Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New tow vehicle

Steve B.

Saw that the other day.   Specs are great if they are real.  Trying to figure out where all the batteries are for a 400 mile range on what seems like it would be a pretty heavy vehicle.   Also curious what the range drops to when towing at or near its 11K tow rating

3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Intriguing for sure.  If it can do 200 miles on a charge towing, it could replace my GMC.

The price point didn't seem too bad either.  I would have guessed way more than 50 - 70k.

12 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

The price point didn't seem too bad either.  I would have guessed way more than 50 - 70k.

Agreed.  If it's $120k to get into that range, that's a different story...

1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

Depends if that is real price or an inflated MSRP.  I could just about buy 2 of my current truck for 70K

Can you condition the batteries to totally discharge just before recharge as that conditioning in any battery determined it’s ability to output at lower charge numbers snd be reliable when not in full charge 

if always used for partial charging from say 35-50% or more to full and keep using tgat wsy the batteries will not  take charge to 100 and discharge all the way to  say 10% and still be reliable 

once not reliable the inevitable battery change comes into play earlier and the cost above becomes not so accurate

nothing is as energy and cost efficient as a gallon of gasoline and with gas headed to 2008 levels that got to 1.47 here for 89 octane!!!!! Now makes this total insanity 

you can barely beat $8/g gas in economic benefit, why do you think the crazy Europeans still buy it at $3/liter

Edited by granddaddy55
3 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Can you condition the batteries to totally discharge just before recharge as that conditioning in any battery determined it’s ability to output at lower charge numbers snd be reliable when not in full charge 

if always used for partial charging from say 35-50% or more to full and keep using tgat wsy the batteries will not  take charge to 100 and discharge all the way to  say 10% and still be reliable 

once not reliable the inevitable battery change comes into play earlier and the cost above becomes not so accurate

nothing is as energy and cost efficient as a gallon of gasoline 

you can barely beat $8/g gas in economic benefit, why do you think the crazy Europeans still buy it at $3/liter

Tesla has some pretty crazy battery management, I'd assume that another premium brand would have the same.  Another potential issue in colder climates would be that Tesla actually uses battery power when parked to keep the batteries up to a particular temperature.

And if electric were to get very popular , the oil companies would start spot refining to each purchase and gas would go through the roof, it wouldn’t get cheaper cause less demand 

i hope electric never dominates , I grew up on cheap gas boating, used to fill up in 85’ on $.50/ gallon premium, I wsnt electric around just enough to keep a lid on prices 

we used to go lake and bar skimming at 60 miles an hour in our outboards and it would cost nothing all day , we used to run wide open alll the time cause it was cheap and older high compression 2stroke outboards want to run like that all lubricated inside the cylinders 

Edited by granddaddy55
32 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Tesla has some pretty crazy battery management, I'd assume that another premium brand would have the same.  Another potential issue in colder climates would be that Tesla actually uses battery power when parked to keep the batteries up to a particular temperature.

Guy brought his Tesla to airport in Texas and left home on full charge to park it during one or two week trip and left it there snd you shoukd have read his story about getting home that night, 1st the airport had a charger but it was so dead he had to wait to get some charge, then in the way home cause it was going to take too many hours on the inadequate airport charger to get full and then the drive home as it plummeted in charge quickly and he had to find a hard to find charger a gas station /bar, real seedy place he said snd didn’t want to be there for long, it was a hilarious story 

the guy said if he knew that he wouldn’t have used it that way and that he woujd have preferred to tow it home if he had known what he was going to go through, I think he was 50-70 miles or less from airport 

its a novelty item and if it ever were to dominate the environment damage would be way worse from the dig pits fir lithium and the wrecking of the industry that built this country , OIL!!!!! With a gasser and a good alternator someone gives you a jump and off you go, run out of gas and someone brings you a lousy gallon and it’s enough to get you to one of an abundant number of filling stations

and the idea that we’re going to build this network of charging stations to compete with the refineries and gas stations is just not economic reality even at $8/ gallon plus you have to sit there and wait with everybody else in the same boat , how much real estate would you need for those dedicated hours long parking spaces  powered by gas, coal, and nuclear powered electricity , you know the efficient energy source

anybody ever watch the isle of Mann TT race , electric bike was very fast but not nearly as quick as the gasers over whole race and they raced in their own separate class I think , try accelerating from 30-70 to 120-160 repeatedly over and over and see how well the electric bike or car does then !!!

