Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD

RyanB

Chevy has announced their new HD. Some good features including two new engines (updated Duramax with a 10 speed Ally and a new gasser). 

Looks are always subjective. Their front end will take a while to grow on me......

Aside from the looks. I'd be concerned about just how often this thing is changing gears while towing, with a 10-speed transmission.

Are we assuming the V8 will be the same as the 6.2L in the 1500?

9 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Aside from the looks. I'd be concerned about just how often this thing is changing gears while towing, with a 10-speed transmission.

Are we assuming the V8 will be the same as the 6.2L in the 1500?

The shifting of the 10 speed EcoBoost Ford is Flawless.  I have never felt it shifting if it does and I have a 25LSV.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, NHolladay said:

The shifting of the 10 speed EcoBoost Ford is Flawless.  I have never felt it shifting if it does and I have a 25LSV.

If it's not shifting, then what's the point? This thing is supposedly going to be rated around 30k towing. That's a bit more than a 25LSV. I understand where you're coming from though. If it holds up and it's not annoying, then great. Just a concern, that's all.

5 minutes ago, NHolladay said:

Second this... I tow at over 5000 feet with a 3.5 ecoboost, with the 10 speed (Im pretty sure that tranny was a collaboration between GM and Ford).   It tows wonderfully, both on the flat, and climbing fairly serious hills (which I do every time I go to the lake).   Mileage without the boat is surprisingly high (I can get 20+ calculated).   When towing it is pretty thirsty as the turbos are kicked in.  

I wouldnt be too concerned about the transmission hunting...

I think this is a great truck!  I think GM did a fantastic job with it.  The styling, while subjective, is better to me than previous generations.  I really, really like this truck.  While I'm not buying anytime soon I think it's pretty sick.

As far as the 10 speed is concerned, and as echoed by others, I wouldn't be worried.  @JeffC is correct.  The 10 speed transmission was jointly developed between Ford and GM however I'm not sure if the Allison was part of that collaborative effort.  There are others on this forum who will know better than I, but either way I suspect this will be a hell of a performer. 

• Like 1

The 10 speed Ally is NOT the same one as what is being used in the Ford trucks and GM F-cars. 

I believe the new gasser is a 6.6 L. 

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/next-gen-gm-hd-trucks-to-introduce-new-6-6l-v-8-gasoline-engine/amp/

Edited by RyanB

Looks better than the Ford ;)  I like the outside for the most part.  Question is have they done anything to the interior, I've always been fond of the exterior of the Chevy/GMC but the interiors have always lacked, especially control placement.  Wonder if they put the trailer brake controller on the right yet? (took ram a few years to figure this out} 

Edited by oldjeep

I like the functional features. The grill, well, to each his own. I think they need to start looking at electric motor helpers for these trucks. If you want to get better gas mileage, help them with the acceleration part of driving. 

The 10spd transmissions, do they actually hit every gear when driving, or do they use like 6 but fine tune when needed with the other four? Seems like a lot of wear on shifting going up through 10 gears all the time. I could see locking out the first one or two low gears unless you have it in tow/haul or the engine feels the need to drop down. I've been in one of the newer 8 spds lately and it feels like the truck starts to move and then shifts up. With the power of newer trucks, that first gear is almost wasted when unladen.

ahopkins22LSV

Not a fan of that front end configuration. Will be interested to see the othe trim and grill options, plus what it will look like with no chrom and color matched. Really like the rest of the truck too. I’ve been in talks with some people that are involved with testing these trucks and they are absolute beats according to them.

I'm afraid to ask but going to anyway... how in the world is having the trailer brake controller on the left side of the steering wheel “wrong”?

40 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The 10 speed Ally is NOT the same one as what is being used in the Ford trucks and GM F-cars. 

I believe the new gasser is a 6.6 L. 

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/next-gen-gm-hd-trucks-to-introduce-new-6-6l-v-8-gasoline-engine/amp/

Thanks for the confirmation.  I didn't think the Allison was the same.  

19 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Not a fan of that front end configuration. Will be interested to see the othe trim and grill options, plus what it will look like with no chrom and color matched. Really like the rest of the truck too. I’ve been in talks with some people that are involved with testing these trucks and they are absolute beats according to them.

I'm afraid to ask but going to anyway... how in the world is having the trailer brake controller on the left side of the steering wheel “wrong”?

they showed a single cab work truck, it was hideous

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

they showed a single cab work truck, it was hideous

I guess a work truck is technically a different trim package but not really something I’d consider, I wonder what the LT, 1LT, 2LT, LT all star, etc will be.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Just doesn't feel natural to be using the oh-s*** switch there.  Most folks are right handed, most vehicle controls that require fine motor skills are on the right.  The left is for headlight switches and brake releases.  Most folks mount their aftermarket controllers where they can reach them with right hand and the panic switches were always set up to work best with your right hand.  When Ram came out with their integrated controller in 2010 a lot of people who use them frequently complained and they moved it to the right side at some point - where it is on my 2018.

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Just doesn't feel natural to be using the oh-s*** switch there.  Most folks are right handed, most vehicle controls that require fine motor skills are on the right.  The left is for headlight switches and brake releases.  Most folks mount their aftermarket controllers where they can reach them with right hand and the panic switches were always set up to work best with your right hand.  When Ram came out with their integrated controller in 2010 a lot of people who use them frequently complained and they moved it to the right side at some point - where it is on my 2018.

My experience is limited with electronic brakes. When I helped with a lawn company in college we hardly ever adjusted them. Do you have to adjust them frequently?

26 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

My experience is limited with electronic brakes. When I helped with a lawn company in college we hardly ever adjusted them. Do you have to adjust them frequently?

IMO, it’s not a matter of adjusting them. It is being able to reach down and apply the brakes should your trailer begin to sway. 

Pretty sure it is on the left side in my 2012 RAM. And I think it is on the left in my Yukon. 

And I can’t imagine making a purchase decision based on its location. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I prefer on the right, that is where it normally has been for decades.  I remember the addon versions, always on the right. Not a big deal tho. I think on my '13 6.7 ctd it is on the right.

36 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

IT isn't about adjustment, it is about going down an icy hill and having to grab the manual brake actuator to straighten the trailer out when it is lurching back and forth.

8 minutes ago, RyanB said:

IMO, it’s not a matter of adjusting them. It is being able to reach down and apply the brakes should your trailer begin to sway. 

Pretty sure it is on the left side in my 2012 RAM. And I think it is on the left in my Yukon. 

And I can’t imagine making a purchase decision based on its location. 

Not a purchase decision, but it did make me decide to install an aftermarket controller in my 09 rather than retrofitting the stock 2010 unit.

8 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do the factory ones have a manual brake apply button? I don’t think my does but again, little experience overall and never used it in my truck

Yes, that is what the slidy thingie is for 😂

post-118380-0-19540100-1484448536_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2