Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet replace

foreste1

Hi, what is everybody using/company when they replace carpet?  I want to pull mine out and glue down new over winter, was thinking you guys must of done this before and know where to get the right carpet.  I was going to just go to HD/Lowes and see what they have but if anybody has better ideas please let me know, thanks.  By the way my boat is older, 97 Sunsetter, so the stock carpet seams pretty basic.

@foreste1:  I would go with a marine carpet supplier, you can find several online options using a search.  I did the carpet replacement and am very happy with the results.  I simply did a search and compare across several of the companies online and picked what seemed as the best option then.  Depends on what you are looking for specifically, I tried to match as close as possible what was there and not go too plush for a few reasons, one being plusher carpet stays wet longer.  The online merchants will ship for free and they have more waterproof glue options.  Overtons, Corinthian Marine, Boat Carpet outlet / central / .com are a few of the options online.  The online stores also have or provide good instructions on what you are about to get in to.  Also, there are several threads on this site about carpet redo's, some good reading before you start.  It is a rewarding result once completed.

Thank you, so you like the hydroturf over the carpet?  I was reading your posts it sounds like it was easy to cut and lay in place.  I am in Phoenix and wondering how hot that product gets, my carpet is dark gray and gets super hot in summer!

Has anybody used Seadek in place of carpet?  I see a lot of fishing boat pics with it and swim platforms, but not really any Malibu's with it in place of carpet?

I did check with deckadence but they want around $900 for a sheet.  I am not 100% sure I will keep boat much longer and just thinking of something possibly better than carpet but not too expensive.

@foreste1:  Given you note selling your boat you might want to go carpet, since that is original will probably keep resale a bit higher across all potential buyers.  Less chance of someone also giving 'alternate flooring' a reason not to buy your boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2015 23LSV that I bought a 6’x12’ Luna gray piece of Deckadence  from Jim’s Marine Flooring last winter.  Jim was fantastic to deal with and had the best prices around and I would buy from him again.   That being said, I never installed mine as we traded the boat in.  If anyone is interested, I would make a very good deal on it.  I never took it out of the box, but did tear the box open when it arrived.  I am in the Chicago area.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 12:08 AM, kinger034 said:

I had a 2015 23LSV that I bought a 6’x12’ Luna gray piece of Deckadence  from Jim’s Marine Flooring last winter.  Jim was fantastic to deal with and had the best prices around and I would buy from him again.   That being said, I never installed mine as we traded the boat in.  If anyone is interested, I would make a very good deal on it.  I never took it out of the box, but did tear the box open when it arrived.  I am in the Chicago area.

@kinger034 How much do you want for it? 

On 12/7/2018 at 6:31 AM, CLTMalibu08 said:

Check out the deckadence type material. I am ordering a 4x10 sheet to do my VLX this winter from American Floor mats

The American floor mats are fantastic. In my 2016 the grey soft grip flooring would get way to hot. We would put towels down to keep your feet from burning up. I took a chance and ordered a roll from American Floor mat.  Then I cut it out to fit over the top of the factory soft grip flooring. No glueing or adhesive. It stays in place perfectly. Everybody loves the new mat. 

F23AC2A3-2193-4B23-9EFF-6525C27C1CED.jpeg

E6FB7922-179A-4178-9C03-4E1C5D92C62C.jpeg

Edited by Dfowkes
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

The American floor mats are fantastic. In my 2016 the grey soft grip flooring would get way to hot. We would put towels down to keep your feet from burning up. I took a chance and ordered a roll from American Floor mat.  Then I cut it out to fit over the top of the factory soft grip flooring. No glueing or adhesive. It stays in place perfectly. Everybody loves the new mat. 

F23AC2A3-2193-4B23-9EFF-6525C27C1CED.jpeg

E6FB7922-179A-4178-9C03-4E1C5D92C62C.jpeg

That looks really good.  How do you get to the center hatch/t-handle?  I was debating a full carpet replacement with the imitation seadeck from eBay but that actually looks like a better and easier replacement.  What size did you order from them?

On 12/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, foreste1 said:

Thank you, so you like the hydroturf over the carpet?  I was reading your posts it sounds like it was easy to cut and lay in place.  I am in Phoenix and wondering how hot that product gets, my carpet is dark gray and gets super hot in summer!

Yeah, very easy to work with and does not get hot in the sun. They will send you free samples if you request one from the hydro turf website to check out. We couldn’t be happier with it.

2 hours ago, efjeld said:

That looks really good.  How do you get to the center hatch/t-handle?  I was debating a full carpet replacement with the imitation seadeck from eBay but that actually looks like a better and easier replacement.  What size did you order from them?

Since it’s not glued down, I just lift the mat out of the way to access the hatch. I think ordered the 4ft by 16ft without backing or edges. If you are just laying it down over the fiberglass you might want to consider getting the backing option? They will send free samples. My family and friends all love and comment on how good the mat feels and looks.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

You’ve got more options than just carpet! I used hydro turf on ours when I pulled the old carpet. Love not walking on smelly wet carpet now.

Are they Hydro Turfs expensive?

7 hours ago, cruisinty84 said:

Are they Hydro Turfs expensive?

I guess it depends on what you think is expensive. I did my floor for around $300 for the material and contact cement.