Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Sounds MC1 Questions

browneye253

Question 1: I picked up an MC1 to replace my old head unit and I'm wondering since the MC1 has separate zone / eq do I still need to run the 420?  The only thing I can think I'd lose would be the Mic on the 420 which would devastate my kids.  

Question 2: Does the MC1 control RGB lighting on its own or is it required to add a separate RGB controller and connect them?

1) you could continue to use the 3 zone EQ w/MIC, by just using one zone output of the MC-1. Or, you could run the tower zone out of the MC1 to the 420 input, then out to the tower amp and still use the MIC only. 

2) You can control RGB LEDs through the MC1, but you need the WS-4Z-RGB-BB interface. It actually controls the LEDs, via the input commands from the MC-1. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MLA said:

1) you could continue to use the 3 zone EQ w/MIC, by just using one zone output of the MC-1. Or, you could run the tower zone out of the MC1 to the 420 input, then out to the tower amp and still use the MIC only. 

2) You can control RGB LEDs through the MC1, but you need the WS-4Z-RGB-BB interface. It actually controls the LEDs, via the input commands from the MC-1. 

Thanks for that feedback.  I just got the MC1 in the mail yesterday and I'm a little shocked and excited by the size of the display.  Do you happen to know how cleanly that display would fit if I replaced the Rockford head unit on my 2012 LSV?   They look similar in size but the boat is an hour away for the winter.

Also.. the LED control have you played with that on the MC1 is it pretty intuitive?  I like the idea of one interface to control everything.

I dont have RGB's in my boat but I swapped the stock headunit in my axis for the MC1 when it first came out last year. I love that thing. My favorite part of my boat besides the wave. 

28 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

I dont have RGB's in my boat but I swapped the stock headunit in my axis for the MC1 when it first came out last year. I love that thing. My favorite part of my boat besides the wave. 

After getting it in my hands last night I'm pumped for warmer weather to roll around so I can do the install.  

On my install, the Rockford HU was recessed into the vinyl in the walkway. The MC1 is 1/8-1/4" wider and taller which was a pain for me. But in your LSV, I believe the HU is not recessed into a pocket (on your dash) so you should be fine with the slightly larger width and height.

Edited by lonestar
1 hour ago, browneye253 said:

After getting it in my hands last night I'm pumped for warmer weather to roll around so I can do the install.  

The volume presets are so worth the cost of the unit. I have presets for surfing, wakeboarding, and docking. And its easy to adjust on the fly. Not quite as easy as a 420, but once you understand the butttons and knobs it will be second nature. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, lonestar said:

On my install, the Rockford HU was recessed into the vinyl in the walkway. The MC1 is 1/8-1/4" wider and taller which was a pain for me. But in your LSV, I believe the HU is not recessed into a pocket (on your dash) so you should be fine with the slightly larger width and height.

@lonestar do you have pics of your install i have to do this on a 2010 VLX with recessed rockford as well. 

@jhartt3 I don't but I can get some. My installation is not perfect - the cuts were a little tricky since I left the vinyl on the panel and tried to just peel it back enough to get the dremel on it. The cuts in the plastic are not straight enough and you can see this waviness in the vinyl around the HU. In hindsight I should have peeled more vinyl back from the hole or even completely removed the vinyl for the hole trimming process and just re-glued afterwards. Also dremel wasn't best method for cutting the plastic, tended to melt and leave rough edges that I then tried to file smooth.

49416173012_c8faf6aa07_k.jpgIMG_0945 by Lone Star, on Flickr

49415487888_558c083387_k.jpgIMG_0947 by Lone Star, on Flickr

Edited by lonestar
added photos