Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Delete on 19 23 LSV

billstephenson7362

Great feedback from everyone, greatly appreciated!  One last question since I have now decided to order the boat without the tower speakers and sub.  I am either going to go with a couple pairs of Icon 8's, or even considering a pair of Rev 10' along with a pair of Icon 8's if they would they pair well together.  I haven't called and talked to the Wet Sounds guys yet on that one. 

My question is, do I need an adapter to mount both pairs to the tower, or do they mount directly without the need to buy anything else?  I am assuming I would be buying the ones with the X mount?

Sorry for all of the simple questions, but again this is my first Malibu, so just want to make sure I get things right!

Edited by billstephenson7362
10 minutes ago, billstephenson7362 said:

Great feedback from everyone, greatly appreciated!  One last question since I have now decided to order the boat without the tower speakers and sub.  I am either going to go with a couple pairs of Icon 8's, or even considering a pair of Rev 10' along with a pair of Icon 8's if they would they pair well together.  I haven't called and talked to the Wet Sounds guys yet on that one. 

My question is, do I need an adapter to mount both pairs to the tower, or do they mount directly without the need to buy anything else?  I am assuming I would be buying the ones with the X mount?

Sorry for all of the simple questions, but again this is my first Malibu, so just want to make sure I get things right!

I have run two pairs of rev10s.  I have run one pair of rev10s.  I have run two pair of icons.

A single pair of rev10s is the best bang for the buck and is plenty for most people.

I wouldn't even consider mixing revs with icons.  You'd have to power them differently and cross them over differently and the revs would overpower the icons.  Rev10s are a great sounding HLCD.  probably the best all around tower speaker I've heard, where size/price/near field/wakeboard range are all taken into consideration.

You want to get the wetsounds DUAL speaker brackets (even if only mounting one pair), because the dual brackets mount the revs the highest and tighest in the corner of the g.x tower (I assume that you are getting the g.x tower?).  The higher you can mount the speakers the better ... keeps from blasting cabin occupants.  Also get the swivel mounts because you will want to tilt the speakers up a bit so they are playing level when the boat is nose high under load.

19 minutes ago, billstephenson7362 said:

I am either going to go with a couple pairs of Icon 8's, or even considering a pair of Rev 10' along with a pair of Icon 8's if they would they pair well together.  I haven't called and talked to the Wet Sounds guys yet on that one. 

One issue with mixing different types and/or sizes, you are best to have them on different amp chnls. This could require the cost of an additional amp, or hi output multi-chnl amp, in order to power each effectively. Additionally, the largest speaker is always going to dominate the smaller. In a case of a 10" HLCD and an 8" coaxial, if you power the 10" HLCD to their potential, you will likely not know the smaller 8" coaxials are there. So almost not worth the investment and battery power to drive them. 

Even though they are an HLCD, the extra mid-bass from the 10" driver really makes them best all around. Plenty of wake range projection power, yet still great sounding near field. 

I prefer the G3 dual mount, even for a single pair. You would want to go with the X-mount pods or the TC3-S. Your retailer/installer should be able to help with the finer details. 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, IXFE said:

Turns out the RCA adapters aren't that hard to find.  Some guys are even making their own.  

The part that makes my head hurt is the sub.  IMHO, it's the weakest link in the new WS factory setup (still much much better than the old RF junk).  But it's not an easy swap like it was on the older boats.  With the new two-piece boats the factory box (plastic and not necessarily sealed that well) is installed before the topdeck and hull come together.  The hole behind the billet speaker grill isn't big enough to get a new box in there.  If you don't order the sub at all (which would be the way to go) you just get a solid fiberglass wall under the helm. So you get to cut a HUGE hole in your new boat (i.e. measure 100x and cut once, lol).  Then plan, measure out, and install the new box.  Then fab up something to cover it all up and hopefully not look ghetto.  I dunno... just seems like a lot of risk/headache.  I know a shop here that has done a few custom subs in the newer boats, but they look "just okay" for me.  Working with the factory carpet panel was alot easier.    

I agree, I've never been a fan of WS subs.  

YEah that's the negative of the 2 piece hulls, plus it does seem like they are making less and less room under the helm in all wakeboats.  My buddy actually had his 15" sub glassed into his boat at the tige factory when it was built to get around this

I am also considering a delete for my 19. Still deciding between the 24mxz and 25. I have always done my own install on previous boats but as others have said I am not excited (or willing) to tackle the sub with the fiberglass construction. 

I am checking with Malibu through my dealer about ordering the factory sub/amp with no other audio or just having Malibu drop in the empty factory box and cover during the build and going from there. I am not optimistic that Malibu will play though. 

On a separate but related note has anyone heard anything about wetsounds releasing an Icon 10 tower speaker?  Seems natural since they already have a 10” coax in boat now. I think 2 pairs of icon 10s would be great on the Malibu towers. 

1 minute ago, lerch said:

I am also considering a delete for my 19. Still deciding between the 24mxz and 25. I have always done my own install on previous boats but as others have said I am not excited (or willing) to tackle the sub with the fiberglass construction. 

I am checking with Malibu through my dealer about ordering the factory sub/amp with no other audio or just having Malibu drop in the empty factory box and cover during the build and going from there. I am not optimistic that Malibu will play though. 

On a separate but related note has anyone heard anything about wetsounds releasing an Icon 10 tower speaker?  Seems natural since they already have a 10” coax in boat now. I think 2 pairs of icon 10s would be great on the Malibu towers. 

Nothing on the icon 10s, I did hear a rumor of rev 12s, but not sure if it's true since I heard it a while back.

I wonder if the new power tower is easier to wire than the G4.  Honestly rewiring that tower is what has been the largest road block for me redoing my stereo