Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Completely new interior Michigan, N Indiana, N Ohio

WoodyBC

Kicking around the idea of the interior of my 01 SSLXI completely replaced after the 2019 season. Modern vinyl, sea deck type flooring. Would like to find a professional shop to just do it all. I’ve checked out Gabes work via pics, but that is quite a haul from SW Michigan to California. I appreciate craftsmanship and am willing to pay for it. I really don’t want to do it myself but if I don’t have a choice I may. Anyone had this done and how did it turn out?  Secondly who did it for you and would you use them again?  What’s it going to cost me?  My interior isn’t bad, just getting older and in the long run I think just having it all done once will make sense instead of two cushions a year for the next ten years. 

Woody

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Your SSLXI has great bones and will serve you well.  Stay away from boat shows and freshen her up with some new vinyl.  

I will just make a pitch to anyone who has an older boat.  I restored mine a few years ago and have been really happy with her.   For a 99 model,  she is in great shape, turns heads and gets a lot of compliments.  I get a lot of satisfaction from having been thru the boat stem to stern a few times and being able to keep her up on my own.   I can say that without this forum, I would have given up years ago.   It would sure hurt me to sell her to anyone that didn't share the passion. 

I totally second this.  I still love my '97 Tantrum and get compliments all the time as well.  Love the simplicity of older boats, and heck we have a ton of fun, really the only thing we can't do behind the boat is surf it.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, WoodyBC said:

Kicking around the idea of the interior of my 01 SSLXI completely replaced after the 2019 season. Modern vinyl, sea deck type flooring. Would like to find a professional shop to just do it all. I’ve checked out Gabes work via pics, but that is quite a haul from SW Michigan to California. I appreciate craftsmanship and am willing to pay for it. I really don’t want to do it myself but if I don’t have a choice I may. Anyone had this done and how did it turn out?  Secondly who did it for you and would you use them again?  What’s it going to cost me?  My interior isn’t bad, just getting older and in the long run I think just having it all done once will make sense instead of two cushions a year for the next ten years. 

Woody

It's a lot easier than you think.  I had my Echelon done in 2008 and it still looks great, by Lori's Sew Shop, (dba LSS Upholstery).  Since having it done I've removed the combing panels for speaker work, removed the rear bench vinyl to fix a sunpad bracket issue, removed the captain's seat vinyl and sent it to Chee for a matching jump seat, etc.  Doing that stuff makes me realize I can definitely install any vinyl myself, really easy.  Can't find their number anymore tho.  If I were doing it again, based on what I've heard here from the crew, I'd go with Gabe (via mail) and wouldn't bother looking anywhere else.

• Like 2

I agree with @Michigan boarder, it is easier then you think. I did a 98 Sportster a few years back but did have a professional do the actual vinyl, I just removed the panels and sent them in. I would love to see your SSLXI redone, still the best boat on the market.

• Like 2