remember how fast model slot cars were, why? Constant electrical contacts to electrical circuit run by coal, gas , or nuclear power plants , that’s how!!!

and as @oldjeep says you can buy a whole replacement car probably for price of 1-4 battery changes 

Edited by granddaddy55

Think of a gas powered vehicle. One gallon of energy.  Approx 17000 btu. You can go anywhere, no cords. Diesel is similar, but not as convenient. Gas is everywhere. If you need more you can refuel immediately. No wait to recharge. I like diesel trucks, gas powered muscle cars. Loud.

16 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Guy brought his Tesla to airport in Texas and left home on full charge to park it during one or two week trip and left it there snd you shoukd have read his story about getting home that night, 1st the airport had a charger but it was so dead he had to wait to get some charge, then in the way home cause it was going to take too many hours on the inadequate airport charger to get full and then the drive home as it plummeted in charge quickly and he had to find a hard to find charger a gas station /bar, real seedy place he said snd didn’t want to be there for long, it was a hilarious story 

the guy said if he knew that he wouldn’t have used it that way and that he woujd have preferred to tow it home if he had known what he was going to go through, I think he was 50-70 miles or less from airport 

its a novelty item and if it ever were to dominate the environment damage would be way worse from the dig pits fir lithium and the wrecking of the industry that built this country , OIL!!!!! With a gasser and a good alternator someone gives you a jump and off you go, run out of gas and someone brings you a lousy gallon and it’s enough to get you to one of an abundant number of filling stations

and the idea that we’re going to build this network of charging stations to compete with the refineries and gas stations is just not economic reality even at $8/ gallon plus you have to sit there and wait with everybody else in the same boat , how much real estate would you need for those dedicated hours long parking spaces  powered by gas, coal, and nuclear powered electricity , you know the efficient energy source

anybody ever watch the isle of Mann TT race , electric bike was very fast but not nearly as quick as the gasers over whole race and they raced in their own separate class I think , try accelerating from 30-70 to 120-160 repeatedly over and over and see how well the electric bike or car does then !!!

remember how fast model slot cars were, why? Constant electrical contacts to electrical circuit run by coal, gas , or nuclear power plants , that’s how!!!

and as @oldjeep says you can buy a whole replacement car probably for price of 1-4 battery changes 

The Tesla is a different animal. You have to know your limitations with it. But a novelty? I think they are more than that. I know several people with them and they fit their lifestyles very well. One guy has a huge solar bank that he charges his car from, never pays for gas/electricity for his vehicles. We have three Tesla charging stations around here that I can think of, all readily available (and of course the big set is outside a Panera). 

And if you've never driven or ridden in one, you should. They are a different experience. Are they the end all be all? No, wouldn't say that, but that technology is only going to grow.

The biggest barrier to the electric car is the home infrastructure

1) Do you park your car in the garage - great then maybe you can install a charging station if your home electrical supports it

2) Do you park in the driveway - well maybe an outside charger or an extension cord

3) Do you park in the street - pretty well screwed there

4) Do you park in a parking garage - again, pretty unlikely that the entire structure is going to support charging cars

18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The biggest barrier to the electric car is the home infrastructure

1) Do you park your car in the garage - great then maybe you can install a charging station if your home electrical supports it

2) Do you park in the driveway - well maybe an outside charger or an extension cord

3) Do you park in the street - pretty well screwed there

4) Do you park in a parking garage - again, pretty unlikely that the entire structure is going to support charging cars

At one time, there was no infrastructure for gasoline either. Times change. 

