engine so we can party like it's 2015???

It's not hard to imagine this engine line up at some point in the future:

• 5.3 DI (positioned where the old 5.7 was)
  • 6.2 DI (positioned where the old 6.0 L96 was)
  • 6.6 DI (positioned where the old 6.2 LS3 was)
  • 6.2 DI SC (positioned where the old 6.2 LSA was)

This is PURE SPECULATION, but from a business perspective, it would likely increase the "attach rate" on engine upgrades, assuming they priced them like they used to (i.e. that first upgrade needs to be < $5K msrp).  I'm probably wrong but it's fun to imagine all the fun possibilities that line up would create.  For example, maybe a new 6.6 DI becomes the base motor in the M235??

Bringing it back to the new Chevy HD... can anybody say "Family Truckster?"

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

GM launches a badly needed new HD truck design, complete with new engine, transmission, and arguably the ugliest front end anyone has every seen (TFL called it a "punch in the face"), and we get two pages of speculation about what side the brake controller might be on.  Nice work guys... 

Here's what I'm wondering...

Think back to the last time Malibu had the entire GM line up of engines (i.e. 2015).  There were four engines: 5.7L, 6.0L (L96), 6.2L (LS3), and 6.2L SC (LSA).  Back then when you contemplated engine upgrades you had a lot of choices and price points.  If you just wanted a little extra, you paid a little extra to go from the 350 to the 410.  All that went away with the Ford motors because the 6.2L 410 was a really compelling base motor in the smaller boats + the fact that there was no "tweener" upgrade before you went all the way up to the 6.2L 450 (priced where the LS3 used to be) + the fact that the 450 was just a software tune.  I predicted then that Malibu's engine upgrade "attach rate" would fall dramatically.  I have no real data to prove whether I was right or not, but anecdotal evidence says it's true.  

Now looking forward. Malibu is back using GM engines in our boats, this time using the new direct injected line up.  So far we know about the 5.3 (base engine in everything up to and including the 23 LSV) and the 6.2 (first level upgrade in all but the 24 MXZ and 25 LSV where it's the base).  Kinda sounds like the 5.3 is the new 5.7 and the 6.2 is the new 6.0.  What comes after that?  We know there's gotta be more, right?  If you look at the order sheet today it's the trusty old LSA (i.e. still just three engine options).  But the LSA is not direct injected.  So I'm thinking that's a place holder until.....?  Can anybody say Monsoon 650 (i.e. LT4)???  Then we learn that GM has a new HD gasser engine (reportedly a 6.6L DI).  Could that maybe be a fourth engine so we can party like it's 2015???

It's not hard to imagine this engine line up at some point in the future:

• 5.3 DI (positioned where the old 5.7 was)
  • 6.2 DI (positioned where the old 6.0 L96 was)
  • 6.6 DI (positioned where the old 6.2 LS3 was)
  • 6.2 DI SC (positioned where the old 6.2 LSA was)

This is PURE SPECULATION, but from a business perspective, it would likely increase the "attach rate" on engine upgrades, assuming they priced them like they used to (i.e. that first upgrade needs to be < $5K msrp).  I'm probably wrong but it's fun to imagine all the fun possibilities that line up would create.  For example, maybe a new 6.6 DI becomes the base motor in the M235??

Bringing it back to the new Chevy HD... can anybody say "Family Truckster?"

Very interesting theory and can you imagine the LT4 in  a boat?! :drool:

And my bad about the brake controller, I said it in the post, "I know I shouldn't ask..." Pretty much went the way I expected...

I know they were going for bold with this redesign and they did it... but I don't think in a good way. IDK who knows what full production trucks will look like, there is still an opportunity for tweaks and like I said I will be curious to see the different grill options and trim packages. The 1500 has quite a few front end combos, I'd imagine the 2500 will as well.

Suppose

2 hours ago, Falko said:

We're pacing ourselves, it's going to be a long winter. I think talking about that grill is on the schedule for... let me see.... ah here it is, January 16th. 

When do we talk about whether it has enough cup holders?  I seem to remember that being a big debate on some truck.