There are many areas that already are adapting to electric cars. I fly out of DEN every week. There are charging stations at the airport. Many businesses have them, and there have been some that have been placed on streets in California. 

That said, much electricity is still produced by using fossil fuel. 

31 minutes ago, Falko said:

The Tesla is a different animal. You have to know your limitations with it. But a novelty? I think they are more than that. I know several people with them and they fit their lifestyles very well. One guy has a huge solar bank that he charges his car from, never pays for gas/electricity for his vehicles. We have three Tesla charging stations around here that I can think of, all readily available (and of course the big set is outside a Panera). 

And if you've never driven or ridden in one, you should. They are a different experience. Are they the end all be all? No, wouldn't say that, but that technology is only going to grow.

17 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Interesting topic on talk radio last week... pertaining to this.. The former President of Shell, John Hofmeister, stated that we will not see a big movement towards alternative power vehicles until 2040. This is when he believes that Hydrogen power will be significantly reduced and the cost to produce hydrogen cars will reduce as well. Battery will never be the wave of the future due to range anxiety. However, it will a niche market and still be around as it is today. 

I prefer the interaction of a gas power engine (noise, sensory inputs) especially on the track. But the electric engine is way more effecient and responsive.

With that said, I guess we will have to see what the future really has to offer.

As for flying cars.. I never believe this will happen as morons can't even drive on the ground ;) 

4 hours ago, Falko said:

Agreed.  Teslas are amazing vehicles.  Go drive one.  And the best part is they have forced others to innovate (ie Ford).  So much propaganda out there it's ridiculous.  Maybe electric isn't the end all be all, but gas vehicles sure aren't either.  Nor have they changed much in a century.   Unfortunately hydrogen cars are still more of a hanging carrot (promise for future) that keeps us buying gas.  

I'm jaded.   Because, follow the dollar.   That being said I still own a fuel-sucking 8.1, a 7.3 diesel and lots of spark plug motors.  :)  But bring on new technology.   

4 hours ago, rugger said:

Agreed.  Teslas are amazing vehicles.  Go drive one.  And the best part is they have forced others to innovate (ie Ford).  So much propaganda out there it's ridiculous.  Maybe electric isn't the end all be all, but gas vehicles sure aren't either.  Nor have they changed much in a century.   Unfortunately hydrogen cars are still more of a hanging carrot (promise for future) that keeps us buying gas.  

I'm jaded.   Because, follow the dollar.   That being said I still own a fuel-sucking 8.1, a 7.3 diesel and lots of spark plug motors.  :)  But bring on new technology.   

I have 5 cars I have to take care of, 2 college cars and 3 in the drive....  Thankfully my son has graduated college and pays his own way now.  

There is a high probability that our next car, the Mom and Dad one, will be electric.  Range is not the issue as it will be in the garage at night and trips and towing will be with other vehicles.  I am even thinking of a Tesla roof and  wall unit.

Since the purchase is a few years away, I am rooting for the “other guys”.  Competition drives innovation, just want to see some of that land in the show room.

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

At one time, there was no infrastructure for gasoline either. Times change. 

There are many areas that already are adapting to electric cars. I fly out of DEN every week. There are charging stations at the airport. Many businesses have them, and there have been some that have been placed on streets in California. 

That said, much electricity is still produced by using fossil fuel. 

And everything is federally and /or state subsidized including Tesla and the charging stations , agsin the real estate it takes to provide commercial charging activities availabke to general public is subsidized and woujd  have to be subsidized if it was tried on larger pieces of real estate that would accommodate  general public, acres and acres and acres , gas station few in a few out plus snack shopping traffic , small real estate and with convenience store and food, quite profitable  

even solar panels even with net metering are subsidized. That’s why most states have come up with peak power add ons cause try to start your air condituiner in a hot day from your panels alone, you can’t , you have to have peak availability to start and run or massive battery banks, especially if multiple compressors kick on at once      

Whole electrical clean energy industry is completely subsidized by tax breaks and net metering , agsin try to start your air conditioner without the power company’s side of your “net metering “

Edited by granddaddy55